PDA

View Full Version : Another Avalanche Pass Question

AMF
01-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm planning a ski trip to the area, intending to set a base camp in the Avalanche Pass area to do day trips out of, & wondered about camping opportunities. Are there suitable sites before or after the pass? Is the pass negotiable pulling a sled?

rdl
01-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Coming from Marcy Dam there are designated campsites and a lean-to at the point where the Avalanche Pass hiking trail/ski trail and Lake Arnold trail diverge. I guess that's about 1 mile from Avalanche Lake and about 700 ft in elavation gain. At the south end, I believe the closest campsites would be at Lake Colden.

Regarding pulling a sled I'll defer that to others.

Pete_Hickey
01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
There are no legal campsites in the pass. Just before the climb into the pass (from the Loj side), there are some designated sites and a lean-to. THis is known as Avalanche Camp. From there up to the pass is too steep to find a campsite, unless you are sleeping in a hammock. Years ago, there used to be a designated campsite just after Avalanche Lake. I don't know if it still exists... I don't know if it was legal either.. It was rather close to teh trail.

Pulling a sled.... With skis? It won't be easy. The trail is steep, zig-zaggy, and narros in places. It will be easy pulling it to Avalanche Camp and across Avalanche Lake.

NYBRAD
01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
I think I recall seeing Camping Discs at the sites on your left, just after passing Avalanche Lake about a year ago. They are, close to the trail, but they looked legal to me.

percious
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
We used that campsite after avalance lake last february. It was really excellent. I think you could get a sled in there no problem. There are some steep sections, but i think its pretty much do-able. Just leave some extra time for navigating the small climb. The lakes are beautiful in the winter. I plan to try and pull a sled all the way to Colden in february. All I have to do is get some skis....