blue mtn conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I did a small mountain near long lake last weekend. Thought I might need my crampons so I put them on at my car. They are so hard to put on on the trail I figured I would need them higher up at least. Halfway Up I took them off because there still was no snow. It is so hard to walk on those full crampons when there is no snow.:( On blue this weekend, will the upper section be icy? Maybe I could get along with instep crampons and yaktracks?

hmmm

wearing your traction devices or crampons on snowless iceless trails of rock and dirt unril you get to such conditions? . . . . about the same as wearing snowshoes on snowless ground. Tremedous wear and tear on your devices unnecessarily and probably very dangerous on the roots.

I wear my crampons and walk all over my front lawn as soon as the snow is gone in order to promote aeration of the root system. I get some funny looks from the neighbours for sure but my lawn is a deep lush green.

An additional benefit is that it is an excellent proprioceptive exercise for the ankle joints.

I have a similar issue. My tent is difficult to set up in the dark. So when I know I won't be getting into camp until after dark, I'll set up my tent earlier in the day, and then carry it like that until I reach my destination.

It used to be so hard to walk with that tent...that is, until I cut out some leg holes in my tent floor. Now I just leave the tent set up all the time, and when I go hiking, I just throw all my gear in the tent, climb in, stick my legs out the holes, and start walking. The only difficult part is driving to the trailhead like that. I'm still working out the kinks.

Wow, tough crowd. You would have thought he was posting on NEIce.

Seriously though: Yes, expect lots of ice on Blue, and yes, you need to practice with the crampons until you are proficient at putting them on and taking them off quickly and easily. If it's still very difficult after practice, then the crampons may not be compatible with the boots; check at your local shop.

Hmmmm....

I have a similar issue. My tent is difficult to set up in the dark. So when I know I won't be getting into camp until after dark, I'll set up my tent earlier in the day, and then carry it like that until I reach my destination.

It used to be so hard to walk with that tent...that is, until I cut out some leg holes in my tent floor. Now I just leave the tent set up all the time, and when I go hiking, I just throw all my gear in the tent, climb in, stick my legs out the holes, and start walking. The only difficult part is driving to the trailhead like that. I'm still working out the kinks.

Very Creative....Your solution to setting up the tent in the dark was great;) Maybe you could help me with a small problem. I have had some problems with starting my little burner to heat up some water at night for some late night tea. The darkness really makes it hard to find the right place to light the gas. Do you have any suggestions that might help? :D

Anyone drive from home with their snowshoes or crampons on, to avoid having to put them on at the trailhead? (except Toyota owners)?

Very Creative....Your solution to setting up the tent in the dark was great;) Maybe you could help me with a small problem. I have had some problems with starting my little burner to heat up some water at night for some late night tea. The darkness really makes it hard to find the right place to light the gas. Do you have any suggestions that might help? :D
Teejay might have some creative tent solutions if you desire one...

-Dr. Wu

Anyone drive home with snowshoes or gear on top of your roof? :eek:
(Thread resurrection, but Wu made me do it! :D )

Judging from the gear I've found on the ADK Loj road, yes! :D

We almost had to drive home with Laurie's snowshoes still on her feet. They got wet, and the bindings were frozen solid. Took a while to get them off!

Status
Not open for further replies.