WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gale River (south gate to Garfield) gated at 11 AM today, do not know about the north gate...

I saw a report that the gate at the other end of the Gale river loop road was also confirmed closed. The road was icy last weekend but nothing that a competent driver would have an issue with but I expect they need to plan for the incompetent drivers. ;)

Anyone know where an updated report is. Appears WMNF has not updated since 5/2015. Any news on Clinton Rd and/or Jefferson Notch. Of course all this can change by 12/22

I would suggest calling the state of NH DOT district headquarters for Jefferson Notch road and Mt Clinton Road as the state controls these gates not WMNF.

The roads are icy and the FS has to assume the lowest common denominator for people driving on these roads. There are many spots unprotected by guardrails where sliding off the road can lead to major issues. The repaired washout on the Sawyer River road is an example, someone slides off the road and they are in a ravine. The FS also doesn't want to trap anyone in behind the gate so they tend to be conservative.

The roads are icy and the FS has to assume the lowest common denominator for people driving on these roads. There are many spots unprotected by guardrails where sliding off the road can lead to major issues. The repaired washout on the Sawyer River road is an example, someone slides off the road and they are in a ravine. The FS also doesn't want to trap anyone in behind the gate so they tend to be conservative.

Completely agree. It's interesting that Sawyer River Road wasn't on their December 9 closure list.:confused:

It is curious as to why they published a list of closed roads, but did not update the Forest Road Status page.

I wrote to complain about the road status page not being updated. Here is the response I received:

From: Sacchetti, James B -FS [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of FS-r9 whitemtn Info
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:15 PM
To:
Subject: RE: WWW Mail: Road Closure Status

Thanks for the feedback. We recently lost our webmaster and are a bit behind with web updates. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

James B. Sacchetti Jr
Visitor Services and Conservation Education Coordinator Forest Service White Mountain National Forest, Pemigewasset Ranger District
p: 603-536-6138
[email protected]
71 White Mountain Drive
Campton, NH 03223
www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 7:23 PM
To: FS-r9 whitemtn Info
Subject: WWW Mail: Road Closure Status

please update http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/whitemountain/home/?cid=stelprdb5183538 with info from http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/whitemountain/alerts-notices/?aid=31904

When I drove thru Crawford Notch on Sunday 12/9 , I confirmed that Sawyer River Road gate was still open, while Zealand road was still gated. Given the weather I expect Sawyer River road may be quite popular on the 22nd as its generally a long run walk to do Carrigan.

Pinkham B Road had a few rough, muddy ruts from traffic. A few were deep enough to keep the car in the tracks. I did not have trouble in a small car, but it was not ideal driving conditions. The road had ice on it two weeks ago when I was last on it but was completely clear of ice this past weekend.

Despite the FS site saying Sawyer river road is open until 23rd, it was closed this am

Anyone know if Jefferson notch is open? I heard it was as if this am

The north gate of Jefferson Notch road was open this afternoon (12/23). I did not drive up it so can not comment on the road conditions or if the south gate is open. Valley road which access the north gate appears to be in spring thaw conditions I.E. there is melted dirt on top of frozen ground. I could feel the ruts in spots. If the notch road is in this condition a regular passenger car might have issues. The south end washed out a few years ago and had a very high volume of real gravel hauled in so it usually is in better shape as its get more sun and in general has fewer steep sections.

The north gate of Jefferson Notch road was open this afternoon (12/23). I did not drive up it so can not comment on the road conditions or if the south gate is open. Valley road which access the north gate appears to be in spring thaw conditions I.E. there is melted dirt on top of frozen ground. I could feel the ruts in spots. If the notch road is in this condition a regular passenger car might have issues. The south end washed out a few years ago and had a very high volume of real gravel hauled in so it usually is in better shape as its get more sun and in general has fewer steep sections.

We found the Road open this morning (as well as Clinton Road). We bagged Jefferson all the way thru to Pierce today (J,W,M,E,P). Great mild day on the rock pile. sad theres no snow but we made the most of it.

Anyone know if Sandwich Notch Road from the east is open past Mead Base? Looking to get to the Guinea Pond Trailhead if possible (otherwise I'll going around from Flat Mtn Pond).

Anyone know if Rocky Branch Road is open yet? Is that even needed to access the Rocky Branch Trailhead (south, from Jericho Road)?

Last edited: