Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: WMNF Forest Road Status

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    That is my experience, as well...
    Thanks, Mike & Barkingcat. I went up there this morning on my way home: paved to (& including) Russell Pond Campground; very drivable for at least a mile after that in my minivan.

The WMNF site confirms this as well, but Sawyer River Road is open as of today (5/18)

Despite what I said in my 14 May post, Jefferson Notch Road has remained closed all spring and is still closed as of today.

The DOT district office in Lancaster today said today they passed bad info to me last week in saying the road was open.

My apologies to those VFTTers inconvenienced by my post.

Meanwhile, the Tunnel Brook Road's gate is still down and locked, apparently due to a small, downed tree about a yard beyond the gate! Someone had sawn two, small limbs from the tree but decided not to complete the job.

Having walked the road to its terminus at the Tunnel Brook trail head this past Sunday, I can confirm the road is firm and dry with no washouts.

I just passed this info to the USFS/Pemi Ranger District who appreciated receiving the feedback.

Hopefully the gate will be up in time for the Memorial weekend.

NHDOT reported this morning that Jefferson Notch Road will not be open for Memorial Day weekend. When asked if they knew when it might be open, they indicated they did not know but that "it wasn't even close".

Looks like it may be a while.

The number for the NHDOT for that area is (603) 788-4641
    Last edited by Carl; 05-22-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HH1 View Post
    Meanwhile, the Tunnel Brook Road's gate is still down and locked, apparently due to a small, downed tree about a yard beyond the gate! Someone had sawn two, small limbs from the tree but decided not to complete the job.

Having walked the road to its terminus at the Tunnel Brook trail head this past Sunday, I can confirm the road is firm and dry with no washouts.

I just passed this info to the USFS/Pemi Ranger District who appreciated receiving the feedback.

Hopefully the gate will be up in time for the Memorial weekend.
    I hope so too. The Tunnel Brook Trail is one of my favorites.

Cherry Mtn Rd is still closed too. The USFS guy I spoke to said "it needs some work before we open it", but gave no idea on when that would be.

WMNF site says Haystack Road is closed, but driving past it on Memorial Day the gate was wide open.

I make no promises.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    WMNF site says Haystack Road is closed, but driving past it on Memorial Day the gate was wide open.
    You are correct, sir! I drove up it on Monday and folks were hiking out of the North Twin trailhead.

The WMNF Road Status now shows Haystack Road as being Open.

The WMNF Road Status now shows Jefferson Notch Road as being Open.

Tunnel Brook Rd - Open
    Cherry Mtn Rd - Open

It's getting to be that time again.

Can those with experience comment on typical closure dates for the Carrigain, Haystack (North Twin), Zealand and Gale River Roads? In my experience, it's whenever the first big dump is, but I've never used three out of four of these.

Thanks,

--Mike

Just got word that the Ravine Lodge Road at Moosilauke is now closed.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Does anybody know if Ravine Lodge Road is still closed? The WMNF site lists it as closed, but the lodge opens in a few weeks and I assumed the road would open by now . . . or soon.

I sent an email to the DOC, but I haven't heard back yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got a reply. They expect to open the road on Monday.
    Last edited by Nutsosa; 04-22-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    "A man may smile and bid you hail
    Yet wish you to the devil;
    But when a good dog wags his tail
    You know he's on the level."
    -Unknown

Drove up Sandwich Notch Road today from the Thornton end to Upper Hall Pond.

The road is in pretty good shape to that point, aside from the usual Sandwich Notch Road hazards (potholes, ruts, rocks, shitty pavement, etc...)

Things were looking quite pretty today with the new snow coating the ground and trees. Upper Hall Pond was especially nice looking across to the snowy hillside. Upper Hall Pond Rd. is in good condition as well.

Forest Service website lists Sawyer River Road as now open. Can anyone confirm from the past weekend? This will be the start of all the major openings ... woo-hoo!
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey