WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandwich Notch Road was open today, though WMNF site still lists it as closed. Drove it end to end, rough in spots, but passable with care.

Probably time to re start this thread.

While coming north today there was quite a bit of ice on roads with 1-3 inches of snow

Gale River Road, Haystack Road, Zealand Road open

Drove up to Zealand, 2-3 inches of snow, a bit rutted. The hill would be slick with out 4 wheel drive

Thanks for posting that reminder, Mark. A friend of mine is trying to finish up her 4's, and needed Garfield, so we did that one yesterday before the road closed.

I just looked up the dates for deer hunting, and found this: "Firearms: November 13-December 8, 2013". So maybe the USFS will keep them open until the season closes?

Should have checked before I left the house, but found out the hard way that Evans Notch Road (ME 113) is closed, as of 11/12.

Is it closed from the north or south end? I thought it was open to the Bald Face Circle Trail / Cold River Camp areas all year, but closed from the north

It is almost certainly gated at both ends; however, the southern "end" is just north of the Baldface Circle Trail / Cold River Camp area.

It is almost certainly gated at both ends; however, the southern "end" is just north of the Baldface Circle Trail / Cold River Camp area.
The gate at the N end is past the last house S from Gilead

The gate at the S end is well N of Cold River Camp near the ME state line, but I think the plow turnaround is at the road to Basin Campground (which is also gated).

Possibly the road was closed temporarily for a snowstorm but reopened when the snow melted? I can't find a closure on the ME DOT 511 site http://www.511maine.gov/

I hiked Caribou Mountain loop on Saturday from Bog Road. Ran into a group of people who hiked from the Evans Notch side. They came up from the south and said the road was open. When I got to the 113 trailhead, there were cars coming from the north.

I take that as the road was open in both directions. Again this was Saturday 11/16.

Bummer. I need Hale for my second round and that certainly increases the mileage. Any suggestions (besides pack a lunch).

Z :D

Ski to Zealand Hut, snowshoe to Hale via Lend-a-Hand, sled down Hale Brook, and ski back out. Just make sure you have a way to secure the skis so they don't drag.

"Bummer. I need Hale for my second round and that certainly increases the mileage. Any suggestions (besides pack a lunch)."
Go in via North Twin and take the Fire Wardens "trail"

Do Hale via the fire wardens route, its far more pleasant walk than Zealand road and nice on sunny day as the its sheltered but does get some sun. The only caveat is some recent postings calling into question the parking on the Seven Dwarfs road. Worse case is park at Seven Dwarf and pay a few bucks.

Last edited: