Real Men Don’t Wear Skirts! Or Do They??????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rain Skirt

I introduced a buddy to one of the many uses of a trash bag, that is a rain skirt. Lighter than rain pants...and a whole heckuva lot more fashionable.

I wear a Sport Kilt, black Stewart tartan, all year until the temps get below 20 degrees. Below that and things get a bit frosty. As to what I wear underneath, it all depends where I'm hiking. I was glad to have skivies on in Mahoosuc Notch when a woman poked her head out from under the rock I was standing on, getting a different type of view.
I've also never been bitten "there" by any critter, but do get nibbled on occasionally from the knee down. It's hard to explain, but wearing the kilt is warm and cool at the same time. Great airflow, making it cool, but warm at the same time. Very comfortable, and unlike pants legs, when stepping up onto high boulders or ledge, there are no pants legs to kinda bind up on you, so you don't have to constantly hike them up.
You can see pics of me in the kilt at whiteblaze. Look under Mr. Clean's photos. I'll never give it up and in all my years of wearing it I have only had three semi-derogatory comments from obviously newbi hikers. Everyone outta try em, just once.

oh no...

what have i started? yes, i am the individual in question. i haven't had the chance to read all of the posts yet, it has just been brought to my attention - thanks Cath. all i have to say for now is that chicks dig it.

Nicole and Casey, i doubt you're reading this, but if you are, thanks for a wonderful evening.

i'll read through the posts in the morning, if i make it to the puter.

Cheers,

rd.

J&J, i'm real glad you didn't have a camera. that would have been the end of me... :) by the way, i'm not as hard core as Cath.

Neil said:
If going commando in kilt and during black fly season better bring DEET.

Careful there! I understand getting DEET on your D%^$ is Dangerous and Downright Dasterdly. Makes one say , Damn and Darn and DOH! alot, So, Don't Do it! :eek:

daxs said:
I was at a strong man contest where one of the contestants was wearing a kilt. All of the women agreed, he was the sexiest man there.....

The babes may think you're sexy, that's cool.

I would be more worried about the guys, you know how cruel kids, uh,. I mean guys can be sometimes.

On a backpack once, it started to rain. Everyone donned their favorite rain jacket and one of my fellow backpackers pulled out one of those lightweight umbrellas.

Instantly, he was transformed into Mary Poppins. There was no let up from the guys in the group for the remainder of the trip.

It became his trail name. :eek:
Yes. Mary Poppins!
To this day he is still applying mascara daily!
So I've Heard.
Zer0-G

I was walking in the Daks this past weekend. Very muddy trails. I have no problem with that.
But, just thinking about it. I had a few spills. Slipped down once. Landed right on my butt.

In a Kilt?

Well, that would have been real Nice. Yup. I think I'll buy one.

Mountain Hardwear, at one time produced a Men's Hiking Kilt.

Well, I bought it.

I wear it around the house when I'm vacuuming.

It makes me feel pretty. :eek:

Seriously, I haven't worn it out.
But after reading all of these posts, I'm getting inspired.
I'm going to wear it in the Daks next weekend.

Woo Hoo. My Boys will be Free At Last!
:D

Last edited:
Kilts are comfy

As a musician in a Scottish music group, I have worn a kilt dozens of times over the past 15 years, and it is a comfortable garment. I can imagine hiking in one, although not the $350 one I currently own. I may have to get one of those Sport Kilts. I think the leg freedom would be what would attract me the most. That, and the interest of the ladies.... :)

Without a doubt, a guy in a kilt is just about the sexiest thing alive. Trust me on this one!

That said, a guy in a dress is very weird _ but the Head video is priceless as usual. I feel bad for whomever was in the light blue dress though ... her, um, equipment up top was a bit of kilter! :eek:

just my $0.02

ok, i'm finally back at the puter for a minute, so i'll give my reasons for wearing a "kilt":

* its comfortable
* the fabric dries fast (ok, nothing specific to the kilt) - and i think the looseness of the fabric is conducive to faster drying (with some wind)
* if i'm getting warm, i can hike it up (without exposure) and cool down some
* wider range of motion / easier high-stepping
* keeps people guessing

combining that with my boyish good looks and charming personality, its a recipie for success (at what, i don't know).

the only con i've experienced is that there's limited storage space - but then again, how much stuff do you really want to carry in a "kilt"? what i carry on my hikes is: watch, car key & a few GUs. the rest goes in whatever pack i elected to carry.

having worn mine for years, i have yet to see another individual on the trail with a "kilt" - however, i have to say that the odd looks and comments have certainly decreased... having said that, if you're interested / curious about wearing one - "just do it!"; once i did, i've never looked back.

speaking of which, i really should hit the trail before the forecasted T-storms show up.

Namasté,

rd

As for the pockets problem, the Scots wore a small leather pouch called a sporran, which hangs in the front. Rather than use one of my good ones for hiking, I simply wear a very small fanny pack, but it's on the front. Great for maps, snacks, camera, etc. I've seen forest green and camo sporrans, but have never gotten one since the fanny pack works so well. I also wear the fanny pack with my backpack.

Hi, I'm new here. It looks like no recent posts, so I would like to start the discussion about men hiking in skirts or kilts. Call them anything you like but they fall under the same definition as a garment worn with no pant legs. There are purists who say a kilt has to have pleats, etc. I also believe there are "masculine" skirts. They provide unlimited stride, ventilation, comfort, and freedom. I am a nature and wildlife photographer and am in national and state parks, nature preserves, and in wilderness areas once a week or more, almost year around always wear a skirt in the field. It helps that I live in the desert. I am in the mountains during the summer. Skirts are also very comfortable for driving. No more pressure from the inseam. My wife also wears a hiking skirt and has several. North Face, Purple Rain, Columbia, Patagonia, and others I can't remember. I have been wearing a skirt for hiking for about eight years. Some of my skirts are denim, which are "stealth" where there are more people. In all the time that I have worn skirts, no one has ever noticed, stared, or remarked. I wear them on trails in national parks, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc. I am a 100% U.S. Male and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors in skirts. I have placed an order for a wrap around skirt which I can put on and take off over hiking boots. I have tried with and without underwear. I prefer with as walking for miles without can be "abrasive." My wife likes the way I look with a skirt. I have them shortened to above my knees and they resemble shorts as much as possible. I like simple designed skirts without flair in khaki, denim, gray, and different camouflage patterns. I like elastic waist bands, although I like belt loops and an elastic belt. I am mostly alone with my photography which is a necessity for capturing wildlife photos. To me, it is a different dimension to hiking.