Real Men Don’t Wear Skirts! Or Do They??????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
My wife and I have seen many women over the years hiking in skirts. She always wondered what it would be like to hike in one. Well she just recently bought a Mountain Hardwear hiking skirt, tried it, and raves about it. During our hike yesterday up Lincoln and Lafayette, I kept telling her I should buy one and try it if they are that great. After all I’ve seen Hut Croo men and the very occasional male hiker (including a few AT thru hikers) wearing them before, why shouldn’t I.

Up on Franconia Ridge as we were having a men wearing skirts discussion, I look behind me and by sheer coincidence see a guy coming down the trail wearing a kilt. Specifically a Mountain Kilt by Mountain Hardwear marketed to men as a kilt rather than a skirt of course. What guy would wear a skirt after all? But a kilt is a way different story. By the way, the type of kilts I’m talking about are just khaki in color, not the plaid kilts related to the Scots and they also don’t have all the pleats that Scottish kilts have.

We chatted with T. for a while and we discussed his garb. He’s been wearing a kilt for a couple of years now and really likes them. And this guy is pretty hardcore. When we bumped into him atop Franconia Ridge, he was on his second -Falling Waters>Franconia Ridge>Old Bridal Path- loop of the day. He took a 10 minute break after his first loop and promptly headed up for his second loop. So we’re talking about 18 miles and almost 8,000’ elevation gain and here he was flying down the trail in his kilt.

So that got me to thinking. How many of you guys out there wear a kilt? What do you women think about a guy wearing a kilt? What do you guys think about a guy wearing a kilt? Are kilts better than shorts? Have you ever tried hiking in a kilt? What are the advantages of a kilt? What should one wear under a kilt? Boxers, briefs or just go commando?????

Who knows, the next time you see me on the trail, I may be wearing a kilt. And please, don’t be shy; feel free to ask me what I’m wearing under my kilt! :D

J&J said:
Who knows, the next time you see me on the trail, I may be wearing a kilt. And please, don’t be shy; feel free to ask me what I’m wearing under my kilt! :D
Ask these kids:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/kilt.jpg

Although I wouldn't wear a kilt, panty hose is something else.... winter, not summer.... I'm not weird.

J&J said:
What should one wear under a kilt? Boxers, briefs or just go commando?????

...Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left the bar one evening fair. And one could tell by how he walked he drunk more than his share. He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet and he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street... (come on, sing if you know the words!) :D

I saw a guy hiking in a kilt last summer, full blown wool plaid, seemed hot. If going commando you might want to check the forecast for high winds! :eek: :D

I bet they're comfortable, but I don't think I could bring myself to wearing one, which perhaps is ironic because I have no qualms with wearing skimpy running shorts.

Pete, that's a hilarious picture!

:D :D :D

On the manliness scale, the kilt is definitely ahead of the speedo.(I apologize ahead of time for offending any Canadians) But why stop there? Wear a kilt and a puffy pirate shirt like the one that was in the Seinfeld episode. That would kick some difinite booty!

I bought a nice Mountain Hardware skort earlier this spring for this hiking season ..... looked great until I put it on :eek: Let's just say it was a little too preppy/fussy for me ..... I do plan on hiking in my blue ripstop skirt by LL Bean though ..... I paid 3 bucks for it this winter and can dress it up, dress it down, or hike, so I'd say it's the best $3 I ever spent. I've hiked in skirts before and the ventilation is superior to anything else. It doesn't surprise me that the guys would figure this out sooner or later ;) . Shorts, skort, skirt, kilt ..... what's the difference besides an extra or missing piece of material or two??? :D

Those hiking kilts are very popular with guys on the AT. Even a 10 year old boy that hiked last year wore one the whole way! No shame there, they loved them! I say, if it's comfortable..........go for it! Just remember to sit "properly" when around the campfire!! ;)

$50? A little steep for me, and probably not something that enhance my overall apperance :eek:
I'm also thinking easy access for mosquitos and other insects. :eek: :eek:
I'll stick with my convertible pants and hiking shorts.

MH Hiking Kilt

sleeping bear said:
I saw a guy hiking in a kilt last summer, full blown wool plaid, seemed hot. :D

Was that the kilted through-hiker my group followed from Greenleaf to Galehead Huts over Labor Day weekend? Tall young guy with a black beard - very amiable and acted creditably in the Croo skits, including a drag role (no surprise). Drawing a blank on his name but may have it in trip notes somewhere - he was chattier than the typical through-hiker

onestep said:
I've often thought that a rain skirt might be worthwhile... not sure about a Kilt though :D

Onestep

Heck yeah! That's what I'm talkin about! I made a nylon one after experimenting with garbage bags. I was REALLY hoping to get to try it out this weekend, but it never rained. Stupid sun.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for plaid coated nylon, then I can make "rain kilts". Seriously though, I'm convinced it's the way to go when wearing shorts. At least, when it's cool enough that you'd prefer not to get wet (like it's been for the last month! :eek: )

Amicus- I don't think it was the same guy, he was hiking N to S on the Mahoosuc range mid July. Perhaps there are a fair number of guys out there in kilts.

Last edited:
i think amicus might be remembering "moonshine". i could be wrong. an old amc hut crew member.
i always thought a skirt could be nice to hike in. i did hear one great story from a group of thru hikers who hit the presidential range in a bad storm last august. one kilted members had his kilt literally blown off. he managed to catch it as it blew away, but did so in his birthday suit. at that point the wind was not allowing him to put it back on very easily. the other thru hikers behind him had a good laugh and certainly got to know a few extra things about him. so beware of rapid skirt removal. you will leave your friends with no secrets.

bryan

sleeping bear said:
If going commando you might want to check the forecast for high winds! :eek: :D
If going commando in kilt and during black fly season better bring DEET.

Kilt FAQ

Q: What is worn under your kilt?
A: Nothing is worn, it's all in pretty good condition.

Q: What are you wearing under your kilt?
A: For a dollar I'll tell you, for five dollars I'll show you, for ten dollars you can find out for yourself.

Q: Do you play the bagpipes?
A: Only to annoy the neighbors.

Q: Where do you keep your bagpipes?
A: Under my kilt.

Q: Why do they call it a kilt?
A: Cause that's what happened to the last guy that called it a skirt.

Q: Are you Gay?
A: No, only happy to be so well ventilated.

:D

Neil said:
If going commando in kilt and during black fly season better bring DEET.

Be very careful where you spray deet. While taking a much needed "break" on a hike into King Ravine, I was swarmed by mosquitos and didn't want lots of bites where I didn't want to scratch. Made a quick pass of bug spray across the rear of my stance and was happy that the bugs left. 2 hours later at our camp site, my son was laughing very loud at my extreme discomfort. Moral of the story, don't spray deet near sensitive areas, it REALLY burns! :eek:

Last edited:
Of course, you'all know why we've tended toward men wearing pants, and women wearing skirts/dresses, right?

The appropriate dress makes it easier to pee in the woods. Now, that we've moved to indoor plumbing, and bathrooms with doors on them, clothing styles can change.

A few years ago I recall an article in the Plattsburgh Press Republican about Peter Fish climbing Marcy for his 400th or 500th time. There was a photo of him standing on the summit in a kilt. Well, if Mr. Fish can do it, it must be OK.