Camping @ Rocky Branch Shelter #2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
Anyone have information/suggestions re:camping at the Rocky Branch Shelter # 2 ? are there areas to tent? How about camping as you are heading north on the Isolation Trail along the Rocky Branch River towards North junction with Davis Path?

Re-thinking all of my contingency plans for backpacking this week since the rain in Bethlehem NH continues to be very wet and persistent- is it raining everwhere else?

Thanks
Marty

There are several designated Wilderness Area campsites along the Isolation Path up near the ridge. You could also pitch a tent near the shelter, there is room.

-dave-

There are designated (I believe) campsites on the E side of the river at the top of the stairs before the river crossing to the shelter. There were also sites before one of the stream crossings, but I can't remember which. The sign I'm thinking of was on the left as you go up. There are definitely sites at the Davis Path trail junction, the water really is about 10 mins. back. That looked like a run-off stream, but we were able to get water there (last August, after a T-storm).

Good luck with the weather!

I was at the Rocky Branch shelter closest to Jericho Rd. yesterday (#1?) and noticed some legally designated tentsites. There are also a couple legal sites on top of Stairs mountain. However, if you decide to camp there for the night there is no water anywhere in the area.

Thanks for the repsonses everyone-heading off on Thursday from Lincoln Woods thru the Pemi to Crawford Notch and then over to Isolation- chant for good weather-will post a trip report-

Happy 4th everyone- the fireworks at the Mount Washington were great last night!!!!
Trip tip- viewing the fireworks from Lakes (or any hight spot looking down into the Notch) is an amazing experience- not very often one gets to look down at the fireworks!!! Only works if the weather cooperates.

Dave,

I'm headed to Isolation next month, can I trouble you for notes about where you saw designated Wilderness Area campsite along Isolation Trail?

Thanks,

Ray (flaxin)

I believe they have moved over the years. I last hiked in 2 years ago and vaguely remember them heading up from the shelter towards the ridge. They're easy enough to spot while hiking. I know there's one a short way below the junction with the Davis Path, no idea where the others were.

I believe they have moved over the years. I last hiked in 2 years ago and vaguely remember them heading up from the shelter towards the ridge. They're easy enough to spot while hiking. I know there's one a short way below the junction with the Davis Path, no idea where the others were.
That one was still there, and fairly easy to locate, as of October. Just remember to load up on your water on the way up.

Just to update on the designated sites on the way to Isolation from 16.

There is one on the Rocky Branch trail just before the first crossing of the Rocky Branch. There's a small tributary of the Rocky Branch nearby, which would probably make for good water.

There is a CLOSED area just before the third crossing of the Rocky Branch, i.e., second crossing on the Isolation trail. I'm not sure if this used to be a site but the FS has marked it as revegetation, stay off. I only mention it because if you continue, there's an open site between the third and fourth crossing. It's maybe 400' back in to get to the site and water's easy from the Rocky Branch. Spent two nights there and didn't regret it.

Then there is the site high up on the Isolation trail, well past the fifth crossing, a small distance below the Davis Path junction. I suspect there's no water nearby.

There is water available in the seeps a few hundred feet below the site highest up the trail near the Davis Path.