Recent Mountain Lion Sightings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I wonder if Lynkx typically have hair marks in their tracks. I think they are around here. Krips the lion is huge, better get a bigger gun! Chris

Re: WHO CAN GUESS THE YEAR OF THIS CAR?

Remix said:
Hint: Check out the rock
Just noticed this. That's the "cat" on Cat Hill on the East Drive of Central Park at about 76th Street in New York City. One of the best placed pieces of statuary in the park and perhaps second only to Balto as a favorite of children of all ages.

I guesss it's a Catamount siting of sorts, but how does that help us ID the car's year? That cat's been there forever.

Pb

The scary thing about this latest attack was the awesome strength of these cats. This was an adolescent 110# cat that killed one and then dragged a woman in its jaws, and another hanging on playing tug-a-war for 100 yards down a hill. That's frightening. Imagine what a full sized one like in that photo posted could do. Stay in a group!!!

Great statue, too. The park has some cool ones.

Really nice pics, Barry Sr.!!

Last edited:
Oops Im sorry if you were expecting me to know the year of the car...it was a little indirection a friend pulled to surprise the heck out of me when we pointed out the statue.

Yes its Central Park! And the lion is rock or cement, (Im not sure).

O my, I hope this wont end up on snopes.com.

Last edited:
Well......

As long as we are on the subject of Lynx. This is my sighting - And I'll never forget it as long as I live.

It was May, 1982. I was in Carlton, NY working. Carlton is only a few miles south of Lake Ontario on Route 98 in Western NY.

I had picked up lunch earlier and stopped at the Carlton Firehall to eat. I had to be there after lunch, so it made a nice quiet place to eat. (Note this is a firehall, not a fire station).

There is an old farmer's path around the back that leads into some fields - My truck was parked at the head of it. After eating I decided to walk for 5 minutes and explore. I was about to open my door when I looked out the windshield and saw this huge, huge cat walking up the path towards me.

I froze in the truck and just looked at it - It suddenly stopped about 25-30 yards from me and looked right at me- This thing's head was higher than my knee - Almost to mid-thigh. It perked it's ears up and froze solid. I can still remember looking at the long black tufts coming off it's ears - It was very skinny and tan colored - I had no idea the heck it was.

I slowly opened the door and got out it followed me with it's head. I was pretty young and foolish back then, so I took a step towards it and it didn't move - I started to get shivers up my spine - I took another step and yelled "Hey"
It just sat there. I then threw my hands in the air and roared at it. It leaped into the high weeds and was gone.

I was extremely agitated afterward and remember feeling shivers up and down my back for a few minutes. I had no idea what it was and mentioned it to a few local folks - I heard all kinds of things from a big house cat to a mountain lion.

I later called the DEC (I was pretty worked up) and they were nonchalent said it was probably nothing more than a lynx. A year or so I later an article about a project tat was in place to restore them in the Adirondacks, but most of them had left the region and a few had followed the shore, roaming along Lake Ontario.

I later went to a library and looked up lynx's and mountain lions and figured it to be a big lynx. A face to face encounter with one of those things will get your haeart pumping.

This is similar to what I saw:
http://www.r6.fws.gov/endspp/lynx/

Rick, you probably did see a Lynx. I have two possible sightings that were either Lynx or Bobcat.
About 10 years ago in the Adirondacks near the Ausable River I was fishing, and remember looking across the stream and seeing just through the brush a large cat, and it was gone about a second later. I am not sure what it was, but it was kind of big for a bobcat.
My other sighting I have more confidence in. About 10 years ago in the Northern Catskills near Huntersfield Mtn, I was just relaxing and fishing a beaver dam which is pretty close to South Moutain road, which is a very quiet road. It was July, and it was cloudy with dense fog, in the low 60's and early afternoon. As I was sitting there, I thought that there was something on the other side of the pond, but I looked and there was nothing. A few minutes later I looked up again, and staring back at me was a magnificent large grey cat, and was gone almost instantly. He came and went without a sound. Later on I checked the tracks, and they were quite large.

The point is that these cats are as elusive as ghost. They could here you coming quite a ways off, I read in a magazine that cats can here 26 times better than humans, which is why you must sit as silent as possible if you ever want to see one, not walking through the woods. It seems like the best time to look for them is foggy, cool, summer days near water since both possible sightings of mine were in that setting. I have no Mountain Lion sightings, and it seems like only the locals have seen them.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick and Mink for the recall. It may well be some of what Iv been seeing, past 300 yards, as big bob cats are, in fact, Lynx.
I have come to the conclusion that cats like other beasts (the BBC had a fantastic insite with fox) have assimilated our patterns and have the genius to be right here in front of us. I see more from a truck, just getting from point a to point b than all my 'hopefully' quiet hours laying low in the woods. Those who think them selves superior to 'mother nature' beware! Thanks again Chris

Chris I definitely agree with you that they have learned to live with us around and still not cross paths. They know when to come out and where to hide and where to go to hunt and for shelter, and avoid us.
-Mike

I just heard from a friend that south of Rochester a farmer was complaining about a Cougar killing his sheep. He complained to the DEC, and they said there are no Cougars here. So to prove them wrong the guy shot it. After he shot it he noticed that on its ear it had a small tag that said NYS DEC. It was tagged by the DEC. He called them up and told them, and they wanted to fine him and wouldnt say anything about the tag.
If this is true, which I think believe it is because I heard it from a reliable source, it proves that the DEC either released Cougars or has tagged ones that returned.

In some of my experience with the powers that be, it was clear on hand often did not know what the other was doing. The DEC is not well liked from what I can tell. I wonder if this farmer kept evidence.
I hope there is a weapon handy if any critter comes after 'me or mine'.
As for now, am keeping eyes open. There is not much moving around. Iv only seen one rabbit all winter, a few halks, the odd bird and the same squerl. The deer are back eating closer to houses. Chris

Chris, it does seem quiet this winter up there. I think its because of the harsh winter last year. Even down where I am its still quiet. I guess that means the big cats will be moving around more in search of food since there is less game than previous years.

Mountainhound said:
momma bear he shot it to protect his sheep more than anything i'm sure. and thats a pretty good reason.

Mountainhood,

OK. When I re-read the post again, I can see it that way. Thanks for the clarification.

where's the evidence?

Sorry, but I have to ask. Believe what you may but without evidence what we're discussing is an imaginary farmer shooting an imaginary cougar with an imaginary DEC tag on its ear to protect imaginary sheep. I would think an incident like this would have generated at least one newspaper report, hello?

Frankly I think there's more evidence for alien abductions. Not that I believe in those either but they are fun to read about. By the way, here's a link to the DEC which also provides a link to a cougar sighting report form. Maybe one of us with time to pursue this matter might want to contact the DEC and ask if it's possible to examine the reports.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg8/wild/cougar.html

Last edited: