Recent Mountain Lion Sightings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mink319

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any recent Mountain Lion sightings, or if they have heard of any. For some reason the sightings tend to decrease this time of the year, I know that its been a few months since the last sighting in the Catskills that I have heard about. I was wondering if there have been anymore lately in the Catskills, and anywhere else in the northeast. I just wish I would see one.

They are around

I have not seen one, but trust two long tail sightings in East Berne (now a year old) and an old one,in in the Pharow Lake wilderness. I have seen tracks, I think, too big for a Bob cat or Llinx here and in Indian Pass. I hope I have a big camera if one showes up! Good Luck Chris

I haven't seen any catamounts, but I did see some Bobcat tracks and a grouse kill sight, coming down the Slide Mountain Brook Trail off of Big Slide up in the Adirondacks this past Saturday. I would love to see one, but they are such a stealthy animal, that sightings are rare in the ADK's.

Unsubstantiated Reports....

Unsubstantiated - Any ole Joe that reports that they saw one.
-mavs00

Sometimes you have to believe those ole Joe's if they are locals to the area. Those are not the people carrying cameras, testing DNA, they are the people who know the mountains the best. If they are reliable, I trust them as much as the DEC reports. But if this any ole Joe is some guy who almost never goes to the mountains and does not even know what a fisher or mink looks like than I dont trust them. I think the reason that there are no confirmed reports in NY is because the DEC is trying to cover it up, because they might scare people or some people would poach them. For a confirmed report, we should make sure we have camera with us at all times on those long, remote bushwacks through the Catskills, Adirondacks, Berkshires, Greenes, Taconics, Whites, and all of Maine, because they are there.

So far I have heard of 5 sightings in the Catskills, 2 in the Adirondacks, and 2 in the Taconics. These are from friends who know people who have seen them, most of which are somewhat reliable and know the mountains well.

Good luck out there to all those trying to see one.

Last edited:
I saw one in 1992 in the hills above Northville NY (southern adks). I'd estimate between 175-200 lbs. I saw tracks in Yosemite in Sept. near where my friend and I camped by an un-named lake, miles from the nearest soul.

They are seen on Blue Ridge Road quite often... I'll look for one tomorrow as I head into the Santanonis.

Documentation

I agree with you Mavs00 that they are reluctant to document a sighting by people like us because they are afraid some people might lie about it, or those who lack knowledge on the subject might mistake a fisher or marten for a mountain lion.
If you think about, who knows more about the mountains from experience, us, and the locals, not the DEC.
Check out this link to a cougar sighting form on the DEC website.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg8/wild/images/cougar_frm.pdf

I guess they just want to see what areas have the most cougar sightings, because if there is an area with an abundance of them, they might go investigate and gain a documented sighting. So if you are lucky enough to see one, fill out this form, and try and get some pics.
Of course if I see one it will be when I dont have my camera with me, which is always the case with bears and bobcats.

Good luck in the mountains, and find a mountain lion.

The DEC, like any government agency does not want to put fear in the passengers. They are slow to admit things and do not have my cofidence. What irks me is how, they, at times have berated individuals making reports asserting it's their imagination. Retorical device or condensending nature? They, however, are an organization stretched too thin to do the work at hand.
I, for one, sooner trust an old timer or friend. Chris

Last edited:
I had an interesting experience last October while hiking on Cumberland Island in GA.
I was speaking to a ranger and he informed me that he had seen a "mountain lion" the previous evening. I was pretty excited when he first told me but as we contiued our discussion it turns out it was probably a bobcat. The animal was about 35-40 lbs and had the short tail.
I think people often label any non-domestic cats as "mountain lions."
I thought for sure a ranger would have known the difference.

maddy it's funny you mention that becuase the mountain lion i saw at fist i thought it was a bobcat cuase it had a short tail but it was to big and the way it moved wasn't like a bobcat it moved just like a lion over the next couple days i keeped saying to myself that moved like a lion not a bobcat and i've seen many bobcats i hunt them with my hounds. then when i was at the vets getting one of my hounds its shots i was talking to the doc and he mentioned that one of his farmer clinents had seen one (lion) out back of his chicken coop laying on a stone wall several times. that is also the farmer that wound up shooting it for getting after his livestock. so it just goes to show you that they dont nessisarally have to have a long tail most likely lost it from frost or some other way.

Point well taken. I do think that in this case the cat was a bobcat.
It is possible that he lost his tail somewhere but his estimated weight being 35-40 lbs and, the description of his ears and his tail did not match that of a mountain lion. After our discussion the ranger did agree that is was a bobcat.
Thanks for posting the cougar site. It's great.

Frost bit tails, what a concept!
I hurt when seeing winter worn possium.
There is a house cat in these parts (by Vermone's Nose) who went tailless over an encounter with a car.

Bob cats get to that 35 pound mark with out much trouble around here.

Tracks today near Katterskill falls (on blue trail) probably a big pine martin, but I'm thinking 'fisher' which I have never seen. Chris

Other exotic animals.

A friend of mine in the Shawagunks has a cat which lost its tail in a fight with a raccoon.

Wamp, since you live in the Helderbergs I will tell you a place thats good for hiking. Its above the Schoharie Valley, and known as Summit. The DEC owns about 30,000 acres in the area, and the long path runs through this area. The best part is near Looking Glass Pond. About the tracks, if they were quite big they were probably Fisher because Fishers are slightly larger then Martens.

Another fun spot with some decent ascents is Huntersfield Mountain near the Schoharie Reservoir. The long path also runs through there.

Now, back to the subject. What about Lynx in the northeast? I think the Catskills, Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, and Maine have them. If you have any Lynx, Cougar, who knows, even Wolf sightings, keep us posted and have fun and get some pictures.

Thanks, The Scoharie Valley is beautiful.
I like watching the farmers progress over the seasons from Vroman's Nose. (also on the Long Path)
Big bob cats can be seen in Thatcher park, try the park border on the Beaver Dam Road near the abandoned house.
The thing that had me on the, may be, fisher tracks was the gate, big stride and not running.
I have heard of timber wolf here and down in Duansburg.
I thought I saw one about 5 years ago, only an old timer or two thought it was plausable. Most thought it was a big Coyot, but I am used to seeing them. I don't see why not wolves, every thing they need is here.
The long tail cat siteings, in my opinion, are very credible, never mind the DEC. Thanks again Chris

Food for thought . . .

I have seen a theory advanced elsewhere that state wildlife agencies may be reluctant to acknowledge animals like cougars residing in their bailiwicks because then the agencies will be obligated to officially monitor and manage them.

My passing this on is not to be construed as endorsement or acceptance of the proposition. It just seems like food for thought.

G.

Protect Moose....

I agree with grumpy that the DEC is reluctant to acknowledge the presence of cougars because then they would have to protect them like Moose. They cant cover up Moose because they are not quite as elusive, they are much bigger, and cant really be mistaken for anything else, not even deer.

Now, about the wolves, four years ago I thought I saw something way too big to be a coyote in the Blackhead Range, and some people I know who have been going there or living there for years said its not impossible that a few stray wolves have made there home in the Catskills and hide in the remotest and thickest parts of the park.

About 10 years ago there were a few Lynx sightings by the locals near Huntersfield Mountain, and one of my cousins thought she saw one because she said it was like a huge bobcat with massive feet. Just a few years back a friend of mine sais he saw a cougar while hunting in the Catskills. Not too long ago saw massive cat tracks too large to be bobcat near the Devils Path, which is good territory for Lynx or Cougar.

Wamp, where is Duansburg, I have never heard of it, and couldnt find it on Mapquest. There is a possibility the tracks could have been Wolf, but wolf tracks are not as wide as Fisher of Marten tracks. I looked in a book I have with mammal tracks, and chances are it was a Fisher, but it could have been a Marten, both have nearly identical tracks. Marten tracks are about 2 inches long, while Fisher tracks are about 3 inches wide.
The link below is to a website with mammal track info.

http://enature.com/localguide/localguide_tracks_display.asp?rgn=NY_M211b&curGroupID=5&filter=13

I saw a mountain lion a few years ago while hiking in Arizona. We had climbed an old volcano and were walking the rim while throwing a stick for my dog to fetch when we spooked the large cat in the crater. It ran (very fast) to the opposite rim and disappeared into the woods. The dog never saw it. I have seen bobcats and can't see how one would be mistaken for the other unless it was a very small, young, mountain lion. This cat made my dog (about 100lbs at the time) look small!

Lynx

There was what I consider to be a reliable sigting by an "any ole Joe" in Wonalancet a couple/few years ago. This guy knows the difference between bobcat, fisher and housecat so I believe him when he says he saw a lynx.

Interesting aside: The WMNF is mandated to protect lynx habitat and any possible local populations. The Saco District Ranger is "miffed" with WODC for plowing the Ferncroft parking lot because it might jeopardize lynx habitat. None of the locals view the Ferncroft parking lot as prime habitat and, consequently, the Forest Service is the butt of numerous jokes. Although it was never officially stated, I assume the ranger's reasoning is that the compacted snow along trails, caused by a full parking lot's worth of hikers, will hinder the Lynx's hunting advantage -- either by giving its prey a sure-footed route of escape or by allowing competition (coyotes) easier access. Anyone here willing to forego winter hiking for the sake of the lynx?