Bear encountered on Cannon Mountain, what is the right thing to do?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek said:
By the way, NH bear season opened September 1.
What not to wear.

Seriously, I understand there are "Visual Pollution" aspects of LNT re. bright colors, but hunting season is NOT the time to be out there in muted earth tones, blacks, even blues and whites. I'd rather err on the side of "Visual Pollution" with some fluorescent yellows and oranges.

I was talking about the one time I didn't many years ago.. And drewski by the way, what does that mean..? -Mattl

Paradox said:
7summits: one other valuable piece of advice I need to tell you to enhance the appearance of bravery: wear Depends. :D

I could have used those! I was just about filling my pants when the bear charged the second time...

Yah, it's just a black bear, but I'm not to proud to admit that it was hard to stand my ground to a charging bear. :eek:

- darren

Interesting thread, but as posted earlier, bears seem plentiful on Cannon. I have watched them stroll the slopes many times while driving up at sunset to hike some remote mountain. Have some good pix taken from the Rte 93 shoulder but I'm darned if I can find them.
Keep that ziploc of bacon outta yer pack and you'll be fine.
Damon

Must be the bacon it was after :). I cannot imagine myself trying to fend off a bear. It's not very easy for a 5'2" to make myself appear any bigger, there is a disadvantage here :(

All right one more laught at myself, here is movie clip from the hiking joke thread which I think is very funny: http://vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=151229&postcount=16

Just need to practice the killer kick.

Seriously, I'll remember all your advices here and make them my reflex (when encounter a bear :).

Thanks!