Book Recommendations for John Muir

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have a personal recommendations for any book(s) authored by John Muir?

I have never read anything about him or his work and I figure it's about time. Plus, I'm hoping to spend some time in the Sierras either this year or next.

Any personal favorites?

Thanks!

roadtripper said:
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have a personal recommendations for any book(s) authored by John Muir?

I have never read anything about him or his work and I figure it's about time. Plus, I'm hoping to spend some time in the Sierras either this year or next.

Any personal favorites?

Thanks!
My First Summer in the Sierra is just wonderful. It's about a summer where he took a job taking care of a flock of sheep when he was just 31 (in 1869). It was written early (in his writing career) but it's descriptions of the mountains and scenary is just so over the top sometimes you just laugh.

Mountaineering Essays, John Muir

I picked up Mountaineering Essays by John Muir a few years back. It is a collecction of essays and and a nice introduction, I think, to some of his writings.

Mountaineering Essays (Literature of the American Wilderness Series)
by John Muir, Richard Fleck (Editor), Richard F. Fleck (Editor), ISBN: 0874805449

Another option would be "The Wilderness World of John Muir," edited by Edwin Way Teale. It is a collection of stories from many of Muir's works, so it will give you a taste of everything.

Based upon what I enjoyed in Teale's book, I checked out Muir's "The Mountains of California" from the library and really enjoyed it. I've also read "The Yosemite" but I liked the Mountains book more.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I picked up "John Muir: Nature Writings", which contains a couple of your suggestions (story of my boyhood, my first summer in the sierra, mountains of california, etc.). I'll start with these.

Thanks!

Last edited: