Hand & Foot Warmers Expiration Date

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all -
I carry both the Grabber Hand and Foot Warmers in my pack, as emergency gear. Thankfully, I don't use them too much, so I was wondering if they expire. I noticed at the bottom that they have a "Validity Date", which I couldn't read, even with a magnifying glass.

I sent an email to Grabber Performance, who makes the Warmers products. They promptly replied, indicating that the expiration date is in 4 years from manufacture and the "Validity Date" (if you can read it) is the same thing as the Expiration Date.

Just figured I would pass that along.

Regards,
Marty

lots of duds

I wouldn't bother carrying the weight if they aren't pretty close to new. The only ones i've had that have worked have been less than a year old.

Regardless of their expiration date, I always get new ones at the beginning of each season. They're cheap insurance.

I have had to use them for years now.( I have Raynaud's.) I have some that were at least two years outdated, used them locally with no problem. Hiking in the mountains, I would make certain that they were not outdated and I carry spares.
I have had some feel like fine gravel in their packages (new and old). Those are a lost cause.
Sometimes I use only one and shift it from one mitten to another as needed.
I have to wear mittens and I cannot even do even the simplest task outside, like feed birds or vacuum my truck without my hands freezing up.
I keep them in all my jacket pockets. Also I protect them in my pack so they don't chill out. Some experienced people told me that if they freeze up and then thaw out while still in their packages, they can be rendered useless.
The have some large ones called pocket warmers. I have used them right up on my chest in the bitter cold. Very toasty feeling.
They would be very useful if you were getting hypothermic.

Honestly, I have found no correlation between the packs working and the expiration date. I have some that are quite old and heat up nicely and others that are just duds. They also seem to warm up more slowly in really cold weather, like last weekend.

stating the obvious.....they expire based upon the integrity of the packaging. Any air exposure and they are shot, so lots of transport and shaking can shorten the packaged life span. I too have found that if you feel the package and the material is gravelly or hard, it is likely shot. Loose and powdery, likely usable.

keb said:
feel the package and the material is gravelly or hard, it is likely shot. Loose and powdery, likely usable.

I completely agree. Just a few days ago, the only warmers I could find were rock solid, and after breaking up the lump, it provided minimal warmth.

Though I always carry some I have never used them. So I checked my pack. Maybe that's why they have "Validity Date" = "Sep 2002", "June 2003".. :eek:

Thank you. I guess I due for some replacements.

Handwarmers

This thread got me thinking about these things. I started carrying them a few years ago for emergency only, but never even tried them. This Sat. I opened a pkg. at the Hancocks T.H. (dated June '08), and was very impressed. These things definetely put out some heat. Now part of my winter SOP.