Stabilicer Quality Concerns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevinmac said:
I hiked Cardigan a few weeks ago with new snow and ice on the trail. The stabilicers worked well on the trail going up. On the way down traction became worse. The next day I noticed that almost all of the screws came out. I recently contacted the manufacturer in Maine. This is their response:

"We at Stabilicers have run into a bit of a snag with the quality of our metal cleats that we use in our original Stabilicers. We have experienced a problem with the cleats coming out too easily under heavy use. If anyone has any problems with their cleats coming out on the first or second time of use please call 1-800-782-2423 and we will mail you out a fresh new pack of 50 cleats to replace the cleats in your product. The problem we found is the shank on the cleats is a bit too short and there are not enough threads on them as well.

We have identified the inventory that has the problem cleats in them and have corrected the problem on any shipments as of 11/26/2007.

We apologize for any problems this may have created. We intend to supply nothing but the best quality ice traction products available.
Sincerely,
Dan Theberge
32north Corporation
6 Arctic Circle
Biddeford, Maine 04005
1-800-782-2423

I received free replacement screws within 2 days of contacting them. Great customer service. Hope this helps.

FYI- this weekend on a hike to North Twin I lost all but 1 cleat off both feet!

I emailed 32 North and they sent me a similar email. Hope this works, but I bought the Microspikes just in case. I fell a couple of times and banged my knee pretty good and don't want that to happen again. My first version Stabilicers seem to have been made more sturdy- I let them know that as well.