Pools That Beckon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
So it's hot, humid, and buggy. Your entire body itches from that last batch of mosquitos that ambushed you on a steep section. Then, you see it...a sparkling pool of emerald green water in the river beside the trail. You have no idea of how cold the water is, but you suspect it's a bit chilly.

So....do you jump?
Stick your toes in?
Or just look?

One of my favorite pools - Rattlesnake Brook
JumpOn8.jpg

It took 10 jumps to get the timing down, but it was a lot of fun!

Let's see and hear about YOUR favorite "cool pools for mountain fools". :cool:

Hahaha . . . perfect timing. We spent quite a bit of time taking in the spectacular pools of the Ammo this weekend. I usually begin with the dipping of the toes and sometimes I will stick with just getting my legs wet unless Brian drags me in. He will jump in almost all the time. I do love relaxing my cool green soothing pools of water, that and waterfalls are the only parts of summer hiking I really enjoy (otherwise bring on Fall and Winter).

Nice picture as always.

sli74

Peakbagr said:
Is that the same one up in Cold River country?

Yes, just down the notch from "the" Emerald Pool, which sports a good 8 foot ( + or -) leap from atop the chasm (red arrow):
EmeraldPool.jpg

Great spots. We stayed at the Cold River Camp when our daughter was little. Hiked some great places and enjoyed the pools.
Thanks for the great reminder.

I thought I recognized the spot! We all jumped in after a long day and DANG it was cold, but refreshing.

I'm a big one for dipping my head in every stream I cross on really hot days. Helps a lot!

Tim Seaver said:
So....do you jump?
Stick your toes in?
Or just look?

On the way up/in? On a hot day, I'm dunking my head.

On the way out, or close to where we're stopping for the night? I'm all in :D

Tim Seaver said:
Yes, just down the notch from "the" Emerald Pool, which sports a good 8 foot ( + or -) leap from atop the chasm (red arrow):

A good back flip perch if your aerially inclined (which I'm not.) :eek:

The area seemed a little overused last I was there, is it on private land?? Such a beautiful pool.

Tim, cool pic. Man, those submerged rocks look sooooo close to the surface.

Five minute mini-bushwack below Glen Ellis Falls. Awesome spot with a nice 5 foot jump from a rock. No, wait, I'm wrong. That spot is awful. Don't go ;) .

Last edited:
I was up there in Evan's Notch last week hiking with 5th graders. Scoped it out on my own on Monday, and I did dive right in, without hesitation. :)

Tim Seaver said:

Nice shots and spots Tim, I'm a bit more partial to 'the OTHER' Emerald Pool in 'the other' notch ;)

This thread reminds me of a backpack JayH and I did in the Pemi a few years ago. We stopped for lunch at Franconia Falls and people were sliding down into the lowers pools. Turned out there were strong currents and this person could not get out of the water, the force was pushing them away from the edge. If memory serves me another person jumped in to help and they too could not get out. Finally a person already on the rocks was able to climb down and assist them out.

Then Jay and I were thrown out for not having a pass to be at the falls, but that’s a story for another thread. :)

Scary how a fun time like that went bad quickly.

Have fun, but be careful out there.

Gleason Brook, Camel's Hump

I was doing a long southbound section hike (200 mi.) of the LT/AT in July '05. Climbing the Bamforth Ridge Trail on Camel's Hump after the three mile road walk on River Rd. on the hottest day of the summer that year I discovered some nice potholes in the brook alongside the LT in the area of the old Buchanan Lodge site.

It was one of the nicest hours I spent on the entire trip. It sure saved my brain from cooking.

useful link

sorry to repeat myself (kjbjette's thread on Franconia notch spots) but in case you've never seen this site - it's got a lot of places to explore and they've all turned up winners for me.

http://www.swimmingholes.org/

they seem to have good policies about only posting info about truly public land, usually with GPS coords, and updated info.

and no, I don't get a commision for generating hits on their site :rolleyes:

For a swim on the wild side, try Goose Eye Brook along the Wright Trail north of Bethel, ME. It has excellent cascades, potholes and natural waterslides. The Wright Trail itself rocks too; an excellent loop hike up to the two Goose Eye summits.

Marty

some of my favs:

VT
~ Bartlett Falls
~ Falls of Lana
~ Huntington Falls
~ Terrill Gorge
~ The Potholes (Devil's Potholes)

NH
~ Lower Ammonoosuc Falls
~ Upper Ammonoosuc Falls
~ Franconia Falls
~ off Crawford Path (it's somewhat of a secret)
~ Swiftwater Falls (Bath)
~ Welton Falls
~ About 500 spots on the Pemigewasset
~ Emerald Pool

ME
~ Gulf Hagas
~ Stairs Falls
~ Frenchmen Hole
~ Moxie Falls
~ Smalls Falls
~ Rattlesnake Pool

Last edited:
My favorite swimming hole. The pictures were taken with an old camera.

2760012330048820105S500x500Q85.jpg

2898315340048820105S500x500Q85.jpg

2132003620048820105S500x500Q85.jpg

I'm not sure that I want to disclose its location, it's not really a "secret" spot, but it dosen't need any advertising. Anyone already know?

Last edited: