Motel recommendations for Newcomb area??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
Tentative plans to tackle Allen on Saturday. Coming from Boston--where is a good place to stay for the night for quick drive to the trailhead?

And (this is posted elsewhere as well) if anybody else is planning on this on Saturday, I would value company (or being company as the case may be).

-David

There's a small(5-6 rooms) hotel on the East side of Rt 30/28N in Long Lake. Don't know the name though. Long Lake will be 20-25 minutes from the trailhead.

There are three B&B's in Newcomb that are very nice but are closed in the winter.

The Maple Leaf Motel in Schroon Lake. Kitchen stuff in every room, I believe. It's about a 45-minute drive from there to the Upper Works trailheads. Both times I've climbed Allen it was from the Maple Leaf.

The Sugar Bowl Restaurant downtown, if you'd rather start your day with "the works," opened at 5 a.m., last I knew.

Newcomb only has B&Bs. And a pub-like place for meals, which people claim is good, but never seemed to be open when we were staying in Newcomb back in October, 2000. I'm pretty sure the place at which we stayed (Murdie's) is no longer in business.

Long Lake is well west of the trailhead, so Schroon Lake will it make a shorter first day for you.

Motel in Long Lake

The motel rdl mentioned in Long Lake is the Corner Motel, 518 624-3571. It's a few hundred feet west of the 30/28N intersection, about 30 miles from the trailhead. Raymond is right, though, as Schroon Lake would make for a shorter first day.

teejay

We stayed in the Corner Motel in the fall when we did Allen. It's functional, not much more, but an okay base. I thought the drive from Long Lake to Newcomb was shorter and easier than from Schroon Lake.

I would tend to agree the drive from Long Lake to Upper Works is preferred to the drive from Schroon Lake to Upper Works.

I don't have exact mileage but 28N between Long Lake and Newcomb is wide open and relatively straight. The road between 87 and the Upper Works turnoff can be narrow and windy. I drove this about two weeks ago and it wasn't that easy on snow covered roads.

I'm not sure if all the b&b's are closed in the winter in Newcomb, you might want to check the town website and chamber of commerce page to be sure. It lists the b&b's in town and at least one mentions staying close to gore mtn. for skiing.
i also agree that the ride from Long Lake is much shorter and easier than from Schroon. Living here believe me, we know.
I suggest you try Aunt Polly's or Lake Harris Bay B&B. The Cedar Inn is the only one that mentions a schedule of operation.
http://newcombny.com/chamber.htm

Newcomb B&B

Dont know if this is timely enough to help you out, but I have stayed at the Lake Harris Bay B&B in Newcomb twice. It may seem a little pricey but the price includes room, linens/towels, friendly hosts and a fresh cooked breakfast, with coffee, at whatever hour you like. I've had fine breakfasts at 5 am twice now, including 2/28 before heading out to the trailheads. I recommend it!

Wayne O.

Schroon Lake Option

I ended up at the Wayfarer Inn on Rte 9, just south of Schroon Lake ($55, two double beds, basic but very clean and comfortable). I figured I'd settle for the shorter drive from Boston rather than the closer-to-the-trailhead option Newcomb offered. Maple Leaf was sold out! And--this is my huge disappointment--The Sugar Bowl Restaurant was pitch black at 5:15 (after the guy who answered the phone said they would be open at 4:30). I had my heart set on a breakfast special, and ended up with a rather drab bagel from Stewart's instead.

thank you all for the suggestions.

-David

That's a shame about the Sugar Bowl. I ate there a couple times back in September 2001, but when my ladyfriend, Susan, and I were in Schroon Lake last year, we were able to eat breakfast in our cabin at the Maple Leaf. (We used up some old — several years old — instant oatmeal.)

Did you bag Allen?

aunt polly's b&b, newcomb (on the west side of town)
They have a separate house next door and rent rooms in that house to hikers wanting to get up early for bagging.
1-518-582-2260