Hanging Spear Falls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
I asked several of you this over the past few days with no success. I found a sign which appeared to be marking some sort of grave near the falls and am wondering if anyone knows the history behind it. The sign was very old and faded but I believe the name on it was E. G. Milstrey. Anyone?

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
Rik,

Can you attach a picture? Might jog some memories.

I'll see how it came out. It was hard to read with the naked eye so I suspect a photo won't be very helpful.

I will try to post a picture soon. It came out better than I thought it would considering I was hanging by one hand and a couple toe holds while I took it.
It appears to read:

"Where ... ...rn lies some of the
remains of E. G. Milstrey
He loved th..e. mountains
may he r......n here till
the ..... ...... ....."

I will probably go back again but I would love to know if anyone knows the story behind it.

Rik,

I found the same reference as peakbgr. Going a bit further, a page or two down on Google, somehow I found an Eric Gordon Milstrey who received his Ph.D. from the University of Florida in 1987. He was an entymologist. In his acknowledgements he credits his wife Susan for her help in attaining his doctorate. Unfortunately, the online version of the dissertation didn't allow me to see the biographical sketch of Eric.

There were a number of Google results for a Susan Milstrey-Wells, an author who currently lives in Halfmoon, NY outside of Albany, which I found out from the book jacket, A Delicate Balance: Living Successfully with Chronic........

Apparently, E. G. Milstrey didn't publish any work after about 1988 although he was cited by number of authors since then. I wonder if he perhaps died tragically or unexpectedly and his wife remarried.

teejay

Last edited:
I'm bumping this very old thread because I was contacted by the son of Emory G. Milstrey who placed the memorial there for his father who had passed away from brain cancer. Hanging Spear Falls was the last hike the two of them took together.

I'm bumping this very old thread because I was contacted by the son of Emory G. Milstrey who placed the memorial there for his father who had passed away from brain cancer. Hanging Spear Falls was the last hike the two of them took together.

Yes, very cool. Thanks for posting this.