Sandwich Notch land grab

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link to an item in yesterday's MUL (I refuse to pay them any $ for the full article). For a starting price of $9,750,000, anyone can bid on 6299 acres of undeveloped land in Campton and Sandwich (Sandwich Notch). I guess many of us knew that this was coming, but I was hoping the slow down in the economy might put it off for a few more years, or I wish decades.

Dr. D

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=7a70b42c-c974-4ed1-988a-9f628c4a05c6

I'm not sure what a "land grad" is. I would be happy to be educated on this term.

Otherwise this sounds good to me. The land will be sold from one consenting party to another.

How does one party selling land to another party represent a "land grab"? When I buy groceries is it a "food grab"?

I don't understand either. Perhaps it is that the blurb linked to really says nothing much (and I agree I won't pay them money just to read this article.) Are you afraid that land developers will ravage the land? Timber loggers? I could understand your concern over developers, but the housing situation is kind of sad right now. Logging is not so bad as long as it is responsible selective cutting. But in the end I have to agree with Pig Pen in that a sale of land between two consenting parties is not really a baad thing.

Brian

Whether a person likes it or not, this is the private timberland game in the NE. Willing buyer/willing seller. Unfortunately the asking price of $1547 per acre is far above the sustainable timber value of the property (usually 300 to 500 per acre). Therefore there are four general types of buyers that will be interested. Conservation buyers, individuals with spare cash who dont care about return, businesses that will figure a way out of making some short term cash and businesses that will figure out a way of making enough short term return to drive the book value down to sustainable timber value.

I perceive that the play on this property will be publicize the fact that it is in peril and get congressional action to add it to the WMNF (not sure if its in the declaration boundary of the forest). It happened with Lake Tarleton a few years back. TPL (trust for public lands) will fund the initial purchase (once they have assurances that some organization or public agency will ultimately buy it). NH did one of these transactions a few years back for a large block of land in Pittsburg, the state retained the development rights and critical conservations lands, then resold the rest of the land for sustainable logging. Given its proximity to Squam lake, the Squam lake association may be another lead group.

Individuals with spare cash with a conservation intent are always around but
there are a lot of other large parcels availlable at a lower price.

The scariest is the "short term investor", they would high grade log the property (easy to do with NH's minimal cutting regulations), then after its cut, threaten to cut it into camp lots until some conservation group bought the property from them. Note everyone would decry the proposition, but more than a few would most likely get on the waiting list to buy a cheap camp lot in the white mountains for $3000 an acre (there are occasional threads on VFFT on where to buy cheap lots in the mountains.

The "long term investor" would buy the property, line up the sale of development rights to a conservation organization, keep the raw land then log it "hard" under the pretense of timberstand improvement for several years, then sell what was left to a timber investment trust or to a short term investor(who would cut what was left), or pull a Plum Creek Deal and announce a planned development.

By the way, the local towns have the incentive to have options 3 and 4 as they get 10 % of the value of the wood that gets cut off the property.

This sounds right on the money (pun intended) to me, Peakbagger, including the scariest "short term investor scenario."

Here's today's article from the Union Leader, which I'll paste in below before it goes to the archives. Note the ad in the Wall Street Journal.

<mod hat>Please just post links to copyrighted articles. -dave-</mod hat>

By PAULA TRACY
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
2 hours, 55 minutes ago

APPROXIMATELY 6,299 acres of timberland in Campton and Sandwich is for sale. The tract borders the 780,000-acre White Mountain National Forest.

Yankee Forest LLC has listed the large tract with LandVest for $9,750,000.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=8b26785a-da34-44ee-9469-5ecce5bb9073

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info

I did some reserch to try to locate the exact boundaries of this land and i came across this page.

http://www.envstudies.brown.edu/projects/CamptonGIS/Unfrag.htm

this page defines the areas by size and defines their corresponding location on the map.

http://www.envstudies.brown.edu/projects/CamptonGIS/unfragChart.htm

It shows all of the unfragmented land in Campton. It shows numerous parcels some as large as 58,000 acress. Most of the large tracts are only part of Campton.

Cross referencing this information it looks that the property is only part of a 28,000 acre land tract in the area, not sure who or whats going on with the other land in the tract.

just some info......

Last edited:
I think I know the piece of land in question. If you follow the dirt road to the west from the intersection of the Guinea Pond Trail and Sandwich Notch Rd. you will reach it. The road can be driven a couple of miles or so until you hit a gate. From there it is private land. I believe the road is the original railroad bed that used to go all the way to Flat Mt. Pond. It is a nice area.

It took a while, but this land sale happened. The willing buyer was The Conservation Fund. Peakbagger proves again he really knows the score. See link below to Squam Lake Conservation Society News page. This is a great area. I've done many on and off trail excursions into it and adjacent areas and wondered who owns it. Most maps show this area as sort of blank. There isn't much signage about who owns what in there. I can say logging is happening. Motor vehicle access is very limited. Snow mobile corridor 204 passes through it.

http://www.squamlakes.com/beebe-river-property/

Last edited:
It took a while, but this land sale happened. The willing buyer was The Conservation Fund. Peakbagger proves again he really knows the score. See link below to Squam Lake Conservation Society News page. This is a great area. I've done many on and off trail excursions into it and adjacent areas and wondered who owns it. Most maps show this area as sort of blank. There isn't much signage about who owns what in there. I can say logging is happening. Motor vehicle access is very limited. Snow mobile corridor 204 passes through it.

http://www.squamlakes.com/beebe-river-property/

Fantastic news! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the update. I expect that next " land grab" will be Success Township. Of course the visibility is lower but we can hope that the results are the same.

Thinking the SLA has more resources at hand than a group that might be interested in the same result for Success Township. That said, ST, IMO is a bit too north to drive a price that would be realistic for camp lots or 2nd homes unless they are already up in the area using the motorized play area up in the area. (Not my cup of tea, are they ATV's motorcycles, jeepers or all of the above) Still some old money around Squam, living the ie., "On Golden Pond" experience. Not to hard to get to from the more affluent suburbs of Boston, Providence and Hartford, or Fairfield County.

Well there is always John Mallone, He ended up with Nash Stream when he bought a big chunk of maine a few years ago.

There are motorized recreation folks buying in the north country in the last two or three years. I met one family who picked up a home in berlin for a vacation home so they could have access to the ATV network. Success is substantially out of legal bounds for the OHRV crowds but there are a few trail corridors that run through there and Success Pond road gets a lot of illegal use.