The 48 Direttissima - in progress update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
undisclosed location

Yesterday I talked to him briefly while he was on Wildcat. He was trying to make it to Osgood tent site that night (Saturday). Today I went up Castle Ravine Trail and down the Gulfside to Adams but no Mats. Either he didn't make it to Osgood or he holed up to wait out the rain. (it sucked). Even if he had got down from Jefferson he was facing a 6 or more mile road walk to the Kilkinney TH. :eek: That would be tough after hiking all day in the rain...

I think his phone is dead.

just got a call from mats - 46 down - 2 to go.

he is a a B & B tonight in bowman and is doing waumbek & cabot tommorow for the finish :) :) said the rain was just too much today for a night out - can't blame him there.....

If anyone is intererested in joining, he will be at the waumbek trailhead at about 6-6:30am and expects to be on cabot summit about 4pm and will be heading down mt cabot trail after that.

He sounded in great form, the legs and feet are doing well.

great stuff mats :) :D :) :D :)

ps hamtero, he thinks he missed you by minutes?

Looks like I underestimated him as I just got a call from him. He is in a bed and breakfast on Rt 2. He got to Rt 2 at 9pm I think. He heard from other hikers that I was up there looking for him but didn't know I went down Israel Ridge.

That's one tough dude.

Hope that Mats only eats his instant oatmeal cooked on his own stove at the B&B in Bowman; just kidding!

I talked to Mats for about 10 minutes on my way down Jackson around Friday noontime. Friday was hot and humid, but at least the rain held off until late Saturday afternoon (shower) and Sunday. I am wondering where he spend Friday night?

Mats told me that he really suffered on the Tri's - Passaconaway traverse, as he carried his heavy pack up the North Tri slide, then missed the Kate Sleeper Trail on his way down the South Tri slide, so had to regain about 1000 vertical feet to find the trail (KST is really easy to miss, especially from above). On top of that, he ran out of water on the traverse, so had little to drink until he got off Passaconaway. Then, he tried to take a short cut via logging roads to reach the Carrigain Notch Trail from the Kanc, but ended up doing some bushwhacking (no, he did not hike the Captain).

Mats looked to be in good shape on Friday, but when he suggested that perhaps he should hike through the night to get back on schedule, I tried really hard to talk him out of that (i.e., just enjoy the backpack and the last few days).

Go Mats! Wish that I could have stayed north to meet him on Cabot.

Your incredible Mats!!! Can't wait to celebrate with you!!!!!!!
Only two left WOW!!! Go Mats Go!!!

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Hope that Mats only eats his instant oatmeal cooked on his own stove at the B&B in Bowman; just kidding!

Exactly what I did...refused the coffe offer and fired up the jetboil in the bathroom :) Hey Dr D.......greatly appreciated seeing you along the hike!

Finished with the company of a mouse on top of Cabot this afternoon at 4:54pm. I think it was the same peakbagger mouse some people saw on Bondcliff a few weeks ago. So total time was 10 days 12 hours and 7 minutes.

Ran into a local guy the last part of the trail who lives by the Mt Cabot trailhead and he invited me over for beer and dinner - he's a doctor at the hospital in Lancaster. He is also trying to get the Mt Cabot trail opened.

17 lbs was shedded by the way.

Had some issues with my cellphone charger (runs on one AA battery). It was good for about 30 seconds of talktime........further report in a couple of days.....another beer please ;)

Sweet! Congratulations on completing your journey, Mats. I can hardly wait to hear the full story. Until then, drink hearty, you have 17 lbs. to put back on :D

Mats Roing said:
Ran into a local guy the last part of the trail who lives by the Mt Cabot trailhead and he invited me over for beer and dinner - he's a doctor at the hospital in Lancaster. He is also trying to get the Mt Cabot trail opened.

So, when many get chased off the Cabot Trail at gun point, Mats gets invited for beer and dinner!

Very fine accomplishment, which I predict will lead to some renewed interest in backpacking the NH4s.

Congratulations! Nice job with completing the 48 old school! Did your wife recognize you? :D

You will probably still continue to loose weight for another day or 2. Your metabolism has gone haywire...

Looking forward to the whole trip report!

btw, that mouse you kept seeing is Mr. Jingles :eek:

WOW!

What a trip!

Can't wait to read the T/R.

(And I was dead just doing the Davis Path! :( )

Gotta get out there more!

Glad you got back safe and sound!

:)

Mats...Congratulations!!! You did it....You did it!!!!

Can't wait for the trip report.

Your incredible....sorry I couldn't be there at the end.

I owe you a mini keg... :)

Whoo-hoo! Way to Go Mats! Looking forward to reading your trip reprt.

-MEB

AWESOME :cool:

I wish I'd know you better, so I could brag about having a friend who just completed the 48 like you did :D

Good job, and enjoy the feeling of great accomplishment as much as you can (until next challenge).

Mats... you are unfathomable.

You rock!!

...now I'm eagerly awaiting the Winter 48 Directissima :D

timmus said:
I wish I'd know you better, so I could brag about having a friend who just completed the 48 like you did :D
I'm sure you can find some quirk in the spacetime continuum that will allow for this. I know I will.

Mats: Congrats. I wish I knew you when I still lived in Brighton. Why didn't you come knock on my F'n door -- I lived there for like 5 years! Anyway, this is pretty wicked what you did. Neat-Oh, dude. :D Congrats.

-Dr. Wu, your nextest friend (after Timmus?)