Saddleback Mountain, Northwood/Deerfield, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
Has anyone hiked Saddleback Mountain in Northwood and Deerfield, NH? Are there trails up this mountain? I have the USGS topo but it doesn't show any trails. What is the best route (if there is one)? Is there access from Route 43?

Thanks much.

Chris

Never been there but my 2005 Delorme map shows Tower Road going almost to the top (radio tower) from the SSW on Rt.43. It’s faint but looks like a trail may leave off near the top of the road. It also looks like the high point may be about a ½ mile N of the radio tower. No clue what the road condition is. If you go I’d be interested in a report.

Someone on another board hiked the road to the tower, note that this is not the highest point. There is a trail to a viewpoint near the 1057 bump from Northwood Meadows SP, if you are lucky you can find a trail map in the mailbox.
http://hikenh.netfirms.com/TDNMeadw.htm

Last time I was (near) there the actual HP was posted private property

The high point is on the NE peak, the tower is on the SW. The easiest way is to go up Saddleback Rd. from Rt 43 in Deerfield. It is closed to vehicular traffic about half way up but foot travel is OK. This goes to the NHPTV tower and there are trails/paths all over up there to get you to the other peak; it's all pretty open woods anyway. There is a nice new trail coming up the north side. It starts on Old Mt. Road way back in the woods. Either go in from Rt 43 in Northwood to the swamp and hike from there or start at Northwood Meadows State Park off Rt 4 and follow the left hand fork to the old road junction of Old Mt. Rd and the trail. You used to be able to drive right to the north trailhead in the park but too many dirtbags trashed the park so now they keep it locked at Rt 4. This particular trail as a pretty nice view of Mt Washington from a high shoulder on the NE ridge.

Lots of folks go mountain biking up there. Just follow the no trespassing rules around the tower and you'll be cool. As long as you don't go west you won't get too lost.

Bob