Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New format for Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by JCE
    I agree with just about everybody, the new format is great!

One suggestion (if it hasn't been made before)....

How about posting (attaching) GPS tracks in the form of trail.gpx with the trail condition? Its fun to see the tracks of those who have done the trail - especially for bush whacks.

Having a repository of gpx tracks would be a lot of fun and beneficial to those planning a hike.

/JCE
    I agree with Peakbagr that for bushwhacks, this is a BAD idea. The essence of whacking is to get there without causing your route to become a herd path. The worst thing I can imagine is everyone trying to follow a GPS track. I've come to accept the idea of using a GPS to determine approximately where the peak is (I've occasionally used one) - but not as a substitute to map and compass. But a track log is over the line.

This discussion may also be over the line as to being on topic (Sorry), unless Darren decides that he will allow or forbid attaching track logs.
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 12-15-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Pb

Papa Bear's NE Peaks Map
    Papa Bear's Hundred Highest List
    Papa Bear's Fifty Finest List

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. - Albert Einstein

I have to agree with PapaBear and Peakbagr on this. People can always get in touch with the poster if they want the track, but I don't think it should just be there for everyone.

- darren
    Kūlia i ka nuu

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    Just curious Darren, but are there any archives of the really old days when we were on the threaded forums on Trailspace or was it lost in the crash of '03?
    I still have a link that that older site, but haven't been there in years (except just now).
    It would be nice to go back and see old posts from 10-12 years ago (and see if my disposition has changed in that time )
    Thanks
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick; 12-15-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Rick

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by darren
    After 13 years, the format of the Northeast trail conditions section has finally been upgraded.
    Looks like it's time to not allow images in the Trail Conditions section!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Just curious Darren, but are there any archives of the really old days when we were on the threaded forums on Trailspace or was it lost in the crash of '03?

"We" were never on Trailspace. That is a totally different website. They took over the rec.climbing forum and the gear reviews when I scaled down VFTT about 8 years ago.

Here is an archive of the old Q&A forum almost 10 years ago (complete with a "dogs on the trail" thread man, that debate will never go away )

http://web.archive.org/web/199805261...ard/index.html

- darren
    Kūlia i ka nuu

Several times I've come to post trip reports and seen that someone has already posted a report for that route or something very similar on the same day or day before. (in fact just now, too!) I don't want to add duplicate reports, but a few times, I've wanted to add some additional info that the original report left out. Any chance you might enable replies to trip reports for registered users?

Quote Originally Posted by evilhanz
    Any chance you might enable replies to trip reports for registered users?
    I won't speak for Darren, but I doubt it. We've got Trail Conditions set up to be simply reports not discussion. Trip Reports are open for discussions by registered users. There's no reason not to add a second trail conditions post if it adds information.

That setup seems to meet the needs of the registered users and guests so far. If there's a way we can improve that, we're open to suggestions.

I too don't see a need for modifying it at this point, but as I mentioned earlier, this is a work in progress.

Has there been included a way to do a search on the 'Trail Conditions'? I'm coming up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by carole
    Has there been included a way to do a search on the 'Trail Conditions'? I'm coming up empty.
    Go to Search->Advanced Search and select Northeast Trail Conditions as the forum. Make sure the "Include Subfolders" box is checked.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by carole
    If not, you can ask google, or many other search engines as well, to only search on a single domain.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    Go to Search->Advanced Search and select Northeast Trail Conditions as the forum. Make sure the "Include Subfolders" box is checked.
    I'm not seeing a "Include Subfolders" box.

What I find is if I chose to search in New Hampshire 'Trail Conditions' I can come up with all my posts if I search under my name in "User Name" but if I search for a word in the "Key Word" it returns a "Sorry - no matches". Example "Belknap".

It really says

[ ] Also search in child forums

and appears beneath the list of forums, in the lower right.

Note that I can see a thread in NH Trail Conditions with "Cardigan" in the title but searching either NH TC or the whole forum with the child forum checked matches zero threads when searching for "Cardigan".

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I tried the same search, and got the same results. We may be missing some indexes for the search on the TC forums. I'll report it to Darren.

And yes, I mean "Also search in child forums", sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    I tried the same search, and got the same results. We may be missing some indexes for the search on the TC forums. I'll report it to Darren.

And yes, I mean "Also search in child forums", sorry.

Thank you Dave.