Mt. Marcy in Jan/Feb 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissionsMan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for information on routes/trails to Mt. Marcy (or possibly the "Gothics"?) for a Jan/Feb 2005 climb - will probably have a week for the trip and will be accompanied by a partner on this one.

Any suggestions?

To ease the consciences of those veterans who have such information, ***DISCLAIMER**** I accept the danger of winter trips into the mountains and the advice received here, by me, is understood as a guideline only. I am an experienced winter climber/backpacker (20+yrs) and with cold weather conditions, I have all necessary equip. (bags to -40F, crampons/glacier axe, technical tools if necessary, double and single wall tents, etc) and maintain adequate mountain skills to keep from having to make rescue calls, but plan as much as possible for the unexpected. I am, however, ashamedly unfamiliar with the 'Daks and would love to come and play in your mountains.

Thanks for your help, wisdom and guidance.

Mm

Last edited:
Marcy in 2005

There are many ways to get there. Here are two of my favorites.

As you have so many days to play, you can do the Great Range. Start at the garden and return the same way. You can backpack over the range, or dayhike from base camp set up in Johns Brook Valley. It is a great trail and very popular so you'll see lots of people.

If you want to get away from the crowds try starting your trip from Upper works. Hike up to flowed lands and then up to Lake Tear of the Clouds and 4 corners. It is a straight forward bushwhack to Grey and and easy traverse across the land bridge to Marcy. You can snag Skylight while you're at it, but don't forget to bring a rock up with you to place on the summit cairn (an Adirondack tradition).

There are endless combinations and others Mtns. to climb, but try this permutation- Backpack, in either direction, from Upper Works to the Garden.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:
I agree with Woodstrider. Set up basecamp at Johns Brook Lodge. My preferance for getting those two peaks would be a lean-to right near the lodge. Or- better yet call well in advance and rent a cabin near the lodge--Grace Camp for example. The cabins get booked well in advance, especially on busy weekends, so call early.

Joel has done a nice job with his reports at www.adirondackjourney.com

Lots of information on there about possible routes.

(BTW -- gothics is part of the "Great Range" When you're visiting Joel's site, look in there for gothics info)

This year my team and I attempted a summit of Marcy in that first cold weekend in january when it was -35. It was cold. We had two stoves (MSR) and in both of them, the pump froze up. The Four of us made it as far as Bushnell falls for Base camp, but after the stove failures, and two of the guys being first stage hypothermic, we high tailed it out of there.

We will attempt in January next year, as is the new tradition, whatever the cold is. I recommend trying to make it to Slant Rock, because that makes Marcy much more do-able as a day hike, and for a second peak, I would go for Haystack, instead of Skylight, because to get Skylight, you would have to traverse back over Marcy, or Worse, down into panther gorge and over the south side of Haystack. (The south side is trecherous). I have done the Marcy/Skylight/Haystack/Basin Loop twice, but only in the summer. (its over a vertical mile :) )

There are other hikes that are just as rewarding in the dax, but are much less dangerous. (Marcy is very remote). So if you are interested in cutting your pervervial winter adk teeth more easily, I can make some other suggestions.