Hike suggestion, Rutland, VT area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
I'll be in the Rutland area sometime in the next few months and would like to work a hike in with the trip. Any suggestions for something nearby? Long Trail from Sherburne Pass? North or South? I'd also welcome anyone else interested to join me.

I should have a better idea of a date as soon as the court date is set.

teejay

Bucklin Trail to Killington (via the LT)

Sherburne Pass to Pico Peak and/or Killington

If you don't mind a short drive, Mt.'s Abraham and Ellen are super sweet.

Black Swamp Trail to Sherburne Peak to Killington (via the LT)

all nice hikes...

teejay said:
I should have a better idea of a date as soon as the court date is set.

Hmmmm... Am I not the only one getting a "going a bit too fast through the speed trap" reminder? Hope it's nothing more serious

You need to take into consideration that many of the trails leading to the summits are closed during mud season in VT. If it is open, the old LT from Inn at Long trail to Pico Camp was sweet (except for the ski trail crossing which could be confusing). A Mendon Bushwhack is also nice (from Brewers Corner on Wheelerville Road), though it will be muddy (but from what I hear, ADK folks are used to the mud:))

Re: Re: Hike suggestion, Rutland, VT area?

SherpaKroto said:

You need to take into consideration that many of the trails leading to the summits are closed during mud season in VT.

I wasn't aware they closed trails in VT during mud season... is it just trails to peaks? I was planning to finish up the northern section of the AT in VT in April... (past Killington) now you've got me wondering if that will be possible? Any insight about where I can check?

- Ivy