Quabbin reservoir

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
I've got to go out to W Mass this weekend but am looking to take a little side trip (w/ my 9 month old girl.) Does anyone have any experience hiking in the Quabbin Reservoir area?

Never hiked there but was always curious...

about the "ghost towns" that were flooded when they dammed to make the Quabbin. I always intended to get out there for a look -- probably better in the summer, though.

Here is a link to some "ghost town" info about Dana, MA

I don't know why, but the whole idea of a submerged town (even though I am pretty sure they dismantled all the buildings and such) is at once intriguing and very, very sad.

It's a beautiful area. I haven't been there since I was a kid (I grew up nearby) so I remember nothing about it, but you really can't go wrong out there.

Be sure to visit the observation tower at the visitor center. I think it's open year-round and the view is tremendous.

Until Madison joined my life, I hiked down in Quabbin regularly - dogs are illegal there so officially she cannot join me...so I'm no longer a regular. I live very close, however!

The walk into Dana is really nice, though I prefer to do it on a bike because it is on the longer side and mostly flat (and I don't know what the condition is in winter - based on conditions locally, it will probably be ankle deep and slushy, esp. with temps in the 50s). It's off of Rt. 32A in Petersham. I don't remember the gate number. IIRC, it takes ~40 min to walk to the town common. There are some VERY cool cellar holes.

There's a sweet hike about 2 miles from the center of Petersham, past an old soapstone quarry. The VFTT of Soapstone Mtn is QUITE nice. In P'ham, 122 is intersected by West RD and West ST. Take West RD to the end - there's a gate. Down the hill a bit, within view of the reservoir and just over a small culvert, the woods roads come to a 4-way intersection. Take a right. You should be able to see the work of some beavers to the right - it's an older pond. Keep an eye out on your left - last time I was there, there was a blue triangle blaze marking the beginning of Soapstone trail - the trail starts out by pushing through some white pines. From that point to the summit, the trail is marginally blazed - there are usually tracks, though. There are two (I think) steep parts that might be kind of icy, especially right next to the quarry (you won't fall in unless you try).

On 202, about 5 (?) miles north of the Rt 9 & 202 intersection, there's a blinking yellow light at a four-way intersection. Turning left would take you into Amherst. Turning right takes you onto a short dirt road and another Quabbin gate - #16. That's a very nice walk, as well.

I'd also second the visitor's center and tower off Rt 9 in Belchertown. It's short and I always enjoy the tour through the museum.

When I do my Quabbin loop, I always bike past the overflow dam. When it's flowing, it looks like it would be a fantastic (and terrifying!) ride in my kayak. Too bad it's Boston's water supply!!

Last edited:
When we lived in Sterling, My small son and I hiked there frequently. I thought we posted a map to Soapstone mountain on VFTT a few years back. If you would like, I can dig it out and send it to you. It is a very nice short hike which affords some wonderful views.

Hikrgrl - We should get together sometime, we're close to the area too, along with another VFTT dog owner I can think of in the area - Smitty & Mika. There's lots of great other dogs-allowed places to explore.

As for Quabbin - I'm sorry I can't help beyond what's already been shared here. I always parked at whatever gate, and started exploring. It's been 15 years or more since I've gone to Quabbin. It isn't due to the hiking, it's a great place. It's just that I prefer to bring a dog along when I head out.

My kids and I really enjoyed the fish hatchery. Yes I know its not hiking but feeding the trout is a lot of fun.

The country store in Petersham has an excellent book and a map of the area. One of my favorite hikes is to Dana Common , then visiting the plane crash, then the Indian Kitchen, then a bushwhack through very open woods to the lakeshore, and a walk back on the main road.

Strangely, they don't allow XC skiing...?

I took a dog to Quabbin in the late 90's, didn't know they weren't allowed.

DrewKnight said:
I don't know why, but the whole idea of a submerged town (even though I am pretty sure they dismantled all the buildings and such) is at once intriguing and very, very sad.

Nice link..... the same thing occurred with the construction of the Ashokan Reservoir, a few towns were flooded and displaced in the Catskills.

Last edited:
DrewKnight said:

Interestingly, I recently saw a report of a fellow from one of the defunct towns. He took a boat ride out to a point on the reservoir that is above where he grew up. He said that he was 107 feet above his former home, the closest he will ever get...sad.

Never been to the Quabbin. However, have taken hikes with my dog many times over at the Harvard Forest in Petersham. Very interesting place with great trails. Can learn about forestery and silviculture practice just walking the trails.

dave

Last edited:
Hey I heard that when the water is low you can see some of the buildings (like church steeples etc). Does anyone have some info on as to in what parts this is? Or even better pictures?

Cool as that sounds, probably not...

I've heard that rumor too, but I don't think there's any truth to it. For the most part, buildings were dismantled and many were just moved to new locations. The trees were all logged off to the waterline, too. Essentially, they scraped the soon-to-be-bottom bare. Scroll the photos on this page to see what it looked like before and after: Enfield MA images.