Mt. Prospect, Holderness, NH 01/31/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Trailhead is about the highest elevation on Mt Prospect Road a hundred feet South of a red two car garage. The trail is unblazed, on private land and is most likely an old logging road over easy grades to within a tenth of a mile of the summit. The trail is well broken out and bare booting would not be a problem although I was wearing snowshoes. Ski tracks were also evident. GPS data below. No guarentees of accuracy.

Trailhead 19 T 287630 4851147 1112 ft
Mt Prospect 19 T 289488 4850389 2109 ft
view 01 19 T 289345 4850175 1998 ft
view 02 19 T 289385 4850246 2047 ft
View 03 19 T 289564 4850472 2069 ft

Views were lovely. 3.4 miles took about 1:45

Pictures (13)

I love your pictures, you never see a trail report about Mt Prospect. I hiked it once back when I went to Plymouth State. I was blown away by the views. And I happen to like it a little more than Morgan and Percival cause its quieter and there are slightly better views to the north. Here are my pics from the day. I took the hike back in 2005.

http://grouseking.phanfare.com/album/167719#imageID=9811474

file.jpg

We've hiked Prospect a 1/2 dozen times over the years and we've never run into anyone else on the trail. We even skied it once. There used to be a carriage road (horse and buggy) that went right to the summit (or at least nearby) from the now gone Pemigewasset House in Plymouth. The summit used to be wide open fields. Hard to believe that now. A great little hike.

There is a cave near the summit with a large room that most anyone can get into, with a crevice that only the committed should try that is where the miser supposedly hid his stash

Coming to the party a little late, I realize, but I'll add that there's a detailed description of Mt Prospect and its former panoramic views in Moses Sweetser's "White Mountains: A Handbook for Travelers" (1879; first ed. 1876). (I haven't checked to see if Sweetser lifted it from Thos. Starr King.) You can read it at https://goo.gl/teXvxo

I love Sweetser's amazingly detailed panoramic descriptions, which seem accurate, to the extent vistas haven't changed, from the couple of times I've copied his pages before a hike. It's remarkable that "Mt. Wachuset" in Mass. could once be seen from this summit. Since a couple of the links above seem no longer to work, I'll link some view photos (and a GPS track) from my hike there in 2012.