Skiing the Equinox Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we allowed to ski or hike the Mt Equinox Rd in winter?
I know they don't want pedestrian traffic in the summer but that is probably just a safety issue.I was wondering if it was off limits or not
?????

Just called the Mountain Goat in Manchester about sking or snowshoeing the Equinox Rd. It appears that this is frowned upon and she was asked to leave the area because it is private property. Guess the Carthusians are not looking for company or maybe they don't want to be sued if someone gets hurt there.
She told me that people were snowshoeing behind the Equinox hotel and this is allowed.

I go up there quite often especially fall/winter.....too bad that eyesore
of a building is up there.At least they could of considered the natural surroundings,i.e. Bascom Lodge over on Greylock.

Cragway,
Do you go up on the trails in back of the school and the trails behind the hotel, or are you using Skyline Drive?
I finally got a return call from the Chamber of Commerce and they said Skyline was off limits.
Just wondering if people are using the paved road in winter or not. I would love to go up there.

Just called the Mountain Goat in Manchester about sking or snowshoeing the Equinox Rd. It appears that this is frowned upon and she was asked to leave the area because it is private property. Guess the Carthusians are not looking for company or maybe they don't want to be sued if someone gets hurt there.
She told me that people were snowshoeing behind the Equinox hotel and this is allowed.

Is this still the case? I was thinking, with so much southern exposure, the road up Equinox might be an early route to thaw out and thus minimize the ice/snow experience on a significant New England peak in early to mid spring.

You can ski it. The sleds blaze up and down it all winter.(keep an ear out for them) It seems steep, but it's really not that steep for skis. There are numerous better spots to ski off EQX than the access road.