Forest Fires in New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see how the blueberries come in up there next year. Commercial operations tend to put their fields on 3 year burn cycles (the season immediately after generally bears little or no fruit, pun intended).

Just an update regarding trails on Mt. Major. The Boulder trail did indeed see the most flames but the trail is not damaged in any way, and the fire really only burned the surface leaves and debris so with the rain and new growth the evidence will probably diminish quickly especially when the leaves fall this autumn. Those who are familiar with the Bay View trail will also see the burn zone. I took some pictures to document the change over time. A large tree that last fall was broken overhead above the trail and hanging dangerously but was too big for me to safely do anything with was cut down by the fire crew :D . The pretty pond/marsh area that was used to pump water near the summit looks untouched and is now back to it’s normal water level. :)

One difference about regrowth now vs. 100-200 years ago is that then, an area burned, and very little foot traffic occurred so it was allowed to regrew. Now, once you get to bare rock, in a case like Monadnock (for example) that are many thousands of hikers tramping what is trying to grow. It may never regrow.

carole said:
Just an update regarding trails on Mt. Major...the fire really only burned the surface leaves and debris so with the rain and new growth the evidence will probably diminish quickly especially when the leaves fall this autumn.
Many years ago I climbed the little bump N of Major which has just burned, the area had a funny smell and you would get soot on your clothes but the forest itself was mostly spared and you probably wouldn't notice the burn area today

dug said:
Now, once you get to bare rock, in a case like Monadnock (for example) that are many thousands of hikers tramping what is trying to grow. It may never regrow.
Even Monadnock is regrowing as shown by comparison of photos from the '50s with now. The treadway and the summit rocks may never regrow but that's only a small part of the mountain.