Tibia Stress Fracture - Help! (or no hiking for me...)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Can anybody recommend an orthopedic doctor in/around Boston that you know has solid experience in dealing with leg/tibia stress fractures? Mine is believed to have occurred from a combination of running & hiking (mostly running).

I haven't hiked for five months due to this darn thing! I'd love to finish my last 8 4k's of New Hampshire this year if I can get this thing to finally start healing. So far, I've had no luck - even with casts, bone stimulators, calcium supplements, improved diet, physical therapy and complete lack of activity.

Normally I wouldn't have posted this on this forum as it's only slightly hiking related, but I'm out of options. Nobody has given me a great lead yet (I've seen two orthopedic doctors and they both have a lousy history in regards to stress fractures - one is already suggesting putting a metal rod through my leg :( )

I'm going out of my mind..... :eek:

Mine was different. I was about age 38. Too much running. No cast, but I stayed on crutches for about a month, and no running for about 4 months.

Mine happened while living and running in Buffalo, NY. There was a great running doc there that was available. He was attempting to qualify for the US Olympic team for the marathon. There has got to be one in Boston. Another source for injury information for this sort of thing is Tim Noakes, M.D., book on running. http://www.amazon.com/Lore-Running-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211331491&sr=1-1

I had Dr Re out of Emerson Hospital, he was amazing. he's young and athletic, so he knows you don't want to be laid up but want to heal correctly too!
I had to wear a boot cast, but was able to walk and do a few things while it healed.

He also operated on my rotator cuff and I have 95%+ usage back on that.

The best part is he listens to you!

Paul Re, MD
Orthopedic Surgery, Sports Medicine
Concord: 978-369-5391
Westford: 978-369-5391

Woody48 said:
Exactly why I don't run!! :D

I don't think I'll ever desire to get seriously back into running after doing a bunch of research since my injury. I can't believe the impact that running can have (especially on cement and asphalt) on the knees, leg, ankle, foot, even back/spine.

Of course, if you do train 100% properly and follow all the guidelines (stretch, proper warm up, replacing shoes often, proper posture, slowly adding distance or increasing speed, avoiding hard surfaces, etc) it's quite possible you'll always remain injury free.

I'll stick to hiking with trekking poles, the safest thing out there's good for you :D
I

I suggest you check out Dr. Lyle Micheli in the sports medicine division at Childrens Hospital, Boston. Telephone 617-335-3501. Besides children, the office also treats adult athletes and dancers. He is the medical director for the Boston Marathon. Everyone in the practice is superb. My wife and I have been treated for various sports injuries for years by him.

roadtripper said:
I don't think I'll ever desire to get seriously back into running after doing a bunch of research since my injury. I can't believe the impact that running can have (especially on cement and asphalt) on the knees, leg, ankle, foot, even back/spine.

Of course, if you do train 100% properly and follow all the guidelines (stretch, proper warm up, replacing shoes often, proper posture, slowly adding distance or increasing speed, avoiding hard surfaces, etc) it's quite possible you'll always remain injury free.

I'll stick to hiking with trekking poles, the safest thing out there's good for you :D
I
I would say that although running (or any exercise) used to extremes can cause injuries, it is unusual for a young fit male to have stress fractures. Overuse is more likely to cause a variety of other injuries, not stress fractures. In my many years of running including 4 Boston Marathons these (from among those I know) have only occurred in low weight women. The only exception was a long time hiker and runner friend (my age) who got several fractures in his 60s. After bone density tests and blood work he was shown to have a severe calcium deficiency. The usual case (for someone who is NOT underweight) is to get stronger bones after years of exercise, not weaker.

I suggest you do what my friend did: have a bone density test and complete workup to see if you have some deficiency. This can be diet related or genetic, hormonal etc. Unless you weigh 110 lbs and run 90+ miles a week, I doubt it's from running. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
I agree that running for most people won't cause stress fractures, but weight of runner and intensity of running, what surface you run on, whether you listen to your body or keep plowing right along despite pain (like me- duh) as well as "how" you run (your gait etc) can make a big difference. I've seen 11 year olds with stress fractures from too much soccer- rare, but possible. Lots of good sports med folks in the area- Micheli's group is really excellent if you can get in with them, but lots of good options.

Weatherman

Papa Bear said:
I suggest you do what my friend did: have a bone density test and complete workup to see if you have some deficiency. This can be diet related or genetic, hormonal etc. Unless you weigh 110 lbs and run 90+ miles a week, I doubt it's from running. Just my 2c.

Funny you say that - I just got a bone density test this afternoon and will hear the results of it next Tuesday. I doubt I have a deficiency as I eat fairly well (including enough calcium, vitamin D, etc.)

I am nearly positive that the cause was indeed running. I was trying to be too much of a weekend warrior and as a result was not training properly. I was running 5-6 miles once or twice a week and I jumped up to 10-12 mile runs twice a week too quickly I believe. All my running was on asphalt too. The fracture occured about 1.5 miles into a light jog.

Oh,....and btw.... I should mention that I'm not exactly built like a normal runner - 6'2, 230lbs :D

Stuart & Darl58 - thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll try giving them a call.