Cutting Mt. Davis Down to Size (21-Aug-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Background:
The closest I ever got to Mt. Davis was a few years ago when I did Mt. Isolation as part of completing the NH4K list. You’ve gotta realize that I’m a hard-core day-trip hiker who relishes a hot shower and sleeping in his own bed at the end of a day hiking in the Whites. So, every time I’ve thought about going to Davis, the round-trip mileage has always dissuaded me from attempting it as a day-trip.

I’ve often looked at trail maps and have seen that, as the crow flies, Mt. Davis is a very short distance due west from the Dry River Trail. Several months ago I began to think about the possibility of cutting Mt. Davis down to size by bushwhacking from the Dry River Trail to a point on the Davis Path just a bit south of the spur trail to Mt. Davis. The whack plus the on-trail hiking distance worked out to a round-trip journey of just over 10 miles . . . a very doable day-hike!

Also, I talked with a hiker who had done my proposed trek, and he indicated that the whack was relatively easy. However, he cautioned that his whack was prior to the ’98 ice storm and there was a possibility that I could encounter a jumble of blowdowns on the way up IF the ice storm had played havoc there.

So, after laying out a route and gathering background information from a fellow-whacker, I eagerly awaited a day when I felt that the Dry River might be forded SAFELY! Yesterday was the big day!

The Journey:
I arrived at the crossing point of the Dry River about 45 minutes from leaving the trailhead on Route 302. I gazed longingly at the storm-damaged suspension bridge. From all outward appearances, it’s difficult to understand what’s wrong with it, and therefore it’s so tempting to use it rather than fording the river.
BridgeSign.JPG
Bridge.JPG

However, not having $5,000 to blow on a fine, nor wanting to spend 6 months in jail, nor wanting to “fall” victim to possible personal injury . . . I did NOT use the bridge to cross the river.

After the time-consuming process of fording the river, it took just under an hour to arrive at the point to begin the westward whack from the Dry River Trail to the Davis Path. The whack began from the back of a tentsite about 0.6 miles from the Mt. Clinton Trail junction. Using TOPO software, I calculated that the whacking distance between the Dry River Trail and the Davis Path should be about 1.1 miles. It took just under 2 hours to whack this distance. Fortunately, I did not encounter massive blowdowns from the ’98 ice-storm, but did encounter lots of nasty hobble-bush.

After arriving at the Davis Path, it took about 20 minutes for the short trek to the summit of Mt. Davis.

THE BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: I was sitting atop Mt. Davis just a tad over 4 hours from leaving the Route 302 trailhead!! Take that Mt. Davis . . . you’ve been cut down to size!! (And, if the suspension bridge was useable, the total time to the Davis summit might even be well under 4 hours.)
MtDavisSummit.JPG

Some More Summit Photos & Map:
The 360 degree views from Mt. Davis are impressive!
I won’t bore you with tons of photos, but here are two.

This snapshot is looking at (3 guesses, and the first 2 don’t count) . . . yes Mt. Washington!
MtWashintonVu2.JPG

This photo below sort of encapsulates the myriad of “purple mountain majesties” views from Mt. Davis.
PurpleMtnMajesties.JPG

And lastly, the red line on the map below shows the bushwhack portion of my trek.
DavisTrek.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
NICE!! Now if we can only cut Isolation down to a four hour trip, my son gazed ohh so longing at it as we trudged endlessly around it the day after you did this one...that trail report is coming!

ctsparrow

Great TR. And, you answered some questions I had regarding that area. Thanks!!

RoySwkr said:
Did you run an actual GPS track?
Thought about it, but I did not run a GPS track. The map included in my posting was what I used for trip-planning. If I had run a GPS track, it probably would’ve closely followed the red line shown on the map since I pretty much stayed true to the same bearing for the entire trek. Hope this helps!?

1HappyHiker said:
Thought about it, but I did not run a GPS track. The map included in my posting was what I used for trip-planning. If I had run a GPS track, it probably would’ve closely followed the red line shown on the map since I pretty much stayed true to the same bearing for the entire trek. Hope this helps!?

Thanks for the fine trip report and photos, 1HappyHiker.

I think that Roy's question is whether you hiked as far north as the 3819' knob, which a lot of us think is well beyond the end of the side trail that tops out on the more southerly knob with the cairn. Even after reading the earlier VFTT posting in Roy's link, I am not sure myself which knob is which, despite having spent a fair bit of time in the area with Steve Smith when we maintained that section of the Davis Path under the auspices of the Four Thousand Footer Club in the 1990s (i.e., I have not used a GPS to check). But, I would probably risk the $5000 fine by using the condemned bridge. :D

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Thanks for the fine trip report and photos, 1HappyHiker.

I think that Roy's question is whether you hiked as far north as the 3819' knob, which a lot of us think is well beyond the end of the side trail that tops out on the more southerly knob with the cairn. Even after reading the earlier VFTT posting in Roy's link, I am not sure myself which knob is which, despite having spent a fair bit of time in the area with Steve Smith when we maintained that section of the Davis Path under the auspices of the Four Thousand Footer Club in the 1990s
Thanks for the clarification about Roy’s question . . . no, I didn’t hike further north to the 3819’ knob . . . was content to enjoy the gorgeous day and just hang out at the knob with the cairn!
Just a curiosity question . . . is there a summit canister at the 3819’ knob?

Impressive!!!!

not sure what i'm more impressed with.. the whack or the trip report- you are taking your craft to a new level- do I see a book in the future?

zman said:
not sure what i'm more impressed with.. the whack or the trip report- you are taking your craft to a new level- do I see a book in the future?
Thanks for the kudos, BUT . . . a book? Hey! I’m just out there hiking for the pure fun of it. You know, as in “1HappyHiker”!!

no canister on any bumps/ledges, not even a cairn on 3819 (North) bump--there is a small cairn seemingly randomly placed "below" the 3819 bump and a bit toward the south bump.......while anything is possible, i am not sure whythe questions as to whether the the 3819 bump is the summit--i was on and looked pretty carefully at a lot of bumps while there earlier this year and it (North/3819) seems clearly the highest and my GPS waypoint for the 3819 summit from the topo matched exactly "on the ground" with the north bump

jim

Last edited:
"The bridge is scheduled to be replaced in late summer/fall 2008." from WMNF Bridge Status web page. So hopefully soon. However I think they have delayed repairs past their schedule before, so it wouldn't be too surprising if it is not fixed by this fall.

Now that's funny, I was just there yesterday :D Started from the Jericho Rd, went up as far as North Isolation and came down the Rocky Branch Trail (suck !)

Having not really planned anything, I was surprised to see I had to whack my way up the north bump...Is it only me but the north bump does seem lower than the south one :confused: