Windblown XC Center hit hard by 12/13 ice storm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
This news just came to me via email and I thought it might be of interest to VFTT folks in eastern MA and southern NH. Windblown XC Ski Center in New Ipswich, New Hampshire has been hit hard by the recent ice storm. It now appears they won't be able to open up this season. Here is the first posting on their ski conditions page:

"Friday 12/13/08

Dear Skiers and Snowshoers,

Returning to our beautiful hilltop homesite today, I felt like Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind" coming home to Tara from the war, passing burned out plantations and a devastated landscape. Nature, not human passions provided the destructive power this time. An inch and a half of ice has brought down uncountable numbers of trees, filling trails with impassible amounts of debris, downing power lines, and damaging buildings. It is difficult to assess the total amount of damage because of the danger of falling ice and tree limbs. From what I can see from our house to the Warming Hut and the Ski Shop, it is ten times the damage caused by the great ice storm of 1998. Cleaning up will be costly and time consuming. I do not know when or if we will be open this season. In twenty-four hours our trails went from being the best ever to being the worst ever. "

More recent posting follows:

12/19/08

"Windblown now has a business cell phone that will be good for at least a month or two, until we get our land line service back. You can call for updates or to leave us a message.

603-801-1153

We are currently looking for 15 volunteers to help with some clearing tomorrow - Saturday December 20th, starting at 8 am. If you can help, please call our new cell phone number above. If I do not answer personally, please do not leave a message and just show up - we really only want 15 people for tomorrow. Try again if you want or wait for our next request for volunteers. Thank you for understanding.

If you have a Warming Hut Reservation please call us to let us know if you plan to come or not. We are clearing the trail from the Ski Shop to the Warming Hut so your reservations are good and your deposits are still non-refundable.

Your response to Al's message (below) is astonishing! And so heart warming. It seems like all of you would make up an army of volunteers. And we so appreciate your offers. This is a bigger job than you can imagine. We are arranging to bring in big logging machinery to clear the trails. After they have gone through, we probably will take you up on your offers to help with the finer work. It won't be for several weeks though. We'll keep you posted here.

We expect to be out of power and phone and internet for several weeks still. I expect to occasionally travel with my laptop to where I can get internet service and receive emails. You are welcome to send us messages so long as you don't require a response. email Al and Irene

We'll keep in touch as we know and decide more.

We send our best holiday wishes to all of you,

Irene Jenks"

Link to page and full text is here is here:

http://www.windblownxc.com/Pages/conditions.html

Those of you who live in the area and have an interest in clearing some trails might consider heading over to Windblown to lend a hand. I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:
That is tough when bad things happen to good people

I met Al and Irene at galehead 10/07 and enjoyed a quiet conversation with them on just a beautiful evening..(only five at the hut that night)...I was struck by their passion...for each other and for their chosen business

they are good folks

and i know they will find their way through this mess....

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for posting. Windblown is one of my favorite places and I was planning a big outing there for a weekend in January. Perhaps I will be volunteering at that time instead.

I got that email too and was so sad to hear they might not be opening. After checking the page today, they will be opening Dec. 26 with limited trails at a reduced rate. So I guess there's hope for skiing there this winter after all.

After reading it I am wondering how bad the hiking trails in southern NH and MA are? The Wapack Trail goes right through Windblown and it is a real nice trail. Makes me wonder if some not so well traved trails won't be back.