Grivel G10 or Microspikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Has anyone come up with a better substance than shoe goo to keep the screws in? I'm thinking that super glue would be too brittle. I may try the new "rubberized" super glue that I've seen at the hardware store.

I would suggest "Gorilla Glue", and maybe that's what you're referring to. You can get it at Home Depot. I got a knockoff made by Borden - looks like the same stuff, different bottle, but less pricey. On the right materials, it's amazing stuff.

As for crampon brands - personally, I'd stay away from brands like Camp and Astri Alpin, and stick with Grivel, BD and Petzel. Those two are lightweight and tend to be less expensive, but they're prone to failure. And there's rarely a GOOD time for a crampon to fail.

Last edited:
Thanks again, confirmed what I was thinking about the cheaper crampons.

As for the stabilicers, I have some gorrilla glue(if it hasn't hardened in the bottle) and that will be included in the next test. I've learned to only use a dab due to the foaming action. But I may do a head to head test with GG on one and this Loctite Ruber Toughened Super Glue on the other. I'll post the results.

G10's

I have G10's and microspikes as well as a few other pairs of crampons.

If I could only get one set of traction I would get G10's. The G10's will take me anywhere the microspikes could, maybe not as comfortably on my feet, but I could get there safely.

On the other hand, microspikes will be useless if I need to front point a few moves on hard ice, which might be necessary heading up Monadnock or a few other ledge slopes.

But I may do a head to head test with GG on one and this Loctite Ruber Toughened Super Glue on the other. I'll post the results.

Thanks for the tip on Loctite - looks like I need to get some.

Please post the results. My hunch is the Loctite may work better where there's considerable flexing. Gorilla Glue is good stuff, but I don't think it can stand much flexing - it seems brittle. Having said that - I've had pretty good luck gluing the rand on hiking boots with Gorilla Glue - much better than with Barge.

also you mentioned no longer having confidence in your Stabilicers when you're up on the roof. I don't think G10s would be a good idea on your roof. Microspikes would probably be okay. (be careful up there!)

They are all a bad idea on a roof. if there is enough snow to shovel then thats(snow) all the traction aid you need.

My roof has a steep pitch and is prone to ice dams. I have had a few very close calls and one swan dive. The stabilicers really come in handy for this, when they have screws in them.

My roof has a steep pitch and is prone to ice dams. I have had a few very close calls and one swan dive. The stabilicers really come in handy for this, when they have screws in them.
Maybe you could set up a few ropes and clip ins! Make an adventure out of it, I'd fall just short of using an ice ax though!;) Unless you need a good excuse for a sun panel or a hookup spot for an NFL sat dish.;)

Our roof generally has a layer ice under the snow on very cold days and that is when I use the stabilicers. I would never use anything more agressive. I am very careful with brittle shingles as I re-roofed my house recently and it is certainly not a job that I want to do again soon!!:eek: Heading out soon to do the stabilicer glue test.

Holiday on Ice!

3screws_3437.jpg

Left to Right: Holiday 3/4" Ice Racing Screw, Klymaxx 3/4" Carbide Stud, Kold Kutter 1/2" Ice Racing Screw

I've been having very good luck with the Holiday screws staying put, without glue, but you need a sole that can take the 3/4" length. The beefy, large diameter thread does a good job in preventing screw loss, and the tall heads are a plus on less-than-smooth ice. I use the Holidays in the heel and mid-section of the boot, and the Kold Kutters in the forefoot where the sole is thinnner. I get about 30 miles or so per set of screws, more in pure ice and snow conditions, and less when more rocks are on the menu.

I am experimenting with the Klymaxx carbides, which don't seem to show any wear in comparison to the screws, but these I am using Gorilla Glue to secure, as the threads are pretty small in diameter. They are also about $1 each!

The only source I know for the Holidays is "AllSport Performance", in Bangor, Maine, who can be found on Ebay.

Edit: Just discovered a new kid on the block at MF44. Once again, the Canadians are out in front!

I would imagine that they grip like a "MF-er".

Last edited:
Test #1 - Couldn't find the Loctite glue but found this Gorilla Super Glue that is also has a ruber additive. All NH EMS stores are out of replacement Stabilicer screws so I had to use some hardware screws to suppliment the remaining Stabilicer screws.
The Wapack Trail up South Pack was a mix of bare rock, ice and snow. Ran down the auto road which was ice and some bare pavement to test higher impact strength.

Results: None of the newly super glued screws, even the thiner finely threaded hardware ones moved at all!! One shoe gooed screw was gone and two others were trying hard to escape.

I'm really impressed with the super glue as I thought that the frequent uneven rock contact would take its toll.
Now I have the confidence to super glue all the screws and test on something longer and higher.

After taking hikes in the winter since 1992, I have yet felt I needed additional traction other than being careful unless I needed crampons. (For the past several years G-12's in many cases for winter trail walking - mountaineering overkill)

Maybe part of this is that I wear plastic boots or heavy leather mountaineering boots & can kick some type of step into most hard packed trails or glissade slickened trails (if steep enough for that ) or scamper across small icy patches on flatter terrain. Would I need something else if I had a pair of the softer insulated winter boots that are popular these days, maybe.

If I had to buy one set of traction gear now, I'd buy crampons.

Snowshoes also can be used as a traction device since they have a cleat. So between snowshoes & crampons I just don't see a need for a third option. When I worked for a gear retailer (10 years ago), we only thought the YT's would be okay for getting you mail. that may not be said these days as they prefer selling them.

Last edited: