Hale thru the Backdoor (Fire Warden Trail on 04-Jan-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
It’s always kinda fun to use the 7 Dwarfs “trailhead” a few times each winter for mild-mannered treks up to Hale via the Fire Warden Trail, or for more aggressive & time-consuming treks up to the Twins via the North Twin Trail. Since we had time limitations for today, Zman & I opted for the less time consuming and certainly less rigorous trek to Mt. Hale.

After paying our “dues” to Franz at 7 Dwarfs, Zman & I began our trek to the North Twin trailhead via the short hike on the snowmobile trail, and then onto the trail through the woods that follows the old railway grade. Upon arriving at the bridge on Haystack Road that crosses the Little River, we noted the brilliant green color of the water. Is it just me or is the “winter-color” of the water in some of the brooks & rivers quite different this year?
100_0650.JPG

We arrived at the first crossing of the Little River in just under an hour from the time that we left the 7 Dwarfs. Even with the frigid temperatures, it appeared to us that the Little River was insufficiently frozen for a safe crossing. Regardless, our plan for the day did not involve a river crossing and so we didn’t have to worry about it. So after taking a few photos (and movies) of the river crossing, we were on our way to the “trailhead” for the Fire Warden Trail via the bootleg trail along the east bank of the Little River. (A photo and a short movie of the river crossing can be seen under the Q&A Forum.)

The Fire Warden Trail was broken out via a combination of backcountry skiers and folks on snowshoes. As might be expected, at the higher elevations the drifting snow had obliterated all traces of foot traffic. But as anyone knows who has travelled the Fire Warden Trail, the trail is very well defined and therefore easy to follow even without the benefit of tracks to follow.

For whatever reason, my “tank was empty” at the beginning of our climb up the Fire Warden Trail. Zman had to go at a snail’s pace in order for me to keep up. Then, something happened. Hopefully, this won’t gross anyone out, but I let out a huge belch. And then, other than terrifying every woodland critter within earshot, everything was OK! My usual energy level returned and all was right with the world again! Go figure!

As we progressed up the trail, the winter scenery became increasingly beautiful. Below are two photos that show just a sampling of the winter splendor that we witnessed.
100_0656.JPG

100_0660.JPG

Due primarily to my initial pokiness at the beginning of our hike, it took us a bit over 3.5 hours to reach the summit. Upon our arrival, there was some intermittent blue sky. But more importantly, there was very little wind which enabled us to have an enjoyable and leisurely lunch on the mountaintop.
100_0662.JPG

After our laid-back lunch we began to retrace our steps back down the mountain. As we approached that spot on the Fire Warden Trail where you get that northeast view of the Presidentials we hoped there might indeed be some views. We had none on the way up. There is a sailing term that comes to mind which is “becalmed” (i.e. rendered motionless for lack of wind). We were rendered viewless for lack of clear sky.

But, as we stood at this spot, every once in awhile the tops of the Prezies would come into view. We laughed our butts off trying to capture a photo of the “now you see them, now you don’t” Prezies. They would appear and disappear, literally in the wink of an eye. Below is the best shot I got, but maybe Zman managed to get something better.
100_0664.JPG

The only other thing of semi-noteworthiness that we encountered on the way down was to spot an old “telephone pole” along the trail. This obviously must have been part of the infrastructure associated with the fire tower that once stood on Mt. Hale.
100_0667.JPG

So overall, Zman & I had a great trek up to Mt. Hale, and as an added bonus, Zman was able to check off this summit on his “Winter 48” list.

1HappyHiker

Great report as usual, John! Out of curiosity, what is the one-way mileage from parking to summit via that route?

but I let out a huge belch. And then, other than terrifying every woodland critter within earshot, everything was OK!

It was the belch heard round the world- fortunately I was downwind!!!!!

A great day in the woods- BTW- does anyone know why the water looks so green??? Radioactive pollution? Something about the weird magnetic field on Hale? Maybe it's the Bethlehem dump?

1Happyhiker- Thanks for always writing the great trip reports!!

Great report as usual, John! Out of curiosity, what is the one-way mileage from parking to summit via that route?
Jeremy, there have been some VFTT folks who have posted some much more precise calculations than mine, but I’m unable to locate the thread(s).

So, for what it’s worth, I roughly calculate that the one way mileage from parking lot to summit via this route is about 3.75 miles.

Maybe you can locate the thread(s) with the more precise calculations, or maybe the author(s) of these calculations will chime in.

Hi Rocket,
Funny you should ask since, on our hike, John randomly mentioned that you might want to check out the FW trail- I ran a GPS track (I routinely do this for bushwhacks, herd paths and sort of lost tails) and came up with about 4.26 miles one way- Don’t know what the mileage is for than the Halebrook trail but the back way up is MUCH more scenic and peaceful

Marty

I roughly calculate that the one way mileage from parking lot to summit via this route is about 3.75 miles.

Maybe you can locate the thread(s) with the more precise calculations, or maybe the author(s) of these calculations will chime in.

Hey John- I think my track is pretty accurate and is about .5 miles off of what you are guestimating

Thank you for that information, guys! It sounds a heck of a lot more appealing than doing the Zealand Road walk to Hale Brook! I was hoping to check it out this past fall, but never made it. Perhaps this winter!

Thank you for that information, guys! It sounds a heck of a lot more appealing than doing the Zealand Road walk to Hale Brook! I was hoping to check it out this past fall, but never made it. Perhaps this winter!
No comparison ... Road walk plus Hale Brook is great if you just want to bag the peak (much more likely to be broken out), but Firewarden on a nice day is a winter wonderland.

Sun shining through wide open hardwoods on a beautiful winter day ... life does not get much better :)

But as anyone knows who has travelled the Fire Warden Trail, the trail is very well defined and therefore easy to follow even without the benefit of tracks to follow.
The trail itself is well defined once you are on it, but finding where it starts requires some care. I would say that most people would be unlikely to find it (if unbroken) unless they knew where it starts.

Even though I know it well I missed it once or twice, and had to backtrack. Most embarrassing :eek:

Just read this post by chipc:
A couple of weeks back I decided to try the Firewarden's Trail for the first time (along with the complete loop described above). I was solo and my finding the start relied solely on what I had pieced together from various web references. After almost three passes between the two river crossings and one wrong start I was about to give up and go to N. Twin directly. Then, like in one of those video games where the hidden door opens up, there was the fairly obvious start of the trail.

Last edited:
I found it on my first try, in summer. I don't know if I was just lucky or what. It appears that it parallels the North Twin Trail for a bit - you can see an incline, but level, pathway just uphill. It would seem, therefore, one could just head away from the river, perpendicular to the trail, and intercept it.

To be fair, on the return trip I didn't see it, but I didn't need to either and wasn't looking all that intently.

I'll say this - when you've found it, you know you've found it.

Tim

Back in September of 2007 a group of us went right past the entrance to that trail and ended up just bushwacking up the side of Mt. Hale. I wish I could figure out how to link to other posts on this site, there's a TR for it. Made my first trip up Hale quite memorable. :)

Upon arriving at the bridge on Haystack Road that crosses the Little River, we noted the brilliant green color of the water. Is it just me or is the “winter-color” of the water in some of the brooks & rivers quite different this year?

The colors of the ice and water in 19 Mile Brook were absolutely spectacular on 1/2. I was really wishing I hadn't misplaced my camera.

Upon arriving at the bridge on Haystack Road that crosses the Little River, we noted the brilliant green color of the water. Is it just me or is the “winter-color” of the water in some of the brooks & rivers quite different this year?
It is just you... :)

Actually, I've seen that green water a number of times. The percept is probably caused by the lighting and the contrast with the ice.

Doug

It is just you... :)

Actually, I've seen that green water a number of times. The percept is probably caused by the lighting and the contrast with the ice.

Doug
Thanks Doug! I sort of suspected my observation might be related to my “newbie-ness” (if there is such a word). This is only my 4th winter in the Whites . . . just didn’t recall seeing such an intense “winter-green” color in the brooks & rivers in my other 3 winters. Thanks again for your response!

Nothing like a good belch to get things back in perspective

nice Tr John on a nice trail..last followed 1.08..I tried to get my OTHH group up this way last year but they opted for the shorter and more boring Hale Brook Trail...beautiful woods along Firewardens..

The trail itself is well defined once you are on it, but finding where it starts requires some care. I would say that most people would be unlikely to find it (if unbroken) unless they knew where it starts.

Even though I know it well I missed it once or twice, and had to backtrack. Most embarrassing :eek:

Just read this post by chipc:
Chipc found the trail (with difficulty); another poster failed to find it.

Excellent TR and pics!

My first search for the FT was easy; At the first crossing, don't cross. Herd paths exist on both banks near river crossings just about everywhere. Sure enough, I just followed them until they meet the old grade. They aren't obvious in winter, but if you just stay on the bank you'll bump into the old rail bed grade.

John, you've got me thinking of the color of mountain rivers in winter with your last few TRs. I'm now planning on it for the subject of a photograph.

happy trails :)

John, you've got me thinking of the color of mountain rivers in winter with your last few TRs. I'm now planning on it for the subject of a photograph.
I hope you will share your photos of the mountain rivers in winter. The brilliant colors of the mountain rivers in winter are such a stark contrast against the surrounding white snow on the banks of the brooks & rivers. With your skills, this should make for some stunning photos!
My first search for the FT was easy; At the first crossing, don't cross. Herd paths exist on both banks near river crossings just about everywhere. Sure enough, I just followed them until they meet the old grade. They aren't obvious in winter, but if you just stay on the bank you'll bump into the old rail bed grade.
Your description is right on the money! Here’s just a bit of supplemental info for anyone who might be interested.

The Fire Warden Trail branches off to the east from the bootleg trail (an obvious trail that begins at the first crossing and runs along the east bank of the Little River). The “trail” junction with the Fire Warden Trail occurs after about a 10 minute trek (depending upon hiking speed) along the bootleg trail.

In winter it should be less of a problem finding it since there’s frequently evidence of foot traffic diverging from the bootleg trail onto the Fire Warden Trail. But, if you happen to go after a recent snow (or when there’s no snow), here’s what works for me in terms of finding it. As you trek along the bootleg trail, the high bank to your left begins to diminish in size. Once the bank is at about hip level, then begin to look for evidence of the Fire Warden Trail. You need to go up the "hip-high" bank to get onto the trail. Then, once on the trail, you’ll be going back in the direction that you just came from for just a bit. I know this seems counterintuitive, but the trail eventually heads off in the direction of Mt. Hale.