North Twin and the Seven Dwarfs (NH), 01/17/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
North Twin Mountain via North Twin Trail, 01/17/09

Since there have been a lot of questions regarding how to get to the North Twin Trail in winter and since I find the available maps to be inadequate, I took some photos today to hopefully make it easier for y'all. Thank you to una_dogger for relaying directions from 1HappyHiker, and to Franz for drawing me a custom map!

After looking at North Twin from South Twin last weekend and wishing there was a little bit more daylight to permit a visit, I decided to go for it on a very cold day. According to Wunderground, perhaps the most reliable weather source in the world, it was about -25 when I started from the 7 Dwarfs Motel on Little River Road.

sevendwarfs1.jpg

I paid my $6 and ended up having an almost half hour conversation with Franz (not to be confused with the Fonz) - having both run motels, we had a lot of horror stories to share!

Compared to the $3 or whatever it is to park at random WMNF fee area that at best has a disgusting toilet pit of some sort, the $6 for a nicely plowed parking spot, warm place to gear up, clean bathroom, reasonably priced refreshments, and very friendly hosts (who will even draw you a map of how to get to the trailhead) is well worth it.

The Franz asks that hikers please keep dogs and Yankee fans on leash until they cross the river, as he has livestock nearby. The Rocket asks that hikers please push Yankee fans into the river.

The road to the bridge is between these two rocks, maybe a hundred feet up Little River Road, past the office:
sevendwarfs2.jpg

The bridge over the Little River (Snowmobile Corridor 11N):
sevendwarfs3.jpg

Take an immediate left after crossing the bridge, onto the Corridor 11 Bypass:
sevendwarfs4.jpg

Following the river, you'll see this when looking to your left after a little while - the closed bridge (made famous by Simon and Garfunkel's "Troubled Bridge over Water") is to the left of that yellow posted sign, and to the right of it is the more direct herd path that skiers use to get to the North Twin Trail:
sevendwarfs5.jpg

Assuming you stay on the snowmobile trail (bearing right instead of going left to the closed bridge), you will soon find out what happened to the Partridge Family after their show was cancelled...
sevendwarfs6.jpg

The snowmobile trail meanders around a little bit, and eventually arrives at the gate of destiny:
sevendwarfs7.jpg

Take a left beyond the gate onto Haystack Road, and you'll be at the North Twin Trail trailhead a few minutes later (the previously mentioned skier herd path joins Haystack Road just before the bridge that's adjacent to the summer parking lot).

Last edited:
The first water crossing was doable if you went about 100 feet upstream:
sevendwarfs8.jpg

I chose the skip the water crossings and instead followed the herd path. About halfway between the water crossings, I saw skier tracks going uphill to the left. Gee, I wonder what this is.
sevendwarfs9.jpg

I suspect they go to the top of a mountain named after the actor who played The Skipper on Gilligan's Island.

The second water crossing:
sevendwarfs10.jpg

And numero tres:
sevendwarfs11.jpg

Up high, the trail was quite drifted. With no established trailbed and very few blazes, its helpful to know the trail ahead of time:
sevendwarfs12.jpg

It was a bit cloudy up high. Here's what it looks like when you depart the lower viewpoint and head toward the summit:
sevendwarfs13.jpg

And of course, from near the summit, you get a view of everyone's two favorite 4,000ers, Galehead and Owl's Head:
northtwinmtnsummit-2009-0117a.jpg

When we were up there last winter the partridge family was having a cookout...
it looked like fun..but

it was a good day to hike and we didn't linger....:)

great step by step photo journal...

Last edited:
Rocket21 said:
. . . you will soon find out what happened to the Partridge Family after their show was cancelled...
Jeremy, just want to let you know that Shirley Jones, Danny Bonaduce, Susan Dey, David Cassidy and the rest of the Partridge Family thank you for locating their bus. Oh! And they want to know what they owe Franz for over 30 years of storage?

Great report . . . you done good!

With a name like Rocket21, why on earth would you want to push Yankee fans in the river. Seems like some of the Rocket's best steroid years came as a Yankee.

First, dancing a Cosby dance without a Cosby sweater on Cannon, and now this? I'm getting confused.

Sweet! I'm lovin' these new photo infused trail guides!

Sorry I couldn't make it. Next time, I'll bake extra cookies.

:)

There will be a couple people we know who will be very happy with your work when they hike the Twins tommorrow.

:D

With a name like Rocket21, why on earth would you want to push Yankee fans in the river. Seems like some of the Rocket's best steroid years came as a Yankee.

First, dancing a Cosby dance without a Cosby sweater on Cannon, and now this? I'm getting confused.

The Rocket21 nickname predates the act of treason. :)

The Rocket21 nickname predates the act of treason. :)

Understood, but the treason is so great perhaps you should consider a name change. There are plenty to choose from:
  • Greg Brady
  • Bo or Luke Duke
  • Rubin Kincade
  • George Jefferson
  • Rerun
  • Schultz
  • Dan Tanner
  • Or any other old television name will do.

Anything but the blasphemous Rocket. Heck, even something not so nostalgic. How about "Brian MacNamee"? "Dan Duquette"?

Jeremy, you are too good a guy to wander the mean streets and back alleys of dangerous Tamworth with such a handle.

Jeremy, just want to let you know that Shirley Jones, Danny Bonaduce, Susan Dey, David Cassidy and the rest of the Partridge Family thank you for locating their bus.

Wow, John, I never knew you were such a big Partidge Family fan! What else haven't you told us?!? :)

Wow, John, I never knew you were such a big Partidge Family fan! What else haven't you told us?!? :)
Have I ever mentioned my 8 Olympic gold medals, plus the bridge in Brooklyn that I own and am willing to sell to any interested buyers (cash only!)?:rolleyes:

Your TRs, spontaneous trail clean-up, and trailbreaking efforts are absolutely outstanding. You truly rock.

Wow, thank you! Can I introduce you to my parole officer? This character reference could go a long way in getting the ankle bracelet removed. :)

I enjoyed your travelogue with its interesting historical notes. And thanks for the picture from North Twin's summit. When I was there, there was no visibility.
I especially appreciate your ability and willingness to deal with a camera in such cold temps!

Last edited:
Photo journalism is in your future.

If it pays better than sitting behind a computer all day, and allows me to hike then, as said in the AARP supplemental health care commercial, sign me up!

I especially appreciate your ability and willingness to deal with a camera in such cold temps!

I'm glad I could help document the route. Generally, with the exception of wicked nasty days, taking photos in the cold temps doesn't bother me at all - as compared to standing in the cold wind for 30 minutes taking sunset photos!

The true reason...

you won't wear a kilt. Yet.

"This character reference could go a long way in getting the ankle bracelet removed."

Thick wool socks with tassels would cover the bracelet, though!

KDT