VFTT peak list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
How about a new list?

VFTT (360?) (New England peaks? Or Northeast peaks?)
Rules: Must have an unobstructed 360 degree view (no towers or trees to climb)
Must be a named peak
Must be climbed on a clear day to capture the view

Edited to post the updated list and clarified rules: (additions and corrections welcome)

New Hampshire: (44)
North Percy, Madison, Adams, Sam Adams, JQ Adams, Adams 4, Adams 5, Jefferson, Clay, Monroe, Franklin, Eisenhower, Boott Spur, Slide Peak, Isolation, Davis, South Twin, Guyot, West Bond, Bond, Bondcliff, Garfield, The Nubble, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Crawford, Moosilauke, North Moat, Middle Moat, South Moat, Hight, North Baldface, South Baldface, Eagle Crag, Chocorua, Middle Sugarloaf, First Sister, Welch Mt., Mt. Kearsarge, Mt. Major, Little Blue Job, Monadnock

Maine: (36)
Kahtadin, Hamlin, North Brother, South Brother, Fort, Coe, Doubletop (2), North Traveler, Traveler, Peak of Ridges, South Turner (Baxter), Howe peaks on Katahdin, Sugarloaf , Bigelow West Peak, Bigelow South Horn, Baldpate, Saddleback, Saddleback Horn, Abraham, The Owl, Barren, Boundary Bald , Moxie, Moxie Bald, Kinneo, Sunday River Whitecap, Tumbledown, Low Aziscohos, Little Jackson, Goose Eye, Mt. Desert, Dorr, Champlain, Sargent, Rumford Whitecap, Caribou

Vermont: (4)
Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield, Hunger

New York: (23)
Cascade, Gothics, Skylight, Marcy, Haystack, Algonquin, Basin, Dix, Gray, Iroquois, Hurricane, Mt Jo, Noonmark, Skylight, Lyon, Catamount, Jay Range, Giant, Hadley Mt, Rocky Peak Ridge, Wright Peak, Boundary

Rules:
Must have an unobstructed 360 degree view (no towers or trees to climb)
Must be a named peak
Must be climbed on a clear day to capture the view
Added to the original suggested rules:
I would suggest peaks at least 1000 ft. elevation, 360 view would be unobstructed to at least the next named peak or named feature such as a lake or ocean and should be from one spot on the summit not from moving to different points on the summit. (If there is tower on the summit that does not obstruct the view, i.e. you can move your head to see around it then I think it should count. The same should go for a tree. But if you have to move other then in a circle to get the view then it is obstructed. In a circle means turning while standing in one spot.)
I will add that they can be done by any means legally available. Most will prefer to hike on foot but if you want to parachute to the summit and use a sled to descend it that is fine. But it must be on a clear day.
Clouds are view, too, especially when you can lay back and watch images take shape. And while it is a special treat to summit when everything below you is in the clouds, and you feel like you’re on an island, I think you owe it to yourself to return on a clear day. The spirit of the list is not to cheat yourself out of the view that can be had. So you can ascend and descend in whatever the weather but getting a clear 360 is the goal (wait however long you want) while on the summit. And if you can string together several summits under clear skies all the better.

Snowcover?
If the summit is naturally elevated by snow (not man-made pile) and you get a 360 that is a bonus peak because often the open summits don’t accumulate much buildup due to wind. Obviously they can’t be listed as each winter may be different thus unpredictable.
You’ll have to post your pictures for evidence (or have signed documentation by at least two witnesses.)

Last edited:
Great idea!

MA:
Buck Hill I believe had a 360 degree view (Blue Hills Range)

ME:
Caribou

Maine:
Sugarloaf (I think you can see over the sugar shack)
Bigelows (2)
Baldpate
Saddleback
Horn ?
Abraham

in Baxter St. Park
Katahdin
Hamlin
The Owl
Barren
North Brother
South Brother ?
Fort
Doubletop (2)
Traveler (3)

Off the beaten path
Boundary Bald (stand on peak to see over the comm. bldg)
Moxie
Moxie Bald
Kinneo

Spencer, Onestep, others can probably add plenty more.

Maybe just start with the 52 with a view list and go from there.

Why do you not want to count firetowers if looking for 360 views?:confused:

Minimum height?
I don't see a minimum height as an issue- adds much more to the variety.

Maybe just start with the 52 with a view list and go from there.
Why do you not want to count firetowers if looking for 360 views?:confused:
52 WAV is not 360, some barely have a view such as Paugus, which the true summit has none.

I didn’t add Mt. Major at first but as I confirmed this morning it does have a 360 but growth may change that in a few years.

I even can envision the patch – round with the four compass points and VFTT in the center.

Because it's a very different feeling standing on Carrigain or Cannon compared to Moosilauke or Adams. :)
I don't agree, but that's fine. Some of the open summits are natural, some are not.

Carol, w/o a minimum height/col, you can pretty much go to any farmer's field and call it a mountain! :D

If height doesn't matter, Piper in the Belknaps would count.

Can the list top out at 360 peaks with a 360 degree view?

I don't agree, but that's fine. Some of the open summits are natural, some are not.

Carol, w/o a minimum height/col, you can pretty much go to any farmer's field and call it a mountain! :D

(Carole) Original rule is 'peak' with a name.
If height doesn't matter, Piper in the Belknaps would count.

Can the list top out at 360 peaks with a 360 degree view?
I don’t recall Piper being 360 (nor Crawford for that matter). Pictures may help. I don’t envision a number so much as a 360 view on the day one summits.

All the Horns: both peaks in Maine and the one in the Kilkenny.