VFTT peak list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not establish a prominence requirement (say 200 or 300 feet) but allow any elevation? :)

Why not establish a prominence requirement (say 200 or 300 feet) but allow any elevation? :)

If this list gets too long, frankly I would not be interested. I think the sucess of such lists is based on how achievable it is within a certain timeframe. I think a prominence requirement is a great idea. Another perhaps would be that it would need an established trail.

I don't agree re: the Horn on the Kilkenny Ridge (Pilot Range). No view northward. I remember Isolation being rather obstructed to the south, as well. (I remember Davis was much better.)

This reminds me of Mt Hale: sure it's a 360 view, if you're looking upward a little :) A rule that would distinguish Hale from peaks with unimportant low scrub: you (standardized human: eyes no more than 2 meters above the ground) must be able to see the horizon (the visible horizon, meaning mountaintops, not an abstract sea-level horizon) for 360 degrees when standing on the highest point.

Might consider adding a "one tree rule" for peaks that almost qualify except for one pesky tree -- guess it depends how big the tree is, not sure how to resolve that...

Last edited:
Maine:
Sugarloaf (I think you can see over the sugar shack)
Saddleback
Horn ?

The Horn and Saddleback have excellent views and are unobstructed. You can see over the sugar shack on Sugarloaf. However, you can't see over the giant radio tower. They broadcast the "Mountain of Rock" radio station from that tower.

Here is a ~350 degree panorama I took from the top of the summit cairn. The missing section is the radio tower. (linked because the photo is over 18000x2200 pixels).

If this list gets too long, frankly I would not be interested. I think the sucess of such lists is based on how achievable it is within a certain timeframe. I think a prominence requirement is a great idea. Another perhaps would be that it would need an established trail.

Tough crowd, but why am I not surprised. :rolleyes: I don’t see prominence nor an established trail as necessary. Are there any named peaks with a 360 view without an established trail?

I left off Mt. Washington because I think there are buildings in the way of the view, IIRC. But I would add Slide Peak and Boott Spur.

I swore off lists a while ago and if this ever got off the ground I would probably never seek to finish it, but would seek out those closer to home. Most I have named, and some that others have named, I have been on - on a clear day. Isn’t that what we save the best for, or pass up one on a bad day to save for a good day? The best of the best is the way I see it. :)

Might consider adding a "one tree rule" for peaks that almost qualify except for one pesky tree -- guess it depends how big the tree is, not sure how to resolve that...

Well, rules is rules ... cut the damn tree down :eek:

I'm sure someone (probably someone with a full time job doin' it while on the clock :)) is making a spreadsheet of all these nominations, along with status of trails, towers, elevations and maybe even that one damned tree. Since this is Carole's list, she gets to make the rules but it seems fair to lobby her, or better yet, nag her about them.

... can't wait to see the patch and t-shirts ...

... can't wait to see the patch and t-shirts ...

Just to add some drama to the discussion...

There is a VFTT patch and associated list in the works. Has been for a while (discussions started by a campfire many years ago). The list is still under development and the exact requirements will not be made public until I complete the list...ensuring that I get the coveted #1 spot on the list of finishers. :p

A few hints at the VFTT list are: 1) prior lists have no basis in it's creation, 2) the list does not only include peaks, it also includes activites and experience requirements, and 3) hiking alone will get you to complete the list.

People aften complain about the rules of different lists. The fact is that the person / people that create a list get to make the rules. It is a game. If you don't like the rules you shouldn't complain about them, you should just choose not to play the game. Although I have to admit that half the fun of my list will be hearing people complain about the rules. :D

- darren

A few hints at the VFTT list are: 1) prior lists have no basis in it's creation, 2) the list does not only include peaks, it also includes activites and experience requirements, and 3) hiking alone will get you to complete the list.

People aften complain about the rules of different lists. The fact is that the person / people that create a list get to make the rules. It is a game. If you don't like the rules you shouldn't complain about them, you should just choose not to play the game. Although I have to admit that half the fun of my list will be hearing people complain about the rules. :D

- darren

Hah! I can't wait to see the list!

How many peaks are we talkin' here? 40? 50? 100?

I think there should be some sort of winter summits requirement to complete the list.

Must admit I didn’t thoroughly study all the “back ‘n forth” discussion on this thread, and so I’m uncertain if the suggestions below are valid contenders for the list!

_ You listed North Percy, but I seem to recall you can also get a 360 from South Percy as well (but could be wrong about this).

_ The Nubble has a 360 view. I’m talking about the 2,713 ft peak (called Haystack on some maps) that is located in the Twin Mtn area and is just N/NW of the Peak Above the Nubble (PAtN). There is no established trail to it, but there is a bootleg trail/herd path.

_ You listed the Owl’s Head peak on Mt. Martha. You can get a 360 from there, but you need to work around to different spots on the summit area to get the 360. So, if Owl’s Head counts, then I’d propose that perhaps Mt. Parker (north of Bartlett) should also count. With less moving around than Owl’s Head, you can easily get a 360.

I think you mean all three in Maine ;)

Nobody loves Vermont? Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield.

And I would add Hunger to that. It might have the best views on all of VT (shh, don't let that secret get too well-known).

There is a VFTT patch and associated list in the works.
Obviously, to have the VFTT name on a list or patch it would need Darren’s approval and with a patch of his own in the plan that is unlikely.
_ You listed North Percy, but I seem to recall you can also get a 360 from South Percy as well (but could be wrong about this).

_ The Nubble has a 360 view. I’m talking about the 2,713 ft peak (called Haystack on some maps) that is located in the Twin Mtn area and is just N/NW of the Peak Above the Nubble (PAtN). There is no established trail to it, but there is a bootleg trail/herd path.

_ You listed the Owl’s Head peak on Mt. Martha. You can get a 360 from there, but you need to work around to different spots on the summit area to get the 360. So, if Owl’s Head counts, then I’d propose that perhaps Mt. Parker (north of Bartlett) should also count. With less moving around than Owl’s Head, you can easily get a 360.
I don’t recall South Percy being 360. Nubble is added but Owl (north of Martha) I removed if it is not 360 from one spot on the summit.

The idea of seeking out summits with a 360 view on a clear day is worthy goal. So those who are sharing where they may be found is great. More I would possibly add for NH are Whiteface Mtn (in the Belknaps), Middle Sugarloaf, Middle Sister and the Adams family (Sam, JQ, 4 and 5). List or no list, patch or no patch, so far for nominations there are 43/NH, 33-36/ME, 4/VT, 20/NY, and 1/MA. (I did put them on a spreadsheet but have no idea how to share it.)

Added to the original suggested rules (named peak, 360 unobstructed view with no tower or tree climbing for view, and summit on clear day) I would suggest peaks at least 1000 ft. elevation, 360 view would be unobstructed to at least the next named peak or named feature such as a lake or ocean and should be from one spot on the summit not from moving to different points on the summit.