VFTT peak list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I remember Davis was much better.)
True summit of Davis lacks a trail, cairn bump isn't a named peak
Are there any named peaks with a 360 view without an established trail?
Two without official trails are Sugarloaf W of Moosilauke and Mt Isolation :)

There are others although they tend to get herd paths, think Prospect Mtn in Alton before the tower

Little Blue Job, Farmington, NH. Small mountain - 360 degree views. On a clear day you can see the ocean (although it's easier to pick out the Schiller Plant in Newington), Mt. Chocorua, and (sometimes) all the way back to Mount Washington. Lots of bang for the buck.

Little Blue Job, Farmington, NH. Small mountain - 360 degree views.
I should have known :) . Added.

You could just call it the 360 list if you want, or the NE 360, etc.
How about the “360 Summits” list. They can be done by State (360 Summits of NH, etc.).

I will add that they can be done by any means legally available. Most will prefer to hike on foot but if you want to parachute to the summit and use a sled to descend it that is fine. :p But it must be on a clear day.:)

Oh no! Now we're talking about a "one cloud rule"?

Does undercast count? Do you have to climb during clear weather, or can you camp on the summit until the clouds go away?

Darren, does your list include any peaks in Hawaii?

I am down for a VFTT 360 list and also a "Darren's Special VFTT List".

My special list is for the Northeast only, so no Hawaii peaks. Although that is an interesting idea.

My wording on the hiking part culd have been better. What I meant was the activity of hiking is not enough to complete the list. Other modes of transport will be required to complete the list. The idea behind my list is that the person is a "well rounded backcountry user". The WMNF is, after all, the land of many uses.

:D

- darren

ps: yes, winter peaks and other activities will be required to complete the list.

pps: my other statement of my list not being based on prior lists is not entirely true...there is actually an element of the trailwrights list that I really like.

Oh no! Now we're talking about a "one cloud rule"?

Does undercast count? Do you have to climb during clear weather, or can you camp on the summit until the clouds go away?
Clouds are view, too, especially when you can lay back and watch images take shape. And while it is a special treat to summit when everything below you is in the clouds, and you feel like you’re on an island, I think you owe it to yourself to return on a clear day. The spirit of the list is not to cheat yourself out of the view that can be had. So you can ascend and descend in whatever the weather but getting a clear 360 is the goal (wait however long you want) while on the summit. And if you can string together several summits under clear skies all the better.

I am down for a VFTT 360 list
- darren
This is a list of the nominated peaks so far with clarification of the rules (so far). Additions or corrections are still being accepted. :)

New Hampshire: (43)
Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Monroe, Franklin, Eisenhower, Hight, South Twin, Guyot, West Bond, Bond, Bondcliff, Garfield, Isolation, Davis, Moosilauke, Chocorua, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, North Moat, Middle Moat, South Moat, South Baldface, Monadnock, North Percy, Welch, Mt. Crawford, Mt. Major, Cardigan, Slide Peak, Boott Spur, Whiteface (Belknap Range), Middle Sugarloaf, Middle Sister, Sam Adams, JQ Adams, Adams 4, Adams 5, The Nubble, Little Blue Job

Maine: (36)
Caribou, Kahtadin, N Brother, Sugarloaf , Bigelows (2), Baldpate, Saddleback, Horn ?, Abraham, Hamlin, The Owl, Barren, Hamlin, The Owl, Barren, South Brother ?, Fort, Doubletop (2), Traveler (3), Boundary Bald , Moxie, Moxie Bald, Kinneo, Sunday River, Whitecap, Tumbledown, Low Aziscohos, Little Jackson, Goose Eye, Mt. Desert, Dorr , Champlain, Sargent

Vermont: (4)
Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield, Hunger

New York: (20)
Cascade, Gothics, Skylight, Marcy, Whiteface, Haystack, Algonquin, Basin, Dix, Gray, Iroquois, Hurricane, Mt Jo, Noonmark, Skylight, Lyon, Catamount, Jay Range, Giant, Hadley Mt

Mass: (1)
Buck Hill (Blue Hills Range)

Rules:
Must have an unobstructed 360 degree view (no towers or trees to climb)
Must be a named peak
Must be climbed on a clear day to capture the view
Added to the original suggested rules I would suggest peaks at least 1000 ft. elevation, 360 view would be unobstructed to at least the next named peak or named feature such as a lake or ocean and should be from one spot on the summit not from moving to different points on the summit.
I will add that they can be done by any means legally available. Most will prefer to hike on foot but if you want to parachute to the summit and use a sled to descend it that is fine. But it must be on a clear day.
Clouds are view, too, especially when you can lay back and watch images take shape. And while it is a special treat to summit when everything below you is in the clouds, and you feel like you’re on an island, I think you owe it to yourself to return on a clear day. The spirit of the list is not to cheat yourself out of the view that can be had. So you can ascend and descend in whatever the weather but getting a clear 360 is the goal (wait however long you want) while on the summit. And if you can string together several summits under clear skies all the better.

New Hampshire: Cardigan - fire tower obstructs view slightly

Maine: Bigelows (2) - Avery tower obstructs view
The Owl, The Owl - in twice
Low Aziscohos - not 360 with trees

New York:
Whiteface - large summit house

Maine: (36) Horn ?
As is plainly visible in my profile pic, the Saddleback Horn qualifies. Bigelow South Horn does as well, as long as one is standing on a lump of rock and not by the (somewhat lower IIRC) summit sign. Bigelow North Horn works as long as you're over 5' tall. (These are, of course, from memory...I don't have any panoramas from the Bigelows, as I was running to stay ahead of the 30-odd strong group that was crawling all over the mountain.)

EDIT: I think Coe qualifies in Maine as well.

Mass: (1) Buck Hill (Blue Hills Range)
Buck Hill in the Blue Hills doesn't even reach 500'. Worcester County Buck Hill breaks 1000', but I can't attest to its views.

In Maine you have Sunday River, Whitecap as if they are two peaks, however SRW is all one name for one mountain.

We might add Rumford Whitecap while we're at it. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) it's 360. I was up there recently but it was so windy I hid behind a rock and then ran back down! Anybody know for sure?
-vegematic

We might add Rumford Whitecap while we're at it. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) it's 360. I was up there recently but it was so windy I hid behind a rock and then ran back down! Anybody know for sure?
-vegematic

The Mahoosuc Land Trust says it is a 360. http://www.mahoosuc.org/whitecap.html

My recollection is that there was always had a stray tree or rock that provided some minor obstruction up around the summit. Perhaps if I stood on the highest rock..... :)

Regards,
Marty

More from New York:

Rocky Peak Ridge
Wright Peak
Boundary (not a 46er, but meets criteria above)

What about Nippletop? If you stand on the summit rock can you get a 360 view?

Last edited:
You can take the question mark off of South Brother.

Coe is closer to treeline, but I think it qualifies too (some low trees, but they I don't think they block the natural "horizon" of nearby peaks if you stand on the highest point).

Last edited:
Mt Resolution

I believe the true summit of Mt Resolution has a 360 view and also does not have a trail. :)

I have updated the list based with this added input and am editing post #1 so it is easier to look at the list and corrections.

I believe the true summit of Mt Resolution has a 360 view and also does not have a trail. :)

I seem to recall differently - I don't think you can see south - but if someone has pictures of this or any other to help verify peaks it would be great. Some I have not been to (none in New York and several in Maine) and my memory isn't perfect. :)

I was up on Rumford Whitecap last summer, in-between downpours. There is 360 degree views from the true summit and secondary summit to the east.

Great, great little hike!

Roy, when was the last time you visited Low Aziscohos? It was a full 360 last time I was on the highest point. I noticed that they had trimmed some trees back in 2005 or 2006. Note that I am 6'1", too.
Both of my visits were longer ago than that so you may be right. The first time the fire tower was still standing but the windows were boarded up so I had to open the roof hatch for a view.

In general I think that many of the peaks named have good views but do not meet the strict 360-from-one-point rule, and field trips may prove this. For instance, I remember being very impressed with the view from Haystack Mtn VT [1930 on Wells quad] but because I wasn't checking for a 360 view I'm not sure. I notice that carole didn't add the 2 iffy peaks I mentioned earlier either.