Best hiking boot brand for women with wide feet.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
My girlfriend has had a lot of trouble with hiking long distances because of foot pain from boots that do not fit right. Her feet are wide and she has a hard time finding even shoes that fit right. Does anybody have recommendations of quality brands that makes quality "W" sized boots?
Thanks,

Dom

First of all, I'm not a woman, so I have no personal experience. Just wanted to clarify. Secondly, my mom has fairly wide feet as well, and had similar problems several years back. She eventually settled on Asolo, and now loves them. She has three pair of Asolo walking/hiking shoes (not made anymore, or else I'd post a link), and has had no problems. I know that Asolo also has the option of purchasing some of their shoes in Woman's Wide.

Hope that helps.

Unlike ADK88, I am a woman;) I also have very wide feet. In fact, Peter Limmer has told me that mine are the shortest, widest feet he has ever made custom boots for! If you don't want to invest in custom boots, I agree with ADK88 that boots made by Asolo are among those with the widests lasts. I hiked in leather Asolos for many years before I got my Limmers. Another great alternative for wider feet are boots by Hi-Tec. They are generally lightweight and not very expensive. They also tend to run quite wide. I used an old $40 pair of them on my LT hike last year and I was astounded by how well they performed. Hi-Tecs might be the way to go!

I've got wide feet and I've been very happy with all leather LLBean Crestas in the wide width after going through several other brands that either didn't last or never felt right. I'm on my second pair. Each foot is individual and it's a personal thing.

You said boots, but if you'd consider trail runners, New Balance makes some nice ones in D widths.

I have somewhat wide feet and curly toes that blister really easily. I hiked the AT last year wearing a pair of Keen's Targee 2-the men's shoe, not the woman's. End of problem. These have the widest toebox I've seen, and were fitted to be almost two sizes larger than any sneaker I've ever worn.

I love Asolo!!

I feel her pain!! I am very wide at the toebox. After years of pain I found my Asolos!! Also, recently, I found a pair of lightweight summer mesh Merrills that were roomy as well. If you go to EMS, you can try the boots on under a pack load because everyones' feet fit the boots differently when weight is added. I have found that more so than the folks I hike with, I have always needed a really good breaking in period with a heavy pack. I've worn new boots around for a few weeks to break them in but I still find adding that pack the first day out totally changes the fit.
Knowing that I am prone to foot problems, I am always in wick dry all year long and have a HUGE supply of Spenco Second Skin in the first aid kit. Every mile or so just pause and think about your feet! Anything rubbing....any hot spots? Be proactive, stop whip the boots off and treat the area- even if all you have is duct tape!
One last note, I once left my boots home (gasp- in the driveway actually). In a pinch I have purchased cheap boys boots- to avoid paying vacation destination outfitter prices. I find the toe box on boys boots is always much wider.

Wide Boots

Although I am not a female I vote for the Cresta Hikers from LL Bean as well. I had to return mine the first time around because they were too wide. I am a C-width. These boots are excellent and I have a feeling you'll find them plenty wide. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

My next new pair of day hikers will be the Keen boots. I'm a convert to Keen and own several pair of their casual shoes.

I have a new pair of Crestas for backpacking which I haven't tried yet, and have done very well with Merrell.

I have a pair of Scarpas that are not at all comfortable for me and I'm going to try to sell them, and I tried Asolo once but didn't like them, either.

It's all such a relative question because everybody's foot is different. The best suggestion is just for her to go try them all on and find what she's most comfortable in.

As for me, I frequently need to purchase a Wide in regular Women's shoes and frequently buy men's sneakers instead of women's for the extra space in the toe box.

All that being said, my 3-season hikers are either the Asolo Stynger (Women's) or the Asolo Fugitive (Men's). I've used both and they both work well for me. Plenty of room in the toes.

For winter boots, I actually use North Face Chilkats and haven't had any issues with the toe box fitting in those.

Vasque

Vasque makes boots in wide. My wife has a pair of Sundowners that fit well. New Balance does too, but they only make lightweight boots.

New Balance 1500 Rainier

I have a terrible time with boots. Just last weekend, huge blisters on my heels trying to break in a new pair of Asolo's, not wearing them anymore.

I wear New Balance sneakers and have for years. New Balance has come out with a hiking boot, very nice boot. Arrived last Tues, wore them hiking Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Happy feet. :) Even had them on with crampons and chewed up heels and no blisters, no sore spots, no hurting ankle bones. They come in many widths for both men and women. Worth checking them out and Campmor carries them.

Backpacker gave them their Editor's Choice Award in their gear review issue. That is where I discovered them.

Cindy

You know what they say about women with wide feet don't you?

Hmmm... no, what do "they" say????

Cindy, FYI: I wear New Balance sneakers on my wide feet and they fit great. Awesome to hear that they make a boot now too!

I
I wear New Balance sneakers and have for years. New Balance has come out with a hiking boot, very nice boot. Arrived last Tues, wore them hiking Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Happy feet. :) Even had them on with crampons and chewed up heels and no blisters, no sore spots, no hurting ankle bones. They come in many widths for both men and women. Worth checking them out and Campmor carries them.

Backpacker gave them their Editor's Choice Award in their gear review issue. That is where I discovered them.

Cindy

Thanks for the info!

Unlike ADK88, I am a woman;) If you don't want to invest in custom boots, I agree with ADK88 that boots made by Asolo are among those with the widests lasts.

For several years I have worn a pair of Asolo Fugitive boots which I liked very much. I wore the soles out on those shoes and just purchased a pair of Keen Oregon PCTs. The sole at the toe box of the Oregon's is a half inch wider than that of my Asolos. The interior at the toe box is therefore much roomier than the Asolos. To quote others, I am not a woman, but I would guess that the woman's boot in that model would be equally roomy.

Buy men's!!

Women's 9 1/2 2E in a sneaker here! Now that's a big foot.

I have given up looking at women's wide boots altogether, the selection is very limited. I have big bunions that are not painful if I wear the correct boot.

Right now I have Merrill Ventilators for summer hiking in a 9 mens. They are very lightweight - most men's are much heavier than women's. I have tried men's Hi Tec's, but the soles wore out way too soon.

I have concluded that they make few wide widths in women's boots because they know you can buy men's.

Good luck to your girlfriend.

While I find men's boots have a bit larger toe box, and I'll often choose them for that reason, I like the narrower heel area that women's boots offer.