Brandy Brow Hill - need information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Now if you never heard of Brandy Brow Hill, you probably can't help me. It's on the NH / MA state line and forms the corner point of the towns iof Plaistow and Newton NH and Haverhill and Merrimac MA.

I want to go up there and investigate the old state line monument and some nearby survey markers.

The hill seems to be in an area of many gravel pits.

Anyone know the area? Is it the sort of place you can just walk in to? If you live nearby, are there any old-timers or other curmudgeons who would know?

I called the Town Clerk in Newton and she said if it was her, she would just go on in, people won't shoot you around here (her words - very reassuring).

Thanks.

Hi, I Live in Merrimac, my house abuts conservation land, an old RR bed, that runs North-south from the center of Merrimac. I literally have a two minute walk to Newton. There is an old granite state line marker near the railbed (also known as the MaClaren trail). The trail is open in Merrimac, but has been closed off at the state line by the landowner in Newton. There is another granite state line marker on the Perkins Conservation land which has open access off of Hadley Road in Merrimac. There is an entrance directly across - (east side of Hadley)-from Battis road. Both of these markers are on open land, no problem walking around there. I am unsure which hill or marker you are specifically referring to, but Brandy Brow is slightly (1/2 mile) west of my locale. You might google earth Hadley or Heath Road in Merrimac. There are several abaondoned pits we called the Brandy Brow pits as a kid- not sure who owns them now. You might get access off of Hadley Road on the Haverhill Merimac line, with Newton to the North. I will ask around and see if any old maps exist, Merrimac or Haverhill Public Library may have something, both have good old collection sections. Happy Hunting.

Hi, I Live in Merrimac, my house abuts conservation land, an old RR bed, that runs North-south from the center of Merrimac. I literally have a two minute walk to Newton. There is an old granite state line marker near the railbed (also known as the MaClaren trail). The trail is open in Merrimac, but has been closed off at the state line by the landowner in Newton. There is another granite state line marker on the Perkins Conservation land which has open access off of Hadley Road in Merrimac. There is an entrance directly across - (east side of Hadley)-from Battis road. Both of these markers are on open land, no problem walking around there. I am unsure which hill or marker you are specifically referring to, but Brandy Brow is slightly (1/2 mile) west of my locale. You might google earth Hadley or Heath Road in Merrimac. There are several abaondoned pits we called the Brandy Brow pits as a kid- not sure who owns them now. You might get access off of Hadley Road on the Haverhill Merimac line, with Newton to the North. I will ask around and see if any old maps exist, Merrimac or Haverhill Public Library may have something, both have good old collection sections. Happy Hunting.
Thanks Mike

Here's a map of where I want to go: Brandy Brow map

I see where the state line crosses Hadley Rd at the top at state line monument #142. Is that the one you describe? (but the RR road bed is not shown). Or if you drag then map down, you can also see Battis Rd heading straight north (which looks like it could be an old RR bed), and it crosses at monument #146. Maybe that the one you describe.

But in the middle of the map (before you drag it) the one where the Haverhill / Merrimac line crosses the state line at monument #141. That's Brandy Brow Hill (which is also labeled). That's the one I want to get to.

So what I'm talking about where the Haverhill / Merrimac line crosses over and becomes the Plaistow / Newton line. Further south than the others.

Any idea about that spot?

It looks like a short hop from Rt 108 in NH, but that road is lined with what looks like industrial/commercial buildings.

Last edited:
108 has some light industrial and residential, could be some access there,still a lot of open ground in this area, I will try and take a swing by in the next few days. I know there is a small convinence plaza, Dunkins, Pizza place, gas, not far from Hadley road intersection, you might be able to start in from there, I will take a look, but my first thought is there would be some unfenced access. As for friendly landowners, hope the clerk is right. Anyways I will take a look. Mike

Sorry, in regards to the monuments, #146 is on the conservation land across from Battis road, drag a little further north and you will find #147 next to the Old RR bed. These are the two I have seen, both are still there.Mike

Hi Papa Bear, did a little more recon today- did not find easy direct access off of 108. Off of Hadley in Merrimac there are several old dirt roads unclear who owns them, but straight shot into the pit area. I will do more checking on Heath road. Mike PS

Hi Mike

Thanks for scouting the area. There are 2 spots on route 108 that look "promising". One just south of the Plaistow / Newton line and one about 1/4 mile further south. The northern one looks like some sort of small industrial building, the southern one looks like it's part of one of the gravel pits. Each one happens to be across the road from new condo developments. (Who would want to buy a condo amidst all those pits?)

If these are occupied, we could ask permission to cross their land. The top of the hill is likely to be owned by some one else, perhaps the town.

Hadley Road is possible but it's a much longer distance and crosses some old pits. My friend has some heavy survey equipment to trek.

See aerial view of that section of the road:

Brandy%20Brow%203.jpg

Thanks again

Hi Mike,

I know this is an old thread but was curious if you ever did make it to the Brandy Brow Hill summit and if so, what was your route?

Thanks,
Karl

sorry i thought I replied earlier- I did not hike in only did some road recon for Papa Bear If you go be aware of hunting seasons lots of activity in this area NH-Mass border where seasons can overlap or connect, wear your orange!