Ever Curious What Could Be Seen From Cleveland (Cleveland Mtn, that is):08-Apr-2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This barely deserves a Trip Report, but I decided to post one anyway. I’ve often wondered about the view from that little ledge on Cleveland Mountain (it’s the little 2,405 foot mountain residing a few miles due north of Cannon Mountain). The small ledge on the south-face of this mountain is visible from certain segments of I-93 and also from points along Route 3.

Since I’ve wondered about the view from there, I thought there might be a few others who have also wondered about it. So, as a public service:), I went up there today and snapped a few photos. The view from Cleveland Mountain is very similar to that from its “twin-sister” Mt. Agassiz which is just a stone’s throw away. (As some of you know, you can walk to the top of Agassiz via a private road which is open to foot-traffic through the generosity of the land-owner.)

Concerning the route up to the ledges on Cleveland Mountain, you can do about 99% of the hike entirely on WMNF land. However, the actual ledge area itself is on un-posted private land. I began my hike from Trudeau Road and used snowmobile trails for maybe two-thirds of the hike, and bushwhacked the final third through generally open woods. The entire round-trip only took about 3 hours.

I do have a question which perhaps someone on this forum can answer. On some maps, a trail to Cleveland Mtn. is shown coming off the east side of Mt. Cleveland Road (which is a road off Route 142). However, private land is on either side of Mt. Cleveland Road. So, my question is this. Does anyone know if the land-owner allows off-road parking and permits use of this trail?:confused: (I know the trail is still there since it is quite evident from the back of the ledge where I was today.)

I’m glad I did this short hike for several reasons. For one thing, it was a perfect “fit” for the time available to me today. And secondly, I was able to satisfy my curiosity about the view from this particular ledge. However, since the view is so similar to that from Mt. Agassiz, I can see no reason to repeat this hike in the future. If I want that particular view, I’ll walk the road up to Agassiz.:D

So, here are a couple of photos.

Looking South Toward Cannon
100_1372.JPG

Looking East Toward Garfield & the Twins
100_1363.JPG

1HappyHiker

A local told me several years ago that a writer (possibly Nick Howe? the writer of Not without Peril) owned a "writers cabin" on top of the mountain that was accessed via a trail from that road. She also stated that the landowner along the road didnt like or want anybody on "his" road and was quite aggressive at hasseling anyone who tried to park there or go through "his" property to access the trail.I dont know if its similiar to the Mt Cabot situation but considering the spot, I dont see many hikers clamoring to get to the summit.

I didnt care to confirm either, and she is out riding the range in colorado so take it for what its worth.

A local told me several years ago that a writer (possibly Nick Howe? the writer of Not without Peril) owned a "writers cabin" on top of the mountain that was accessed via a trail from that road. She also stated that the landowner along the road didnt like or want anybody on "his" road and was quite aggressive at hasseling anyone who tried to park there or go through "his" property to access the trail.I dont know if its similiar to the Mt Cabot situation but considering the spot, I dont see many hikers clamoring to get to the summit.

I didnt care to confirm either, and she is out riding the range in colorado so take it for what its worth.
Thanks Peakbagger for the info . . . much appreciated!!

After having been there (via the backdoor route), I see no reason for a return visit, and certainly see no reason to “press the issue” by attempting to go there via the trail from Mt. Cleveland Road (especially in light of the info you posted!).

As indicated in my TR, I was able to access the ledge by staying on WMNF land for 99% of the way. But admittedly, I did need to go a few hundred feet off WMNF land to access the ledge which is on private property (un-posted . . . at least in the area where I was).

Last edited:
I do not believe that the landowner of the top of the mountain is the same person who "guards" the road, so as long as the top isnt posted, there shouldnt be any issues with visiting on a "leave no trace" basis via WMNF.

I was there several years ago with my sister and the PeakMaster, there were plenty of No Trespassing signs but we found a place to park away from the signs and an unposted route up - but can't say if that's still true.

At that time, the pulloff on Rte.3 was signed as the "Mt Cleveland Scenic Vista" and about all you could see from there was Mt Cleveland. Similarly the pulloff could be seen from the ledge on Mt Cleveland, which I therefore dubbed the "Mt Cleveland Scenic Vista Vista".

It's always great to see a report on a small trip to a unique location. I'll have to admit that I've never even noticed the ledge on Cleveland - a bit sad since I've driven down that road past the pulloff a zillion times!

Not sure about the Mt Cleveland road access, though I know some folks who live up that way who I will ask the next time I bump into them, in case they have any other info to add to what peakbagger said.

There are a few roads with close access to some hills and mountains around Bethlehem that I have been unsure of the right of access. I remember being able to walk from the Gale River road on the south side of Agassiz all the way to Swazey Lane on the old road - now, there is a gate up by Copper Cannon that blocks the road with a sign stating "private road, no access". This is a little ways before the road enters WMNF land and becomes part of the network of snowmobile trails which join up with Trudeau road and Swazey lane.

Great to see those views, John! :)

As a matter of fact, I actually had wondered about the view from there, given all of the times I'd driven past the Route 3 scenic overlook pull-off for Mt. Cleveland.

Again, thanks!
Great . . . . hoped this would be useful to someone!

. . . so as long as the top isnt posted, there shouldnt be any issues with visiting on a "leave no trace" basis via WMNF.
Thanks . . . that’s what I sort of felt, but it’s nice to have my feelings confirmed!
At that time, the pulloff on Rte.3 was signed as the "Mt Cleveland Scenic Vista" and about all you could see from there was Mt Cleveland. Similarly the pulloff could be seen from the ledge on Mt Cleveland, which I therefore dubbed the "Mt Cleveland Scenic Vista Vista".
“The Mt Cleveland Scenic Vista Vista” . . . that is funny . . . got a chuckle out of that one Roy!

Not sure about the Mt Cleveland road access, though I know some folks who live up that way who I will ask the next time I bump into them, in case they have any other info to add to what peakbagger said.
Thanks Chris!

Heh heh heh, this is funny because Russ has for the longest time joked about "bushwhacking Tm Cleavland". Maybe noe his curiosity has been quenched. :D
Hmmm! I’ve got a feeling that Russ might still be joking about bushwhacking to Mt. Cleveland!

I recently read a book called Brush Cat by Jack McEnany. It looks at the present-day logging industry in northern New Hampshire. The author lives in Sugar Hill but mentions in the book that he used to live in a cabin on Mt. Cleveland.

The idea of hiking Mt.Cleveland started with a friend asking "what's that mountain?" Cleveland. "Have you hiked it?" No, never. "Why not?" um, never thought of it. "Let's do it" So off we went, last October. We parked on Mt. Cleveland road, just before the "circle" at what looks to be the end of the road (but not quite). We walked up an old overgrown road to the right (east), just before the "circle". We soon saw an abandoned house. It didn't look as bad as most abandoned houses look- despite there being an old wringer washer sitting out in front of it! Following the overgrown road to the right of the house, there is an outbuilding with plenty of windows. Taking a closer peek, we saw this building is ...an outhouse! With lots of windows! This hike was already interesting. Before long, the road petered out, but it was time for a right turn, bushwacking south toward the mountain. We crossed a gravel driveway, realizing it was the gated driveway we passed on Mt. Cleveland Road. After crossing, we soon found a beaten path that took us up to the high point of the mountain. I didn't notice a register bottle, but I wasn't looking for one. We proceeded over the top and onto ledges, overlooking Rt. 3. There is an old rusty chair frame on the ledge. We followed a pathway to the left, figuring correctly that it led to the old cabin site (shown on USGS topo map). Well, the cabin is flattened. But there is a new, very ruggedly built observation deck with a heavy wooden chair on it. (From the Mt. Cleveland picnic area on Rt 3, both the ledges and this deck can be seen- use binoculars). As my hiking friend was really getting worried that we'd get shot by an irate mountain man/landowner, we worked our way back. Going back over the summit area again, there has been some logging going on up there.
So, no writer's cabin (how would one write in this modern day with no electricity?), and it's not Nick Howe's place. He famously lives in Jackson. We crossed the long gravel driveway again, and could barely see a truck and part of a house at the end of the road. I want to point out that we didn't see a single "No Trespassing sign". An interesting hike. Ever see a glass outhouse?Mt.C1.jpgMt.C2.jpgMt.C3.jpgMt.C4.jpgMt.C5.jpg

I think the town of Bethlehem ended up with the property on top of the Mt Cleveland due to a property tax default. There were folks interested in buying it but the town elected to keep it as conservation land. Not sure if it covers this area.

I think the town of Bethlehem ended up with the property on top of the Mt Cleveland due to a property tax default. There were folks interested in buying it but the town elected to keep it as conservation land. Not sure if it covers this area.

Sure could be town property - and who built the deck up there, but if it's not, then it's got to be the owner of #576 Mt.Cleveland Rd. (the gated driveway)who built it.

Sure could be town property - and who built the deck up there, but if it's not, then it's got to be the owner of #576 Mt.Cleveland Rd. (the gated driveway)who built it.

The town has a very nice property ownership map online: https://www.axisgis.com/BethlehemNH/

It looks like most of the summit area is owned by 576 Mt. Cleveland Rd., but there is a little box around the platform that is owned by "The White Mountain School".

Vincent Charland & The White Mt. School. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Odd, I guess the report of Bethlehem acquiring a property for taxes in this area a few year back was premature. Given the photos of the structures on one of the properties they sure look deteriorated.