John Bachar dies free-soloing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steph and Dean are both fans of BASE jumping to get back down. So, instead of a walk-off, would this be a "fly-off"...? :D
Reminds me of this excerpt from Krakauer's Eiger Dreams.

Krakauer talking to a Chamonix local about a recent test piece he just climbed in town:

"The Capucin"" replies Patrick, clearly impressed. "That must have been a very difficult summit to launch the parapente from, yes?" No, no, I quickly interject - I simply climbed the peak; I didn't mean to suggest that I'd also flown off it. "Non?" says Patrick, momentarily taken aback. "Well, to solo the Capucin, that is a worthwhile undertaking all the same." Actually, I sheepishly explain, I hadn't soloed the peak, either: I'd done it with a partner and a rope. "You did not solo and you did not fly?" asks the Frenchman, incredulous. "Did you not find the experience a little-how do you say in English-banal?"

I was surprised when he almost died in a car wreck a few years ago. By that time he had earned the right to die on a rock climb.

I've done it, I got the thrill and have seen swarms of guys free soloing in Yosemite making it look so fun and safe. But my logical (and wussy) mind cannot get past the clear fatal results involved if anything goes wrong.

RIP

Standing at the bottom of Bachar-Yerian (5.11c R/X, 1981) will make one appreciate just how bold and talented this guy was.
I believe he fully understood the risks of what he was doing but couldn't live any other way.

I love it when people who live basically risk free lives, knock people who dont, its times like this I question why I go on these boards at all, the last thing I want is to lumped in with people who think like that.

I love it when people who live basically risk free lives, knock people who dont, its times like this I question why I go on these boards at all, the last thing I want is to lumped in with people who think like that.

:confused: Did you actually read the threads here or just assume someone was knocking him ? Nobody here was knocking him.

I understand. Free Soloing, though, is another level. I don't know what to compare it to. There aren't many sports where one tiny mistake will most certainly result in death.

IMHO, riding a motorcycle without a helmet comes close.

Chip-"I understand. Free Soloing, though, is another level. I don't know what to compare it to. There aren't many sports where one tiny mistake will most certainly result in death."
I believe the closest 'sport' would be Russian Roulette. It is sad that this tragedy happened but how many people retire from either activity?

Last edited:
Reminds me of this excerpt from Krakauer's Eiger Dreams.

Krakauer talking to a Chamonix local about a recent test piece he just climbed in town:

"The Capucin"" replies Patrick, clearly impressed. "That must have been a very difficult summit to launch the parapente from, yes?" No, no, I quickly interject - I simply climbed the peak; I didn't mean to suggest that I'd also flown off it. "Non?" says Patrick, momentarily taken aback. "Well, to solo the Capucin, that is a worthwhile undertaking all the same." Actually, I sheepishly explain, I hadn't soloed the peak, either: I'd done it with a partner and a rope. "You did not solo and you did not fly?" asks the Frenchman, incredulous. "Did you not find the experience a little-how do you say in English-banal?"
Nice post.... I long remember Jon's words from this passage. I think it was this book or another Krakauer book where he discussed Bachar asd a mathematician and how he applied mathematics to problem-solving in free climbing - and where I first heard of Bachar.

Here is an article on John Bachar from Rock and Ice issue 166, March 2008, which is a lengthy but illuminating read on not just Bachar but also the climbing scene in which he participated for over three decades. I am not sure if the entire article can be read on-line, but I will compare with my hard copy later this week.

http://www.rockandice.com/inthemag.php?id=10&type=featart

For me, riding a motorcycle is as close as I will ever come to (what I imagine would be) the feeling and the mindset of those who freeclimb.

Especially since I am such a novice at riding, you have to push everything else out of your mind and concentrate on every movement from every part of your body.

As soon as your mind starts drifting, well, so does the bike... Not good.

That feeling of putting everything else aside, on hold, or behind you is amazing, you are truly just 'living in the moment'.

May he find peace and comfort...

Here is an article on John Bachar from Rock and Ice issue 166, March 2008, which is a lengthy but illuminating read on not just Bachar but also the climbing scene in which he participated for over three decades. I am not sure if the entire article can be read on-line, but I will compare with my hard copy later this week.

http://www.rockandice.com/inthemag.php?id=10&type=featart

I just checked my hard copy issue 166 this past weekend, and the on-line version at the link is complete; article written by Duane Raleigh, long-time editorial board member of Rock and Ice.

Last edited:
But given enough time, it IS probability. Given enough time, someone WILL make a mistake.

The skill is just the length of time.

By that rational, driving a car is also the equivalent of russian roulette, since it's only a matter of time before some drunk smashes into you.

The reason neither driving nor free soloing is the equivalent of russian roulette is that if you are a better climber/driver, you are less likely to have an accident. With russian roulette, there is NOTHING you can do to improve your chances, they are ALWAYS 1 in 6.

Bachar's fitness regimen was legendary. On the rock he was a relentless calculator. And I've watched more than one interview where he expressed quite clearly his understanding of the risk.