Great Range Traverse Loop (almost) ADK Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
JF organized this trip sometime ago with Caveman and I in tow. We hoped for a spectacular day (actually this was never mentioned at all) and boy did we freakin' get one. The plan was Marcy - Gray - Skylight - Haystack - Basin - Saddleback - Gothics - Upper Wolfjaw - Lower Wolfjaw - Horseturd - and Roostercomb.

So, after a night of heavy drinking (some of us wayyyy feckin' heavier than others ;) and getting to bed way late, JF and I woke up around 4:30 am, got ready to roll. Fortunately, UFC was still alive and actually awake and packing and would be conscious within a few hours.

Jump ahead to a 6:15 start at the Garden -- already a little behind -- we start out hard to Marcy. My electrolytes are messed up and I bonk on what should be the easiest part of the day, 9 miles and ~4000' elevation.... had to take a Gu Shot, something I never do in the morning but that got me to the top. My third time on Marcy and first time getting views like this. We had deep blue skies, low humidity and perfect temps. The summit steward was nice and graciously allowed Caveman to urinate in the alpine zone. We were already a little behind schedule; once at Four Corners we discussed on Gray... was it worth it? No.

A few minutes later we were enjoying spectacular views on Skylight. My bonking episode far behind and looking forward to the challenges ahead. Back at Four Corners, Caveman pumped water out of a tidal pool and we were off to our second biggest climb of the day, up the South Side of Haystack. This part turned out to be a lot of fun and not as difficult as I remembered from 2004 -- actually it was easy and our quick ascent enabled us to enjoy the awesome views with nobody else at the summit for a little while.

The trip up to Basin was somewhat uneventful after some lovely ridgewalking over Little Haystack.... however the views were starting to get crazier and crazier with all the breathtaking slides and slabs all over the huge Great Range Peaks. Still feeling good and really excited about going up Saddleback -- I hadn't done this peak before -- and once we got there the slabby rockclimbing didn't disappoint! Going up a few of those rocks were a bit sketchy but pretty doable and after a few minutes we were already eying the cable route up Gothics. JF said that the cable was totally useless and he was right -- the rock was incredibly grippy on my trail runners and the cable only got in the way.

By now the three of us had pretty much sobered up. I had some of the worst farts of my entire life this whole trip and at one point I worried that I might have gassed Caveman and that he might be death by asphyxiation on the trail somewhere. Fortunately he was not but JF and I did have to wait in the buggy Gothics - Armstrong col for about 20 minutes for UFC to make his second poo poo of the day. He gave us a demonstration as to how he had to hold on to a root and squat and also how once he thought that he was finally done some other stuff came out and he had to start all over again with the toilet paper and the hair brush. This was ok by us but by now we were concerned that we were falling behind schedule again. None of us wanted to hike more than 14 hours today and once at Armstrong (more incredible views) we were running low on water and I think that Caveman and I were starting to hurt.

We made a decision at this point -- Caveman and I would bail at Lower Wolfjaw while JF would continue on to Roosterbrush and we'd pick him up with the car somewhere. He took off running down the Armstrong peak and then suddenly a few minutes later he's shouting, hurry-up guys -- Pizza! So Caveman and I boogie and who is there with JF but Cory (ColdriverRun) with pizza and bananas! I gladly accepted 2 slices of buffalo chicken pizza! Up until this point all I had to eat all day long was 2 beers and a granola bar so the pizza sure did go down well -- too bad I didn't have any more beer but I didn't anticipate this trail magic and carried 2 instead of 3. Next time I'll remember.

Now, JF says that he's done as well and is going to hike out with us. We go over Upper Wolfjaw and then some horrible PUD and down to the UWJ / LWJ Col... nasty looking hill in front of us we figure that in order to hit 14 hours we gotta bail down to the Garden from here. So we do, running most of the way back to the car for a 13:55 hike. A few beers later and we were on the road and back at the campsite for a night of partying!

This hike was tough but a lot of fun and certainly not impossible by any means. I hope to get back soon and do the whole traverse. It's more of a ball buster than say a Presi Traverse and the views are stunning and also, a big plus is that the woods in between the summits (not as much treeline as a Prezzie) are quite pretty -- prettier than the Whites in my opinion -- so that makes things go quick. I had done Marcy / Haystack / Gothics etc. on separate occasions but I still felt unfamiliar with the terrain so I didn't push as hard as maybe I should have. Definitely have to get back though.

Anyway, I want to thank JF and Caveman for the great hike... thanks to Cory for the pizza! And thanks to the ADKs for the great mountains. I (only me) took a bunch of pictures that once I get online I'll post soon enough.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I had some of the worst farts of my entire life this whole trip ...[EDIT]...

Ah...that would essplain the surprise DEC air quality warning they posted during the day on Saturday.

:eek:

Butt seriously, sounds like a great hike and nice TR. Having done a GRT (excl. Marcy) in Sept. '07, I could follow along perfectly with your descriptions. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Love those Saddleback slabs, but wished I'd had my rock shoes with me at the time...

Nice report! Yeah you guys sure are the life of the party! I still cant believe Steve could hike :D

Thanks for the tip on NUUN Tablets too. I will check them out!

That's why you've got to come to Barnes for a weekend in the Whites! You too can learn to drink heavily, act foolish, get little or no sleep and then bust out a 30 mile hike the next morning! :eek::D

-Dr. Wu

Ha! I was right. :D

After talking to Cory on Gothics and getting the skinny on the shape you guys were in: out of wa-wa, in pain, drinking all night, I was pretty sure even the bananas and pizza wouldn't get you up over LWJ. Way to tempting to bail out of Wolf Jaw notch.

Nest time, (how 'bout late September?) I want to go with you but we'll start at the Rooster Comb parking area and finish there. Ie. Roostercomb to Marcy and back out along Johns Brook. (I'll go to bed at 8pm the night before after warm milk and textured soy protein.)

Also, I vote that Wu goes (like 80 feet) down Orebed and brings back quarts and quarts of cool refreshing ADK wild water for the rest of us.

There was a funny smell hovering over the Range Saturday. Now I know why. The VFTTers were in town.

After talking to Cory on Gothics and getting the skinny on the shape you guys were in: out of wa-wa, in pain, drinking all night, I was pretty sure even the bananas and pizza wouldn't get you up over LWJ. Way to tempting to bail out of Wolf Jaw notch.
A little less drinking and an earlier start and we finish the hike, no problem.
Nest time, (how 'bout late September?) I want to go with you but we'll start at the Rooster Comb parking area and finish there. Ie. Roostercomb to Marcy and back out along Johns Brook. (I'll go to bed at 8pm the night before after warm milk and textured soy protein.)
Uhhhh... how about we just spot a car? Your logic sounds like 2 road walks to me.
There was a funny smell hovering over the Range Saturday. Now I know why. The VFTTers were in town.
You woulda thought the 3 of us ate propellant or something. Not pretty.

-Dr. Wu

I think Wu and UFC would've gone on to LWJ, but I really had my mind set on getting out of the woods before dark. It was worth it, IMO...although I always feel a little guilty about cutting things short.

Shame we missed ya Neil...but it was cool to run into Cory...even though he was whining about blisters and sore feet the whole time. ;)

Other than the basic route, Wu's whole report is false...totally made up. None of it ever happened.

Jason

Uhhhh... how about we just spot a car? Your logic sounds like 2 road walks to me.
Just one on the way out. But sure, we'll spot one at the Garden, road walks are hard on the soles of my feet.

The "traditional" Range Hike (or so I have been told by a range master who does it 11 hours) is from Roostercomb to Marcy and back from whence you started.

It sure is purty up there aint it?

Other than the basic route, Wu's whole report is false...totally made up. None of it ever happened.
Jason

You mean you guys just hauled a keg into Marcy Dam and made obscene, snide remarks all day long at the hikers as they passed through.

Wicked funny TR...I wouldn't expect anything less from you Wu!!! I'm still laughing :D

Now your post on Facebook makes sense. I didn't know until Saturday that you were going to the ADK's.

Sweet! So what's more difficult: the Great Range in a day or the Devil's Path in a day? :confused:

Sweet! So what's more difficult: the Great Range in a day or the Devil's Path in a day? :confused:
Great Range has more mileage, elevation gain and difficult footing. However, Great Range has wow-factor views and, in my opinion, much prettier woods (and no nettles) which actually makes things feel like they're going quicker and easier so I don't know. My guess is 95% of people would say Great Range is more 'difficult' but to me it's a 25+ mile hike with 10,000' +/- 1000' elevation gain; if you can do one you can do the other.

-Dr. Wu

Great Range has more mileage, elevation gain and difficult footing. However, Great Range has wow-factor views and, in my opinion, much prettier woods (and no nettles) which actually makes things feel like they're going quicker and easier so I don't know. My guess is 95% of people would say Great Range is more 'difficult' but to me it's a 25+ mile hike with 10,000' +/- 1000' elevation gain; if you can do one you can do the other.

-Dr. Wu

The footing seems to be the biggest factor between the DP and the GR. In the Catskills, you've got these layers of rocks that are almost like steps while the Adirondacks, you've just got these flat slabs of rock with hardly any footing.

When I did the GR as a backpack last summer, I thought that the GR was definitely harder than the DP. But as a day hike, I'm reconsidering the difficulty of the two, because pack weight and time are big factors. The cols on the GR aren't nearly as deep as the DP's but the accumulated elevation is greater on the GR. I guess I'll just have to do it as a day hike to find out! :eek:

You guys rock! We kept wondering how you were faring throughout the day (and speculated as to how many times UFC had puked:eek:). Very impressive.