NH 48 Direttissima North to South 8/13 - 8/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
MEB and I are giving it a shot starting tomorrow morning with Mt. Cabot over Kilkenny Ridge to route 2 the first day. The second day we will do the Northern Pressies and stay at Barnes Field for the night. We will have a tracking device so you guys can see where we are.

http://www.instamapper.com/

username: matsroing
password: hiking

We're carrying everything from the start and the only thing we'll refill is water. MEB's pack weighed in at 50.4 lbs last night (with 3 liters of water). Mine was 51.0 lbs but I still have 15 lbs of stuff to add (including water). The food is the bulk of it. We are using a Black Diamond Lighthouse tent without the vestibule. No tent stakes to save weight. Have solar charger for the Iphone so the GPS tracker will work....knock on wood.

The third day (Saturday) we plan on going from Barnes Field out to route 16 down to Stony Brook Trail and Moriah - Wildcats....not sure where to set camp here but somewhere......Isolation and Southern Pressies for Sunday 8/16. The plan is to finish on Moosilauke on Sunday 8/23. Will most likely stay at Lafayette Campground Saturday night 8/22. Then do the last 25 miles over Cannon to Moosilauke and down to Ravine Lodge on Sunday 8/23.

I'm guessing around 240 miles and 87,000 vertical feet (last time I did some extras so hopefully I won't miss trail intersections etc this time ;-)

Shake and Bake!

good luck mats and meb! and thanks for the pizza last night.

hmm.. seems you exited the T station this morning and headed down Beacon St. ;)

Good luck you two!! Sounds like a *wicked awesome* trip. :D:cool::p

50 lbs. = OUCH. :D

I'll be on Franconia Ridge this weekend, so it looks like I'll miss you.

Best of luck, and to quote part of an old Irish blessing:

...May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face...

Steve

what about Mats' bag, 66 lbs= super ouch!

The thing is that those weights are with water so as the bladder goes dry the pack decreases in weight......I have a 6-liter MSR bladder plus a 1-liter bottle.....keeping the powder mixes in the bottle and clean water in the bladder. Otherwise the bladder goes kind of nasty as the days goes by.

The other factor is that we start with 11 days worth of food so each day the pack will lose about 2.5 lbs of weight. If we can make it the first three days we have a good chance of making the rest.

We'll probably lose at least 5-10 lbs of body weight per person also......it's a pretty bomb proof way of losing weight.....

Good luck you two!!! I remember that last year I couldn't even pick up Mats' pack - sounds like maybe he's managed to trim it down a little bit! Hopefully I will run into you somewhere along the way...

R

Looking forward to following you guys via the tracker on your awesome adventure!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Awesome - good luck!
Are you doing Washington with your Southern or Northern day?

Awesome - good luck!
Are you doing Washington with your Southern or Northern day?

Southern Day......Isolation, Washington, Monroe, Ike, Pierce and Jackson (maybe...if not staying at Mizpah tentsite for the night). Not sure if making it to Ethan Pond this day.