Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little help?

Gonna do Mahoosuc Notch to Grafton Notch. Need an early morning breakfast in Gorham/Bethel before bumping along the Success Pond Road. White Mountain Cafe doesn't open 'til 7:00; I think we oughter get started earlier than that. So, what beats Dunkin' or McDonald's in the 6:00 hour? Ideally, it'd be like Peg's in Lincoln or Patches in Glen or the ever-changing place just south of Storybook Inn on Route 16 (at the turn there), or the Upstairs place in North Conway, kinda like that. What time does the cafe at Pinkham Notch start serving? Otherwise, it's eggermuffins at the drive-thru in Gorham.

Little help?

Thanks. In return, I will post at least one grainy photo, no circles or arrows.

Could be the Eastern Depot at the corner of Unity and Hutchins St. in Berlin. 752-1505....about a mile before Success Pond Rd...old train station...think they open early to cater to the workers at the biomass project...there's also another new one in Berlin on Main St. near NE Credit Union, think it's called Guildy's (sp??)...open at 10 PM overnite to 2 PM so you could go there any time during the nite!! then continue up Main St. to the 12th St. bridge and take a right to get on Hutchins St., go south a ways to get to Success Pond Rd....

Thank you!

===============

10/28, Update:

Thanks a ton to responders, who clarified these options:
--Eastern Depot, Berlin;
--Welsh's, Gorham;
Could also add
--The Crossroads Diner, Bethel;
--The Wagon Wheel, Jefferson.

Also, we stayed at the value-priced and quite adequate Pleasant River Motel in Bethel on Route 2. And, as you descend Route 2 from Randolph into Gorham, note the trooper watching to see if you slow to 30mph from a highway/hill combo of at least 55. Even more, Peg's in Lincoln (Sunday drive-out) was closed for shoulder-season vaca, and the Sunny Day diner was excellent instead.

Now, the truth was that we ended up not eating at any of these (on Saturday), but doing one of the many Dunkin' Donuts options (Bethel, Gorham, see also McDonald's and most gas stations) because of the driving necessary to tag our end-points: Getting the Mahoosucs requires a lot of work! So we couldn't really afford the time for sitting down. As it was, we were driving by 5:30 and didn't start hiking 'til 8:15, including ten miles of lovely Success Pond Road. It was also a thrill retrieving the cars at the end of the day. At least the Notch is so cool that it compensates completely.

Mr. Pizza with the Sox playing a World Series game made it all okay at the end (around 8:30pm).

Thanks again for the tips, they won't be wasted!

Last edited:
Thank you!

===============

10/28, Update:

Thanks a ton to responders, who clarified these options:
--Eastern Depot, Berlin;
--Welsh's, Gorham;
Could also add
--The Crossroads Diner, Bethel;
--The Wagon Wheel, Jefferson.

Also, we stayed at the value-priced and quite adequate Pleasant River Motel in Bethel on Route 2. And, as you descend Route 2 from Randolph into Gorham, note the trooper watching to see if you slow to 30mph from a highway/hill combo of at least 55. Even more, Peg's in Lincoln (Sunday drive-out) was closed for shoulder-season vaca, and the Sunny Day diner was excellent instead.

Now, the truth was that we ended up not eating at any of these (on Saturday), but doing one of the many Dunkin' Donuts options (Bethel, Gorham, see also McDonald's and most gas stations) because of the driving necessary to tag our end-points: Getting the Mahoosucs requires a lot of work! So we couldn't really afford the time for sitting down. As it was, we were driving by 5:30 and didn't start hiking 'til 8:15, including ten miles of lovely Success Pond Road. It was also a thrill retrieving the cars at the end of the day. At least the Notch is so cool that it compensates completely.

Mr. Pizza with the Sox playing a World Series game made it all okay at the end (around 8:30pm).

Thanks again for the tips, they won't be wasted!

I think you mean The Water Wheel in Jefferson. I've eaten there a few times and I found it to be overrated. It's crowded and a bit pricey for breakfast. I'm not hard to please when it comes to food but I did not think the food was all that good.

I did have a very good breakfast in Jefferson at a little tiny market on Route 2 called Hometown Market & Grill. I had a great omlette w/home fries for cheap $. The only negative was the place is a one person operation. The same guy takes your order then goes in back to cook it up then serves you and bills you. He's a great cook but has no help at all. If you can get there very early he'll get you served up fast.

Hope this helps.

I think you mean The Water Wheel in Jefferson. I've eaten there a few times and I found it to be overrated. It's crowded and a bit pricey for breakfast. I'm not hard to please when it comes to food but I did not think the food was all that good.

I did have a very good breakfast in Jefferson at a little tiny market on Route 2 called Hometown Market & Grill. I had a great omlette w/home fries for cheap $. The only negative was the place is a one person operation. The same guy takes your order then goes in back to cook it up then serves you and bills you. He's a great cook but has no help at all. If you can get there very early he'll get you served up fast.

Hope this helps.

D'Oh! Thanks!

The Hometown Market and Grill recently closed, unfortunately...

Sorry to hear that. The place was probably the best kept secret in Jefferson.

I can't say I am too surprised though. As great as the breakfast was he wasn't doing all that much business. Being a one person operation people would walk out if they didn't get served quickly.

I was just going to say the spaghett8i shed is the best place in the whole lot, but they are so into localism that they actually lock the door sometimes to keep out out of towners when its allready full. and if you do go in there, your better off getting good servic3 if your not on your phone and talking about wine and cheese......I got locked out even when I lived there and came often,lol. but the sheppards pie served in the pyrex pan is unreal. Chequers pizza in Tamworth is EXCELLENT. The scallops are top notch. its not cheap but its not expensive. say 9-16 a plate.the buffalo wings at mr pizza in gorham are legendary. The Thai place and Indian place in north Conway are excellent, especially the Indian place. some of the best places arent real restuarants at all. sadly ive seen them come and go. their used to be a little gas station north, outside of woodstock that made the best sandwhiches, hot on the grill with custom marinades, and the fresh off the grill breakfast sandwhiches in bartlett at the mobil were to die for, but they are also done with that; they just give you chilled ones now. The best place now is in Sandwhich, but htats only if your getting lunch or breakfast late in the day. they have a killer buffalo pizza and other stuff; the sandwhich general store; all frsh local meats and veggies mostly. there's also a good restaurant there down the street. every where else is overpriced and then you pay meals tax on top of it........the bloated preservative ladden belly that is. gone are the days of perfect juicy Leno burgers and fresh ingredients at small business.......welchs in gorham for breakfast. they have weird hours now but they are just great.

Last edited:
In Bethlehem, the pinkish red restaurant at the intersection 302 & 142 has reopened. This time it's "Sage". Previously "Tara" then "Root".
There specialty, again, is locally sourced food. Upstairs the bar is nice. The Gruyere Quesadilla and Spring Rolls were very good.
I had Iron Mikes in a can served by Mike.

I didn't go thru the 100's of replies but I want to plug Cantalano's Pizzeria in Twin mountain on 302. Wife and I hiked middle and south Carter Sunday and we were running late yet starving. We didn't have time for a real sit down restaurant type meal and my wife remembered driving by a pizzeria at the Living Waters campground. I started thinking about a nice big Steak and cheese sub. We hit gold!!!! They slow roast a rib eye roast then shave it for their steak subs. It was the best one I've ever had and I'm pretty much a steak and cheese snob. It takes a damn good sub to make me happy. This one was awesome!!!! Lots of other stuff there too but I'm going for the steak and cheese from now on. It's call ribeye and cheese sandwich.

Catalanos seems to have a new owner every year or two. Most years good but some years not as good. Unless things have changed, the sub prices were not inexpensive, they were good quality but a step up from the deli next to Fabyans. They do seem to have consistent pizza and the pricing is bit more inline.

My niece wants to eat Chinese food and for various reasons that must be in Lincoln/Woodstock. Though I live in the area I have never eaten at either Chieng Garden or Imperial Palace Restaurant ... is either meaningfully better than the other?

Many thanks.

... in Lincoln/Woodstock. either Chieng Garden or Imperial Palace Restaurant ...

I'm not familiar with Imperial Palace. I haven't been to Chieng Garden in over a year, but they're good. If you have a hankering for Chinese, there are lots of good choices there. I'm pretty sure I've had their Szechuan green beans, because I order them everywhere, and I don't recall being disappointed.

Almost There Pub, just south of Rt 112 Rt 16 intersection. So named 'cause northbounders on Rt 16 are "almost" to Conway. Dine there in style after any hike on the Rt 16 side of the whites. Biker bar...almost. Full menu, $2 PBRs. The cook at this place is so tough she wears Dog Tags in case some guy gets served a too-well-done burger and storms the kitchen. Been there many times. Jerry (Tex) knows your name and has a cold one at the ready. Always left full and well entertained by local color. I'm going back, but I'm not the classiest guy you'll ever see on the trail...

Almost There Pub, just south of Rt 112 Rt 16 intersection. So named 'cause northbounders on Rt 16 are "almost" to Conway. Dine there in style after any hike on the Rt 16 side of the whites.

I second this endorsement. The menu is more varied than you might expect and the quality and prices are good.

Somewhat in the same vein is Jake's Seafood, about 5 miles to the south, on the same side of Rt 16, in Ossipee. Lots of good seafood selections and excellent, reasonably priced margaritas.

Last edited:
I second this endorsement. The menu is more varied than you might expect and the quality and prices are good.

Somewhat in the same vein is Zeke's Seafood, about 5 miles to the south, on the same side of Rt 16, in Ossipee. Lots of good seafood selections and excellent, reasonably priced margaritas.

I think that's "Jake's" Seafood.

If we are thinking the same place, I agree.

I had a surprisingly good fish sandwich in there once when my truck broke down nearby.

I was thinking that too but Jake's is about 23 miles from the center of North Conway. Never stopped at either but I drive Rte 16 quite a bit and Jake's parking lot is always packed when I drive by. Usually a good sign.

If we are thinking the same place, I agree.

I had a surprisingly good fish sandwich in there once when my truck broke down nearby.

Jake's it is - temporary brain cramp. The various seafood things we've tried there have all been good. Of their sides, the onion rings are outstanding - crisp but light - better than at any other place we've tried in that vicinity (which is all of them). They feature a variety of margaritas, served generously in pint glasses.

Almost There Pub, just south of Rt 112 Rt 16 intersection. So named 'cause northbounders on Rt 16 are "almost" to Conway. Dine there in style after any hike on the Rt 16 side of the whites. Biker bar...almost. Full menu, $2 PBRs. The cook at this place is so tough she wears Dog Tags in case some guy gets served a too-well-done burger and storms the kitchen. Been there many times. Jerry (Tex) knows your name and has a cold one at the ready. Always left full and well entertained by local color. I'm going back, but I'm not the classiest guy you'll ever see on the trail...

Another vote for Almost There. Food not fancy, but surprisingly good. Very popular with locals. Also, if you are heading up North on a Friday night there is a good blues/rock band that plays between 5-8. Don't let the biker vibe put you off. Most of the regular riders are older than me, and I am almost 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.