Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BEST post hike dinner I ever had was a cold, soggy pastrami special and a couple warm beers I had stashed in my truck in the Catskills one night. I had arrived at the trailhead late, hiked in the dark, got turned around, missed Jay H at the lean-to completely, thought I was lost, was ready to bivy in the trail when I suddenly arrived back at the trailhead...at that point the back of the truck, the pastrami and beer were better than any restaurant I had ever experienced. :)

The BEST post hike dinner I ever had was a cold, soggy pastrami special and a couple warm beers I had stashed in my truck in the Catskills one night. I had arrived at the trailhead late, hiked in the dark, got turned around, missed Jay H at the lean-to completely, thought I was lost, was ready to bivy in the trail when I suddenly arrived back at the trailhead...at that point the back of the truck, the pastrami and beer were better than any restaurant I had ever experienced. :)

HAHAHAHA, I remember that Chip. I was really weirded out by your no show, but spent the night by myself at the leanto and I remember the next day, I hiked out and drove down towards Denning to do High Falls and Beaver Kill Ridge, 2 peaks on the Catskill Hundred Highest.. :)

We need to get together sometime, it's been awhile. any winter plans?

jay

These are my favorites! From southwest, clockwise:

The Common Man, Ashland
The upstairs bar in winter is warm and cozy and full of climbers and skiers. Plop down on a couch with a bowl of hot soup and the challenge is to get up when it's time to leave. In the summer, go upstairs and out on the deck with a cold one. Free cheese and crackers while you wait.

The Common Man Express, Ashland (Mobil Station just off I-93)
This little gem serves up terrific cold and hot sandwiches. Take a menu so you can call ahead and pick it up ready to go.

Mad River Roasters, Campton
Just moments off I-93, this spot has my second-favorite coffee ever. Why go to DD's across the street when you can get real craft-roasted, expertly-brewed java? Okay, I confess, I've thrown some pre-hike favorites in here. :)

Woodstock Inn / Station Brew Pub, Woodstock
We all know this one. Their own brewery beer, good food, great big crowds if you don't get there early. Several different dining rooms as well as the big bar area. Be careful you don't find yourself in the fancy restaurant up front. It's good, but pricy and overkill for post-hike food.

Truants Taverne, Woodstock
When the Woodstock is too full, this place usually has a shorter line and equally good burgers. Mainstream beer, good if you don't care for the Woodstock's own brew, but more of a bar atmosphere, I feel.

Peg's, Woodstock
Okay, it's a breakfast place, not post-hike dinner, but they open ultra-early at 5am and have all the classic diner-style breakfasts for rock-bottom prices.

White Mountain Bagel, Lincoln
Also not a post-hike dinner place, but I really like the bagels and coffee. Yummy egg sandwiches and panini, too. Open at 6:30am for the early starter.

Half-Baked & Fully Brewed, Lincoln
Hot coffee or cocoa are tasty, and the soups are out of this world. Try the chicken enchilada soup after a cold winter hike or ski. They also have a huge assortment of ready-to-heat handmade frozen meals to bring back to your condo or camper.

Munroe's, Twin Mountain
A sit-down breakfast/lunch gem, they open for a reputably delicious dinner on Friday and Saturday nights.

Mr. Pizza, Gorham
A *lot* more than just pizza, with cold Tuckerman Ale on tap, this is a perennial favorite good for all.

White Mountain Café, Gorham
Another pre-hike breakfast favorite, with excellent grilled bagel sandwiches. Home of the iced coffee ice cube. Not necessarily expedient, but tasty.

You better know where 'cuz I'm not telling
We keep this one quiet because it's the best sit-down breakfast around. Weather turn bad or too hung over? This eclectic spot has the food for you. Shh. We don't want hourlong waits there!

Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewing Company, N Conway
Craft brewed beer and bbq, plus a full menu of everything else for your companions. Extremely family friendly - I always see lots of kids in there and one of the dining room TV's was on Sponge Bog last time I was there. I always stop there when I can.

White Mountain Cider Company, Bartlett
Okay, I confess I haven't been there yet, but look at the online menu and the reviews. This is a high-end place for sure, but it looks oh so incredibly good. I plan to try out the cider doughnuts today. :)

Café Noche, Conway
My favorite Mexican in New Hampshire. The chimichanga (basically a deep-friend burrito) goes down so nicely after a long hike, especially with a margarita chaser. The link is currently broken, but it's the big purple house on the east side of 16, can't miss it.

Met Coffee House, N Conway
One of the longest lines we've ever stood in, but they use Carrabassett Coffee, my #1 favorite, made up extremely well. The only place that has Carrabassett that does it better is the Orange Cat Cafe in Kingfield, ME, across from the roasters themselves. :)

Yankee Smokehouse, Ossipee
It's not my favorite, but it's decent BBQ, and it goes down nicely after a day of hiking.

Outside NH:
The Real BBQ Bob, Bethel, ME
Best BBQ I've had in New England. It's the scary-looking orange trailer in the Good Food Store parking lot on the side of Rte 2, just west of Sunday River Road. Don't worry about the sauces, the meat is smoked to perfection as it is. Ribs and pulled pork, oh my, and the baked beans are loaded with as much meat as bean.

Sunday River Brewing, Bethel, ME
Good beer, decent food. A few years ago they reduced their menu to more of a pub list than a full family dinner selection, but it's still worth a stop if the weather's lousy or you just want a sit-down experience instead of BBQ Bob's.

The Rack, Carrabassett, ME
At the head of the Sugarloaf Access Road is meat and beer. Not a pub atmosphere, more of rustic dining. Can be a bit drafty in winter so bring your coat to the table. Food is very, very good and will warm you up for the drive home any time of year.

Orange Cat Cafe, Kingfield, ME
Some of the best fresh, healthy, sandwiches and soups we've ever had, plus that #1 Carrabassett Coffee. You must stop here. Closes midafternoon so get your hike done early or stop for breakfast on your way home.

The Garlic, Killington, VT
On the access road, open year-round, this spot lives up to its name. You can smell the garlic from the parking lot. Every meal starts with hot bread out of the oven with a full bulb of roasted garlic and a decanter of oil for your spreading and dipping pleasure. The lamb chops in garlic butter are a treat.

Up for Breakfast, Manchester, VT
Stop here for the best breakfast anywhere. Blueberry venison sausage with enormous pancakes? The lightest, fluffiest fresh egg omelets stuffed with cheeses and veggies without compare? You might wait for a seat in this tiny establishment, but it's worth every minute. You might have to digest a bit before you hike afterward.

WOW!!! Thank you for that list, it will be very usefull for me.

Ditto on the White Mtn Bagel, we went there almost every morning, very friendly lady behind the counter and good bagels of course.

Jay

We are on Gluten free diets (nothing made from wheat, rye or barley), so it can be something of a challenge to find a comfortable place with any selection.
The last three weeks we've eaten at Thai 9 in Lincoln. If you want something a little different it's been very good and quite reasonable. Entrees are in the $12-14 range. We were able to change out of the hiking clothes a couple of those times, but once just changed the shirt and went in.
On the North Conway end we like to eat at Rafferty's. We were recently stuck in traffic on our way to Rafferty's and stopped to eat at May Kelly's and had a good steak. Selection for us was limited but the server was helpful and made sure our selections met our dietary needs.
Of the three I mentioned, Thai 9 definitely is our favorite.

Mostly what they all said

In Conway Moat Mt is good..great beer plenty of food..

Mae Kelleys better food

Gorham..Mr Pizza hard to beat though the Italian Market there has some pretty good take out stuff

Sugarloaf..The Rack..have done well at the White Wolf in Stratton

Lincoln..Frankly, I like the Gypsy Cafe as well as anyplace there..good mixed food..decent wine list

Half Baked and Fully Brewed would be my favorite store of all time if it were in my backyard..great variety and stuff...and Iced Coffeeee

Woodstock..prefer Truants to Woodstock Inn though local crowd a bit more friendly at Woodstock Inn

The Mad River Coffee shop is great but counts as pre hike as they close by 2 o'clock which sadly leaves DD Iced for the ride home

In Sandwich the Corner House hard to beat..friendly cozy spot with fine restaurant or decent pub menu..good wines here

And ..of course.. CMan Ashland..food can be a little sketchy at times but always filling..good beers..great atmosphere..many hikers here...

If you're in the North Conway area, try May Kelley's...high quality food, low key atmosphere, avoid "cool people" at the other nearby cool people hangs. Sundays are the best...locals play traditional Irish music in the tavern for beer and food. Mary and Pat will treat you well. Shepard's pie...meatloaf...lamb stew...serious...Not recomended for the cool people. :)

Mad River Tavern, Campton

About a mile off I-93 on exit 28 on the left. This is probably my favorite place to stop for a beer and a burger after a backpacking or hiking trip in the White Mountains. It doesn't hurt that my house is nearby. They have a decent dining area if you perfer a more traditional dining experience. They also have a small seating/dining area in the bar section if you want a more casual feel with lots of locals, TV and chatter. The beer selection is great, so you have your choice of several local micro-brews as well as the more common stuff. The cheeseburgers are awesome, big, thick, juicy and come prepared a variety of ways. The fries are fresh hand cut potatoes. My favorite is swordfish [they have various options] and garlic mashed potatoes. It's a great local place that has been around quite a few years. I highly recommend it for a quick post-hike bite and brew if you're in the area.

Had dinner at a new place in Twin Mountain tonight - Brenda's Kitchen - on Rte 3, 1 mile north of the intersection with Rte 302. Great Buffalo Wings! Pizza, burgers, and fried seafood at the moment.

It is a Tavern with a full liquor license and a pool table. The owners plan to expand the menu as the buisiness grows.

They are open 11 to 11. Will be a favorite this Winter !

Had dinner at a new place in Twin Mountain tonight - Brenda's Kitchen - on Rte 3, 1 mile north of the intersection with Rte 302. Great Buffalo Wings! Pizza, burgers, and fried seafood at the moment.

It is a Tavern with a full liquor license and a pool table. The owners plan to expand the menu as the buisiness grows.

They are open 11 to 11. Will be a favorite this Winter !

That's good to know, the area could use some tourist $$$$$

My favorites around the Whites:

Western White Mountains
#1 Common Man (Ashland or Lincoln)
#2 Mad River Tavern (near Waterville Valley)
#3 Woodstock Station (Woodstock)
#4 Polly's Pancake Parlor (Sugar Hill) - WARNING!: very expensive and breakfast only

Eastern White Mountains
#1 Flatbread (N. Conway)
#2 Moat Mtn Brewery (N. Conway)
#3 Cafe Noche (N. Conway)
#4 Peaches (N. Conway) - breakfast & lunch only

Other OK restaurants I've tried:
~ Delaneys
~ Fabyan's
~ Sunny Day Diner
~ Red Parka
~ Elviro's
~ Bill & Bob's

Anyone still miss the Mooseland Grill? Twin Mountain has never been the same.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned in other threads before, but the White Wolf Inn, in Stratton, Maine hits the spot--specifically, their Wolf Burger, which includes, but is not limited to a half-pound of hamburger, bacon, a sausage patty, mushrooms, onions, & cheese.

The late Han Dynasty, in Gorham, was not necessarily good, but it was always interesting.

In Stowe, Vermont, the Shed Brewery can't be beat, but the Matterhorn is a close runner up.

Anyone still miss the Mooseland Grill? Twin Mountain has never been the same.

What a silly question....all the time. Every time we drive by the location and every time we're thinking of where to get a pizza. One of the women who worked there gave me the nickname, Lilly, and one of the expressions on the poster that was in the woman's bathroom has become a classic for my friends and me. (Any guesses?)

I'll throw in my votes for Truant's, Gypsy Cafe, Moat Mtn, Comman Man and Giovanni's.
You can get a GREAT burger at The Black Cap Grille in North Conway. A little fancy, but worth cleaning up a bit for. And its right next to EMS.

Our Picks

Here are some of our favorites that we would recommend:

Jackson area - Yesterday's, Bea's Cafe, Red Fox (2 for 1 pizza night on Tuesdays), Scarecrow Pub, Tuckerman's Tavern (at the New England Inn); best pot roast ever, Red Parka, Island Chef (best Cuban sandwich).

Franconia area - Sunny Day Diner, Peg's, Flapjack's ($$), Polly's Pancake Parlor ($$$) Woodstock Station, Fratello's, Common Man, Mad River Tavern.

Has anyone ever eaten at Shalimar's in N. Conway? Looking to try a good Indian Restaurant on next trip.

If anyone out there is looking for excellent smoked bacon or smoked pepperoni, check out the Brick Store in Bath.

Donna and Mike:)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever eaten at Shalimar's in N. Conway? Looking to try a good Indian Restaurant on next trip.

Donna and Mike:)

We've eaten there a couple of times. It's a decent little place, friendly service, northern Indian cuisine. It's not the best Indian food I've had (gotta come to Providence for that), but it's a treat to be able to enjoy a nice curry after a hike.

I'll Second That

Of course all the regulars have been noted (several times) but I was glad to see a couple of my personal finds got a mention, so I'll second them.

Lucky Dog (Plymouth) - if I'm hiking with my family anywhere nearby, this is where we go. They even have make your own smores for dessert; sterno is not the greatest for roasting marshmallows, but the novelty of it is worth a shot.

Shalimar (Conway) - I'm no expert on Indian food, but we enjoyed it here.

And count me in for missing the Mooseland Grill as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.