Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this thread is way old, but I'll contribute anyway. It's more of a pre-hike breakfast sort of place, but I just discovered the White Mountain Cafe in Gorham. Great breakfast sandwiches and burritos as well as baked goods and hot drinks.

Remember Mooseland in Twin Mountain? And they had said they were going to rebuild after the fire. Was it as good there as I recall?
I noticed some construction the other day, but it looked more like a residence. As an eatery - it was convenient. Perhaps the only place in the area where several of your friends could get together after a hike. I seem to recall cigarette smoke drifting in from another room? Maybe where a pool table was located? Anyone remember?

I noticed some construction the other day, but it looked more like a residence. As an eatery - it was convenient. Perhaps the only place in the area where several of your friends could get together after a hike. I seem to recall cigarette smoke drifting in from another room? Maybe where a pool table was located? Anyone remember?

Better for beer after hike. I took my young nephew there for lunch just before it burned and made him promise not to discuss it with his mother or aunt :eek:

Better for beer after hike. I took my young nephew there for lunch just before it burned and made him promise not to discuss it with his mother or aunt :eek:
I shared a few sips of my nearly of age son here. I hoped it would show I was empathetic. I think I did. The waitress called me Lilly and I called her Joanne...the bar tender, Bob. None were true. The new construction, Kevin, looks like a home in a nearby lot. I always look as I drive by, just in case. Signed, Lilly.

I know it wasn't much of a sit-down true dining experience, but when you needed a handy, good tastin', pastrami grinder with fries after hiking Waumbek, it was nice to rely on the Hometown Market & Grill, which effective Dec 31, 2012 is closed. Just saw it on this weeks online Democrat.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the Littleton Diner is one of my favorites. Food's decent and timely, great variety (and even their plain old spaghetti and meatballs is delicious - pasta was perfectly al dente). Portions are good-sized and reasonably priced.
And for dessert, who can resist Chutter's, with the world's longest candy counter?

I realize this thread is way old, but I'll contribute anyway. It's more of a pre-hike breakfast sort of place, but I just discovered the White Mountain Cafe in Gorham. Great breakfast sandwiches and burritos as well as baked goods and hot drinks.

+1 for WMC in Gorham. Staff is super friendly, coffee is awesome, it's a relaxing atmosphere, and I love their breakfast sandwiches (I like the egg/bacon/cheese on panini with baby spinach - beat's the H out of a McMuffin anyday IMO).

Cold Mountain Cafe in Bethlehem, had several excellent meals there.
Libby's Bistro in Gorham - expensive but excellent. Open only Friday and Saturday nites, I think.

Has anyone eaten at the William Tell Restaurant recently (after the change in ownership)?

Mike and I ate there last week, I'd rank it as the best meal I've had in the last 5 years. Definitely fine dining, but they didn't seem to care that we were likely smelly and still in our hiking clothes. The service was great, and as stated, the food was fantastic. Living in such a food-centric city like Portland, I was surprised at the quality of the meal. It just goes to show, you can get great meals in the middle of nowhere! :D

Last edited:
Drove by the old Whittier House yesterday on Rte. 16 in Ossissippi and found they have closed and that Hobbs Tavern will be opening soon. Looked on their Facebook page and saw that they have been doing a lot of rennovating and energy-conserving changes. The name comes from the original family name of the farmhouse.

Remember Mooseland in Twin Mountain? And they had said they were going to rebuild after the fire. Was it as good there as I recall?

That was my favorite as well, but it burned down because of my "aura." Well maybe I should explain. I have this eerie situation which causes restaurants to go up in flames shortly after I visit them. And no, it has nothing to do with arson. To wit:

1. A diner in Hubbardston MA burned down a week after I went there.
2. The Barre, MA hotel and restaurant burned down 2 weeks after I was there.
3. The same Hubbardston diner (see #1) was rebuilt...so I went there again and it burned down AGAIN a few weeks later.
4. A Pizza place in Templeton, MA burned down about 3 weeks after I ate there.
5. Another restaurant on the Athol / Orange, MA line burned down about 10 days after I ate there.
6. The Mooseland Grill in Twin Mt burned down about 2 weeks after I visited.

So in the vein of hiker safety, I will refrain from mentioning any of my favorite restaurants in the Whites, as I'd hate for anyone to be a conflagration victim. So far this aura has not seemed to follow me to Arizona (knock on wood).

White Mountain Cupcakery in North Conway. And yes, cupcakes can be a main course if you order enough of them.

Flat Breads for pizza in North Conway. They are on the pricey side for pizza, but it's good. Also, I rarely stop for dinner on the way home from hiking unless I was planning to stop for dinner with the hiking group. Usually everyone is heading home.

I'll try Mr Pizza next time I'm in Gorham. Thanks one and all for this and other recommendations.

Moat Mtn is also good, as is the Scarecrow, but it's been years since I've been to either one.

--Mike

I eat at Gordi’s when I stay in Lincoln.

Regarding Munro’s in Twin Mountain, in August 2011 anyway, the place was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, the two nights I was staying nearby.
Munro's lost my biz a couple of years ago when they stopped taking credit cards,maybe they are now?the mountain bean has fresher food and nicer service[if they are still open]

Status
Not open for further replies.