Tubbs Flex Alps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Has anyone got experience with the new Tubbs Flex Alps?

I like by Tubbs Ventures but they're a bit "recreational" and I've pushed them more then I should on some steep sections. I know there are a lot of MSR fans here but I can't say my current Tubbs haven't worked well for what they are.

Thanks...

It's a bit early to be asking if people have experience with these snowshoes, seeing as they were just released this year. That said, from what I've read many of the common failure points on the MSRs have been addressed in the Tubbs Flex ALP series. I'm sure they'll hold up marvelously on steep terrain.

I think they look like great snowshoes, but I'm not excited enough about them at this point to switch over from my Denali Evos.

Neither am I.
I think I'll wait a year or so until they're a bit more popular and pick up a pair on Ebay for cheap and see what they're like. I'm sure quite a few someones will get a pair for Christmas this year, not use them, and then try to unload them.

Yea.. But I need to switch over to something soon... Maybe I'll grab an early present for myself and, hopefully, not want to unload them...

..and if I get them before Feb 1 I get a free pair of really cool Optic Nerve "Roger That" sunglasses. I suppose I could put those on ebay...

Last edited:
I've got a pair here in front of me, they look great. Anxiously awaiting snow/winter. My favorite time of year to be out on the mountains.

They received a Gear of the Year Award from Outside Mag.

I'll check to see if EMS will include them in their rental pool this year.

.(I know that the Tubbs have the televator bar like the Denali Ascents [mo' money!], but I hardly use that feature on the pair of Ascents I have. It's not worth the additional bucks to me.)

In my experience the televator makes a substantial difference on a steady uphill climb especially if it's steep. On the other hand, if you are in mixed terrain with ups, downs, level, it's not worth the trouble of putting the bar up and down. By the way, did you ever try walking down hill with the bar up?:eek:

Do they stack/pack well on your pack? That's a big plus for the Denali-style binding...

Tim

They stack just as my Denali shoes do and slightly better due to the toe cages. I'm able to quickly lash a strap through the toe cages and then one around the shoes down low. Now all we need is snow! :)

Last edited:
In my experience the televator makes a substantial difference on a steady uphill climb especially if it's steep. On the other hand, if you are in mixed terrain with ups, downs, level, it's not worth the trouble of putting the bar up and down. By the way, did you ever try walking down hill with the bar up?:eek:

If you're in a group, have the person behind you put them up with their pole. It's also good incentive not to be last in line. I've gotten to where I can put my own up in about 5 seconds per shoe, using my pole, and down in 1-2 seconds. They are worth it on a grind like the Hancocks, or the Ammo.

Tim