NH48 Winter Record Attempt 1/16/10 -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mats, when I met you on Isolation in October (I had just come down and you were going up) you said you were doing the grid. So the "grid" is now all 48 in a week?....crap, how am I supposed to keep up with that.

Good luck on this quest and may you break the record with the wind at your back and sunny skies every day:D.

Weather might just be perfect...

Ya know, I was looking yesterday at longrange forecasts and thinking "next week would be great for anyone doing some serious fast hiking in this area!" Then I stumbled on your plans. Looking very good with warmish (but probably not tropical) temps and dry stable weather for a good week or so, after a possible coastal storm around Sunday that probably will not affect the North Country anyway. Good luck and enjoy!
Weatherman

Mats, when I met you on Isolation in October (I had just come down and you were going up) you said you were doing the grid. So the "grid" is now all 48 in a week?....crap, how am I supposed to keep up with that.

Good luck on this quest and may you break the record with the wind at your back and sunny skies every day:D.

Just piled up on sunscreen :)

I don't know if anyone is working on the 48x52 grid.....it would be more of a Swedish thing since annual planning in Sweden often are planned around the number of the week in they year (ie week 26 and 27 we are doing bla bla bla etc)........MEB is however finishing up her 48x12 grid in March and might be the 11th person to do so unless someone else finishes the next couple of months.

Meb

Meb-who is meb???? Any relation to robohiker???

forecast is looking good. just put a fresh coat of mink oil on my trekking poles. anybody have a good glog recipe?

anybody have a good glog recipe?

Oh yes! It's spelled "glögg" by the way ;)

This one is pretty good:
4-ounces dried apples
3-ounces seedless raisins
3-ounces prunes
1-ounce dried orange peel (pommerance)
2-ounces almonds
1-ounce cardamom
1-ounce cloves
1-ounce cinnamon sticks
1 cup granulated sugar
2 bottles port
1 bottle claret or dry red wine
Brandy
Almonds, raisins and cloves (optional garnishes)

Day before, tie fruits, almonds and spices in cheesecloth; put in large pot. Add sugar, port and claret or dry red wine. Bring to boil; then simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 1/2 bottles. Pour into glass jar; cover; cool for 24 hours.

Next day, remove spice bag from wine.
Heat 1 part wine with 1 part brandy; do not boil.
Serve in punch glasses. If desired, garnish each serving with a couple of almonds, raisins and cloves.

This one is pretty good:
4-ounces dried apples
3-ounces prunes
2-ounces almonds
1-ounce cardamom
1-ounce cloves
1-ounce cinnamon sticks
1 cup granulated sugar
2 bottles port
Brandy

Day before, tie fruits, almonds and spices in cheesecloth; put in large pot. Add sugar, port and claret or dry red wine. Bring to boil; then simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 1/2 bottles. Pour into glass jar; cover; cool for 24 hours.

Serve in punch glasses. If desired, garnish each serving with a couple of almonds, raisins and cloves.

Don't forgot to pour a little akvavit in there once it's served in the glass. ;)

This one is pretty good:
4-ounces dried apples
3-ounces prunes
2-ounces almonds
1-ounce cardamom
1-ounce cloves
1-ounce cinnamon sticks
1 cup granulated sugar
2 bottles port
Brandy

Mats, did you do the day before part when you served us at the Inn????:eek:
It sure was yummy, I do remember that!!:D

Good luck on your attempt! I will not be hiking between Garfield and Galehead as I'd said earlier. Realized it's an 18 mile r/t, and am not ready for that yet. Carrigain via SRT well broken 1/11/10. Didn't see any recent tracks coming up Desolation.
Tom, Field and Willey all broken as of 1/12, but some drifting had covered sections without a trace. See TC report 1/12.

have fun dudes. sounds like a good time.
hopefully robohiker broke out all the obscure trails for you guys.
that glogg crap sounds pretty nasty!

T minus 41 hours......

Weather is looking very promising although Washington might have strong winds to begin with so Isolation and Wildcats-Moriah seems to be the more likely starting day right now.

Farmer is stomping out Owl's Head today......and our thoughts are with the people of Haiti.......

We are trying to figure out if the three of us can fit in one car tomorrow afternoon for the drive up. Most of my stuff is already up there and most of Jason's stuff is going in Gillian's car so I think we might have a chance.

Some things I'm bringing:
* 16 pairs of gloves
* 4 pairs of winter boots
* 3 backpacks (racepack- 300 c.i.), Osprey Atmos 35 and 50
* 3 pairs of snowshoes
* about 30 pairs of socks
* 2 pairs of skis (special Kahtola compatible short (78cm) skis and skate skis)
* One tent (Black Diamond Lighthouse) for emergency overnight
* 30-35 long and short sleeved baselayer shirts
* 6 pairs of tights and long johns
* 8 waterbottles with insulators
* Food and Beverage thermoses
* One Team Shake and Bake T-shirt

wouldn't it be more appropriate to bring 48 pairs of socks, mats?

Most of my stuff is already up there and most of Jason's stuff is going in Gillian's car so I think we might have a chance.

Some things I'm bringing:
* 16 pairs of gloves
* 4 pairs of winter boots
* 3 backpacks (racepack- 300 c.i.), Osprey Atmos 35 and 50
* 3 pairs of snowshoes
* about 30 pairs of socks
* 2 pairs of skis (special Kahtola compatible short (78cm) skis and skate skis)
* One tent (Black Diamond Lighthouse) for emergency overnight
* 30-35 long and short sleeved baselayer shirts
* 6 pairs of tights and long johns
* 8 waterbottles with insulators
* Food and Beverage thermoses
* One Team Shake and Bake T-shirt

With a list like that (16 pairs of gloves!?!) you must have a storage unit up there as a basecamp...

Good luck fellas!

With a list like that (16 pairs of gloves!?!) you must have a storage unit up there as a basecamp...

Good luck fellas!

Just borrowing a house in Randolph.....

Of the 16 pairs gloves there are two pairs of mittens actually......

And Leaf: If you add the socks, skis and gloves you get 48.....