NH48 Winter Record Attempt 1/16/10 -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hurrah! great work, esp navigating the pierce-jackson network of trails. I enjoyed observing your organized chaos last night. it takes a lot of prep to shake and bake. hope you smelled better tonight.

Farmer's fav;

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
We gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm east bound, just watch 'ol Bandit run

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes

pacing

Farmer's fav;

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
We gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm east bound, just watch 'ol Bandit run

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes

SO thats whats going through your head and keeping you paced!!! excellent-

Way to go guys. Keep shakin' and bakin'!!!!! Doesn't look like a horrible amount of new snow to contend with this morning, so hopfully it doesn't impede your progress too much.

Stay strong and continued good luck,

Jen

SO thats whats going through your head and keeping you paced!!! excellent-

Just when you think you don't have anything left to give, let that little ditty run through your head a few dozen times. If you don't muster any motivation from it, the accompanying thoughts form the movie are sure to give you a chuckle.

It's been in my .sig file for a long time
|
|
V

This is amazing ...

... and inspiring. I can't wait for the next update. Best of luck and God's speed.

The crew started at around 7am and did Waumbek in about 2hrs 45mins. MEB greeted them as they were coming down - they were in good spirits and having a wicked awesome time!! Hiking Cabot right now and then they are heading over to Hale....

Go team shake & bake!

gg

A group of us help pack-out Star King trail up to Waumbek on Saturday. Glad to see it was going for a noble cause! :D

Ricky-Bobby, Ricky-Bobby......WHOOOOOOOOOO Shake and Bake.......

Petch

Last edited:
Is there an updated plan on which peaks on what days? Did Tom-Field-Willey this morning - the storm dropped 4 of 5 inches of soft fluffy snow up high - shouldn't impact the attempt much. Certainly warm temps today!

Update

waumbek, cabot and hale done!!! 30 peaks to go. tomorrow garfield, franconia ridge and owls head.Our legs are feeling a little sore now but we like it in the PAIN CAVE!!!! shake and bake....

OK, a little summary so far:

Saturday: Isolation and Wildcats-Moriah
Beautiful day and we were charged up and did Iso in 4:26......repacked and went for Wildcat ski area. Wildcats went well but when we started up Carter Dome I got cramps in my leg so we stopped and refueled and I had some Himalayan pink salt. Ice bulge below North Carter in the dark was slightly interesting in that we flew over it and into the tress below but no injuries, Moriah was pretty nasty to break out. Went back Stont Brook. Long day.....

Sunday: Pressie traverse:
Northern pressies stunning....after Washington things deteriorated with the whiteout. We still moved swiftly until after Mizpah Spring. We met a party of four who couldn't make it through to Jackson......we told them "we are going" and we came to the wnd where everyone turned around. Jason had a GPS and slowly and painfully we made our way through the mess.....we spent 45-60 min on a 0.2 mile section....but finally made it to the bogs.....

Monday: Waumbeck, Cabot, Hale
Waumbeck went well and we did it in 2:45.....
Cabot wasn't broken out from the south so we had some work to do on this one. This one took 3:45.
Stopped by the cottage in Twin Mountain and Gillian and MEB joined us for Hale...started at 3:30 but we missed the Fire Warden cut-off and went at least 0.5 mile further up and we then turned back and couldn't believe we missed it.....relatively easy getting up from the last snowfall....just maybe 3-4 inches to stomp out. Refueling constantly is an issue....we are burning a lot of calories. We have little aches and pains but overall pretty good....

Tomorrow the goal is Garfield to Lafayette and then after FLume we bushwack to Owl's Head. Its a tough day and we have bail-out options in case it's not in us.....getting a good night's sleep tonight is key and taking care of feet......

Shake and Bake :)

Tomorrow the goal is Garfield to Lafayette and then after FLume we bushwack to Owl's Head. Its a tough day and we have bail-out options in case it's not in us.....getting a good night's sleep tonight is key and taking care of feet......
Remember to zip up the fly after tinkling and don't let the minikeg freeze. Don't disappoint!

-Dr. Wu

Hey Everyone....

Just got a call from Mats from Garfield. He is sufffering from some foot issues and decided to turn back after spending about an hour trying to resolve/minimize the discomfort. If his feet are feeling better tomorrow he may rejoin them. JF was having foot issues as well but was able to solve the problem by cutting a hole in his shoe. Both JF and Farmer are on their way to Lafayette.....more later when we get updates on their progess.

-MEB