Running Along Lucifer's Walkway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
The_Swede came up with the idea at some point last year to run the Devil’s Path in the Catskills as quickly as possible. It sounded like a great proposal, and an added bonus would be beating the unofficial fastest known time (8hr 12min by Artex, in 2007). After months of planning, and things not working out, we finally had the opportunity to give the trail a shot, and that opportunity was today!

After a night of carbo-loading and a semi-good sleep, we hit the western trailhead with high expectations. I was the noob of the trail, and Eric was on his third traverse, the previous one being quite speedy. Plus, even though I had been running every other day for the past month and a half, I hadn’t been in the mountains since the second week of April. I was a tad bit nervous!

We had a great start, and the sunrise cutting through the trees was quite lovely. However, after running for awhile, Eric began to feel nauseous, sadly enough. This became worse as the run/hike continued, and I felt very bad for him, especially since we had waited so long for this. At the Hunter lean-to, he decided he was going to take it slowly, and encouraged me to keep on going. We had agreed before the hike to continue on individually if one or the other had a problem, but it was still so selfless of him to encourage me, and I really appreciated it.

Off I ran towards the highway, and upon reaching it filled up my hydration bladder for the first time (I did a similar fill 2 more times, bringing my total water consumption to about 7 Nalgenes worth). I was carrying a rather heavy running pack, 15 ponds or so. But I wanted to have plenty of water, and my collection of Snickers bars, and my rain jacket, and my first-aid kit, and so on and so forth. The pack did, however, seem to become heavier as the day progressed.

Once past the highway I hit “the wall” hiking up Plateau. I seriously doubted that I would finish the hike in any sort of good time, and was ready to just hike the rest of the trail at a meandering pace. I tried to push through, though, and eventually made it to the summit (wherever that summit may be). From then on, I felt pretty darn good, and kept up a running pace on the flats and downhills, and a brisk hiking pace on the uphills. And man, were those uphills a beast! That is not an easy trail to run, my friends, as I’m sure many of you know!

At one point along the trail, I ran into a not-so-friendly porcupine. He was very cute, but was terrible at walking fast, and seemed desire to walk along the trail all the way to his undisclosed home. I tried to get him to move along faster, but to no avail. The thought certainly crossed my mind that this prickly little beast was going to spoil my entire speed-hiking efforts.
However, he eventually decided (with some more coaxing from me), and he was ready to head off the trail. What a relief for me. I wish that interesting animal encounters such as that would occur in less time-sensitive situations.

Before I knew it, I was on the summit of Indian Head. I had taken short breaks all along the way to soak in the views, and this was the final one (for the most part) of the day. I had suffered from no cramps whatsoever, and was surprised that I stayed hydrated in the scorching heat (91 degrees back at the car, with almost no breeze while running the eastern section of the trail). In hindsight, it was a great idea to do the easier section of the trail first. The sun was shielded from the mountains on my hike up, and I usually received more breeze on that side of the peaks.

While running down Indian Head I bumped into Eric, who had hitchhiked from the highway back to the car. It was great to see his smiling face again, and I was glad to hear that he was feeling better. After a quick chat, I began the final run back to the car. It turned into a run-for-awhile/walk-for-awhile deal, since I was pretty tired at that point. But finally, at 12:30:00pm exactly, I arrived back in the parking lot, with one small blister, and no other issues.

We left that morning at 5:05am, so that put me at 7 hours, 25 minutes; beating the previous time by 47 minutes! Even though there really wasn’t a competition, I was very pleased with the traverse, and it was nice to know my capabilities. Especially since I had a heavy-ish pack, ran it unsupported, ran it in a hot, hot day, and haven’t trail run in a month and a half. As far as I know, this now stands as the fastest known time for the Devil’s Path (24.2 miles, 8,000-9,000 vertical). If anyone knows of a faster time, please let me know. It’s really not that fast, though, and I know there are plenty of people on here who could crush it easily, but it was still fun to accomplish something.

It was even better to meet and hike with Eric, though! I’m sure that when he’s not having an off day, he’ll be back on the path running it faster than Devil tells a lie! Thanks, Eric!!

As usual, my pictures came out lame and crappy. But here is a small sampling, if only to prove that we were there:

P5260001.JPG

P5260002.JPG

P5260005.JPG

P5260006.JPG

P5260007.JPG

P5260010.JPG

Last edited:
Tyler, first of all . . . congratulations on your accomplishment! Even if you didn't set a record, it was still a pretty darn impressive feat, especially considering the heat, etc!

Secondly, I find all your Trip Reports thoroughly enjoyable which is perhaps saying a lot since I have very little familiarity with the places where you hike and can't relate to the peaks & trails you mention.:)

The Devil's Path is one of my favorite trails. Nice job. How were the nettles on the climb up towards Hunter? Annoying yet?

Thanks, all!

Ryan, you'll kick the crap out of that time, I'm sure. Have a blast!

Thanks, Tom!

As usual, you're too kind John! I'm glad you enjoy them, despite the lack of familiarity of the trails and locations.

Thank you, Jason. It's a crazy fun path for sure. The nettles actually weren't too bad at that section. I had my fun run-ins with them for the first 3 or so miles of the trail. They're certainly in full bloom now, lol.

I just realized from your photos that you cheated! You ended at the new parking lot, not the end of the road. So you have to add some time to that calculation! :D ;)

Wow,that is a fast time for the Devil's Path! Some of us back in 2004 from this site did a charity hike for the Brain Tumor society along the Devil's Path.I think hike my time was 5:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Any thoughts of going after Cave Dog's record in the Catskills? That still holds from 2002.I have not heard from many of those people from 2004,any still around or did they change their name like I did.Eric will be back and turn in a great time.Good going Tyler! Nice pictures also.

Last edited:
Cool way to start the summer. Congratulations ADK88!
There are lots of FKTs out there that need breaking... :rolleyes::D:cool:

:cool: Awesome report and accomplishment. No need to apologize for the photos you posted. I am always amazed that all you speed demons have time to take any photos on these fast treks.

I just realized from your photos that you cheated! You ended at the new parking lot, not the end of the road. So you have to add some time to that calculation! :D ;)
That is funny. But all trails change, and the new PA is effectively the new trailhead. At one time the trail / Prediger Rd was blazed all the way out to Platte Clove Rd (and may still be), and I doubt anybody ever started a DP traverse from there.

And then there have been some recent trail extenders in several new switchbacks. And there was that little loop on the chin of Indian Head that was added perhaps a decade ago or more. So it probably all washes out on the length of the trail.

Oh no, Tom! What a sad discovery :p I'm still content. Did they actually move the trail head to the current location with the new parking lot? Either way, I finished the trail before 12:30, since I had to take my camera out to take a picture of my watch. So maybe the 20 seconds that it took to do that would make up for it? haha.

Thanks, man!

Thanks, Hermit. Your hike of the path was for a much more noble cause. I have honestly never thought of going after Cave Dog's record. I really don't consider myself a trail runner, and figure that as soon as do something somewhat fast, a real trail runner will quickly come out and break it (as I expect to happen with the Devil's Path). It would take a huge amount of training, knowledge, and perseverance to be even close to Dave Dog's level. I doubt as though I will ever be up to that caliber. But who knows? A year ago I never even thought of trail running, and now I'm growing to love it. We shall see.

Haha, thanks! I figure that if I can find some obscure FKTs that people don't really know about, I might have a chance!

Thanks Mark! I can't really think of doing a run or hike without photos. I love the scenery and smells and views and all too much to not take the time to view them. That's probably one of the reasons that races don't interest me.

Thanks for the historical info, good to know!

Congrats, again, Tyler! It was great to finally meet you after months of planning. You definitely trained hard for this and it paid off! A legend is born!!

Here are a few helpful hints if you all want to keep up with Tyler, the Slayer of Satan:

1) Don't overeat the day before
2) Don't eat greasy gas station muffins for breakfast
3) Don't pull an all-nighter. Get a good night's sleep.
4) Train like the dickens
5) Hide rocks in the his pack when he's not paying attention

I'll be doing iliotibial band stretches for a while now. Along with my upset stomach, my knee started hurting as I was headed down Hunter. I knew it would only get worse, especially knowing how steep and rocky the east side of Plateau is. So I bailed! Two hitches later and I was back to Prediger road. A fellow in his 80s, from Saugerties, was on his way back home from a run at North South Lake when he offered me a ride. Boy, did he make me feel like a wuss. :eek:

After thanking the man for dropping me off, I wanted to greet Tyler on his way down Indian Head, so I slowly made my way up to the last (lowest) ledge. I chilled out for a while, contemplating the vastness of the Hudson Valley and the sharp rise of the Catskill escarpment, when I started hearing little pebbles rolling downhill like a miniature landslide. Tyler came barreling down his last mountain of the day. He looked as fresh as a spring chicken. Amazing work! After a brief chat, Tyler was on his way for a strong finish while I hobbled my way back down to the parking area. Good stuff! Again, congrats to Tyler for making the FKT for the Devil's Path. I'll be back there sometime to try it again but I doubt I'll be able to beat his record.

Thanks for the post, Eric! Option number 5 is certainly brilliant, I should have thought of that for other people I've hiked with in the past!

Oh, and I have complete confidence in your ability to beat that record! Try 1-4 for next time, you'll send the Devil to the lake of fire in a heartbeat!

Thanks, Blaze!

And thank you Tom for the info. That is a really cool site, I now have a lot less of my day looking though things on there :D

Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment in that heat and for someone who had never hiked the DP before. I've long used the DP as an endurance testing ground. Too old for speed, I'm planning to try the day hike/bicyle return loop again this year. Of course, I should clock in at about twice your time.