What's fun in Amherst, ma?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kayak/tubing the Deerfield River above Charlemont.

kayaking the Swift River out of Quabbin Reservoir

hiking the M & M trail or parts of the Holyoke Range

Climbing- Chapel Ledges in Ashfield...

Hey Bob, after you buy me those budweisers, let's go to chapel ledges.

Climbing the Farley Ledges just off Rt. 2 in Erving

Northfield Mountain for hiking / mountain biking.

Pocumtuck Ridge Traverse from Sugarloaf Mountain to Poet Seat Tower in Greenfield (6 mi one-way?)

Sugarloaf Mountain (short but steep)

Mount Toby (a selection of trails on that mountain, fire tower on summit)

Holyoke Range

Robert Frost Trail

Mt. Tom

There's plenty to do here. Not the difficulty of 4000-footers, but some very nice terrain nonetheless.

The Seven Sisters is an awesome, long hike. The Metacomet-Monadnock trail goes right over Mt. Holyoke. Note that the Summit House on top of Mt. Holyoke is currently closed as engineers evaluate & repair winter damage to the decks; however, the rest rooms are open, as are the picnic areas and ledge viewpoints.

Also, get thee over to Northampton in the evenings for terrific food, great culture, live music and shows. See http://www.iheg.com/index.asp and http://www.academyofmusictheatre.com/ There's also the Norwottuck rail trail that runs for 11 miles from Northampton through Hadley & Amherst. Finally, be sure to visit Atkins Farms for delicious produce and amazing cider donuts.

Go to Bub's BBQ in Sunderland. The best baby-back ribs in the state in my opinion. Cool, old-fashioned type place too.

Some decent waterfalls nearby: Gunn Brook Falls, Chapel Falls, Buffam Falls

Swimming hole an hour away: Pitcher Falls on AMC Noble View property.

Tons and tons of great restaurants in Northampton area

Bike the Norwottock Rail Trail, 11 miles each way; bike into Look Park @ western end.

U-Mass Amherst is nice to stroll around. Catch a concert @ the concert venue there.

The Hanger/Wings over Amherst is a cool place to watch sport games and eat the most delicious wings (boneless/bone-in) on the planet

Swimming at Puffer's Pond, but beware of 250 college students.

Basketball Hall of Fame 45 minutes to the south in Springfield. Eat @ attached Max's Tavern if you go.

Last edited:
Great pizza choices at Antonio's Pizzeria. It will blow you're mind!

Checkin' out the college girls. ;)

All mentioned are great. There is (was) a good swimming hole under the bridge on Bridge St/East Leverett Rd. with a rope swing. Always enjoyed the Amethyst Brook Conservation area on Pelham Road. One night a week there used to be movies on the common. It wasn't there when i went to UMass but I do enjoy the Amherst Brewery. North Hampton is not far away either and they have a good night life scene also. Antonio's and Bueno e Sano are must eat spots.

night swimming at Puffers' clothing is optional?:eek:

Also there is rock climbing (besides the hiking/mt biking) at Northfield Mountain

May I ask what it is you do that brings you to Amherst ? What do you like to do, I can point you in the right direction

All of the suggestions are good ones. I spend a lot of time wandering around the notch( Mt Holyoke & JA Skinner SP), take 116 south out of Amherst and the visitors center is located at the top of the hill. You can park and do about 6 miles in each direction before you cross a road.

Right below the Mt Holyoke summit house is my favorite bakery, Barstows dairy store and bakery, the M&M will lead you right by it. The summit house concerts are now being held at the Young Men's Club on east street in Hadley due to the deck at the summit house being "un safe" You can also find concerts on the common in South Hadley (116 @ Mt Holyoke College) Both are on Thursday nites.

Northampton has some great places to eat, Greenfield is getting its fair share of first class eateries too. Bueno E Sanyo is good Mesa Verde in Greenfield is better

In September 30,000 college students will appear in Amherst (pop ~34,000) that's its own spectacle when the population of the town doubles in a week. Check out eateries before this happens unless you like waiting and walking. If you park Illegally in Amherst you will get towed

If you need details about anything just let me know

Walking Rattlesnake Gutter Road from the Village Coop in Leveret, where you can park you vehicle, is great. Easy terrain but the gutter is just beautiful, as is the waterfall at the wooden bridge.~ 4 miles round trip.
The Coop itself is a neat spot. Homemade breads, delicious soup, etc.

Wendell State Park is just up the road from Leverett.

Also Notchview up RT 9 West is a great hiking and cross country ski area. It's is a Trustees of Reservations property and just a great place to hang out. You can walk for miles if you interconnect trails. On the drive to and from, you pass the Williamsburg Country store which has "apple wrapples" to die for. Better than any apple pie I have ever eaten. Neat place.

You can stop and check out Chesterfield Gorge on the way to Notchview, and DAR state park is nice to, especially in winter. Great snowshoeing area.
The place seems to attract snow!
http://www.thetrustees.org/search.jsp?query=notchview&x=0&y=0
Just click on the map request and you will get a decent PDF of the trail system.

Last edited: